Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 Announced

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 Announced

Postby mrslig100 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:20 pm

Am I the only one giving this a chance? Tron Legacy is great. Lucas is an idiot and a shit writer.

CRUCIFY HIM!
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby Kenny » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:28 pm

Ryudo wrote: To be fair he sold out after the first film and he didn't even make the other two. The minute the first cardboard box that was sold with no toys in it the the very minute he sold out then came the Christmas special. He has been banking ever since.

He definitely did sell out as far as I can tell. But he had alot of input on Empire and Jedi, supposedly directing much of Jedi himself.

Thing about Lucas is he's better when he's collaborating with other people, especially when those people tell him he's steering off the wrong path. In recent years he's just dictating what he wants without people correcting him or caving into his ludicrous suggestions, which is where his recent efforts are failing.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Tuffty » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:31 pm

The prequels had a number of problems, hell a lot of problems, but it is true that Lucas often has some great ideas. He needs people to work with who will take those ideas and help him develop them into something that works. Alas he'd become so powerful and/or employed such sycophants that everyone just said "yes George" all the time.

Really, there's no reason to be upset, this is perhaps the best Star Wars news in years. What could happen is if they release the original trilogy as is on Blu-Ray. I was going to suggest Joss Whedon to direct, but I hear he is to be directing Avengers 2 and 3. Anyone will be better at it now they can add their ideas and direction to the Universe, now that Lucas is removed out of the equation.

Tuffty has received a thanks from: Kenny
Tuffty
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby mrslig100 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:39 pm

He's like naughtydog, Made many things that where all great, sold them all out and all he's left with is uncharted without the uncharted.
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mrslig100 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:41 pm

mrslig100 has received a thanks from: Rakim
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Bluecast » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:48 pm

mrslig100 wrote:
Am I the only one giving this a chance? Tron Legacy is great. Lucas is an idiot and a shit writer.

CRUCIFY HIM!

Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Kenny » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:12 pm

Tuffty wrote:Really, there's no reason to be upset, this is perhaps the best Star Wars news in years. What could happen is if they release the original trilogy as is on Blu-Ray. I was going to suggest Joss Whedon to direct, but I hear he is to be directing Avengers 2 and 3. Anyone will be better at it now they can add their ideas and direction to the Universe, now that Lucas is removed out of the equation.

I'm also excited at the prospect that they'll finally release the ORIGINAL original trilogy on a proper format like DVD or Blu-Ray with full sound and picture remaster. I'll definitely buy it then as I only own the VHS tapes and digital copies of the laserdisc rips. I wouldn't mind if they also had Lucas' edits, as long as it has the untouched remastered originals as an option they can have my money.

I don't really agree with Whedon directing. I think he's a mediocre to terrible director. Avengers was alot of fun and I really liked it but there was something about it that just didn't seem right and that was down to the way it was presented (awkward upside down camera angles, weird close-ups, ect) that really took me out of the movie sometimes. I do agree he should write it, or do a rewrite, on the scripts. His writing has always been exceptional.

Only other thing that bothers me if Lucas is entirely out of the picture is that some people will just make it TOO goddamn serious. I remember playing the demo for Force Unleashed 2 and they presented the story as being oh-so badass, grim, dark, sadistic, stylish...and I was like "this is NOT Star Wars." Even the new Star wars 1313 takes itself way too seriously. It's like the people who made it DON'T get it at all.

What made Star Wars fun was the campy element, something Lucas completely overdosed on later on. Even Empire had its share of camp moments like Chewbacca trying to get C-3P0's parts back from these monsters playing catch and the winged monsters putting their face on the window of the Millennium Falcon. The original trilogy was a perfect mesh of camp and serious. Prequels were too camp and this newer stuff coming out is too serious.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:23 pm

Everything but the whedon thing I agree with. Tho Angel and Buffy got shit after season 3. He just could not support a series past 3 seasons without jumping the shark. Buffy started as a camp teens killing vampires to a college secret demon killing FBI military thing and witch lesbians and blowing up the entire town. Angel started as a vamp for hire vamp extermination service and ended with Peter Campbell as the son of Muppets while running a corporation :???:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby beedle » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:20 pm

hate joss whedon but guess it could be worse
beedle
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kenny » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:25 pm

I dunno about his TV shows, only saw Firefly didn't get past three episodes cause I was just getting so bored. Same with Serenity, got bored halfway through and skipped to the end...didn't like what I saw.

But his dialogue is really witty and cool. All the movies he's credited as writer I enjoyed.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:44 pm

LOVE Firefly and LOVE Serenity. Not a fan of Buffy or Angel. Never saw Dollhouse nor want to.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby KiBa » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:49 pm

beedle wrote: why does star wars need a fresh start or new batch of films

Bitchy answer: Because that's life. People remake stuff. We wouldn't have Shakespeare if he were not part of a long tradition of rewriting the same stories over and over again for centuries until masterpieces were achieved.

KiBa has received 2 thanks from: Bluecast, OL
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby beedle » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:47 am

it isn't being remade and rewritten for perfection though is it. it's having an extra story tacked on, not for art's sake, but for money's.
beedle
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby KiBa » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:16 am

Aren't you being a bit cynical, beedle? We don't know who's making it yet. It might be the life dream of some genius for whom destiny will now provide the opportunity.

There's a lot riding on it. Disney will want to do something a bit different, for they know how the world feels about the prequels. They'll want to make money precisely by doing a great job, else they will kill the franchise they just bought.

If you think about it, had the prequels been the three greatest movies ever made, Lucas would still have had to pass the torch at some point, but then there wouldn't be as much drive to improve the series. So, I'd say this whole thing is going to be a bit different than a pure milk job. It's actually necessary not to fail, for fear of all the fans Lucas angered over the last 15 years.

Besides, the prequels were Star Trek: The Next Generation competition. The new Star Wars will compete with J.J. Abrams' new Star Trek reboot. This means new toys, new games, new movies, and possibly new TV shows. Something good and fun has to come out of it.

See, what happened here is that Disney, being a money addict, was as shocked as everyone else that Lucas, like Sega, was just stubbornly sitting on a gigantic goldmine, doing nothing with it, bitter that fans didn't like his capstone. Remember that sad interview a months back? "Why should I make any more Star Wars movies if everyone hates them?" He was getting ready to sell.

If only Sega would do the same thing (go away), maybe someone who likes making money will (just a shot in the dark here) finally release the finished Shenmue HD edition before the end of this generation. I mean, really, especially with digital-only content, which costs nothing to distribute, you've got to be guano insane not to want to make guaranteed profit for all the work you put into it.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bluecast » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:36 am

Be funny if JJ was set to direct ep 7. So now he would be doing both reboots. He is a star wars fan. Maybe I'm wrong but if Whedon wrote it and jj directed. Be a great film. Whoever directs I do think whedon is the perfect writer for it. Now that disney owns both Marvel and Star Wars it is possible without a conflict of interest. Just a matter of time.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic