Variations of the patch image on the front of Ryo's jacket..

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Variations of the patch image on the front of Ryo's jacket..

Postby johnvivant » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:12 pm

haven't found any posts on this topic so i apologize if this has been discussed before but i was always curious about the image of the patch on the front of Ryo's jacket especially since it varies in different artworks. i think in both games its the horse (unicorn) image that is depicted but its difficult to see it since its all creased and in low resolution.

anyone got any idea's as to the symbolism of these images?
if it doesn't mean anything then why bother changing it for the final game?
it could be that the image changed during the course of development so some of the artworks might be very early.

if anyone has high quality in-game images of the patch from both games then that would be interesting.

here are some links to pics

does anyone think that the shenmue 2x artwork is very early concept art? thats why its different...

image from shenmue 1 - definitely not the unicorn but resolution is bad - but doesn't really look like the flags either.

shenmue 2 ending image depicts Ryo with the unicorn patch:

in the shenmue 1 cover art you can just see vaguely that its the black unicorn..

edit - shenmue 1 cover art this time in poster form and for some reason it changes back to the flags! weird!

shenmue 2 in-game pic- looks definitly like the horse..

judging from these pics, it seems that it was changed from shenmue 1 to shenmue 2... interesting... why do that?

edit - another shenmue 2 image but this time with the flags.. must be different textures in different contexts...maybe its all a continuity mistake

looks completly different again in the 'whats shenmue' demo:

the whats shenmue version looks the same as this image from edge magazine (you'll need to zoom):

that 3 different versions...

posting all this as i find it...i'll stop here.

edit - H S could be an acronym for High School... is this a high school badge? i wouldn't have thought you would put your school badge on a cool leather jacket?
i know in japan they wear naval like clothing for school uniform..this might explain the nautical symbols...?

early (i'm assuming) concept art with neither patch on the front or US flag on left arm. so adding these elements to the jacket was a later design choice?

tiger on the back was an early decision as shown here, but the design is different (prefer the final design - so cool) - also interesting to notice the plaster on the underside of lower jaw instead of being on the left cheeck bone (same as lan di which has been mentioned before)
Last edited by johnvivant on Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:57 pm, edited 12 times in total.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Re: Variations of the patch image on the front of Ryo's jack

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:32 pm

Well things change all the time during development. Could just be a simple case of they think the new design works better.

Could just be they had issues with it in game.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby johnvivant » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:40 pm

the texture quality of it in the games is terrible and you cant make it out at all especially playing in standard def. but i have a feeling there is some kind of meaning in it,

firstly they all contain a nautical 4 point star, which could represent the chi yu men leaders of the different regions which is widely discussed on these boards (along with their corresponding mythical creature)

johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:01 pm

Well wasn't his look simply to appeal to US gamers? I would be surprised if it had a meaning.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:25 pm

:-k But why change it randomly?
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:44 pm

Possibly an Easter Egg or an in-joke amongst the team.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Axm » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:51 pm

Never realized this john. Thanks for bringing it up.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby DreamcastPast » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:03 pm

Interesting subject. The recently licensed Insert Coin Shenmue hoodie has the 'flags' patch embroidered on it.

DreamcastPast has received a thanks from: wude
DreamcastPast
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Currently playing: Shenmue II

Postby Bluecast » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:04 pm

I always explained it in the first game what's his face says "I will make a special patch just for you"" and they are velcro and he changes them every so often
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:32 pm

Itoi-san?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Who Really Cares? » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:06 am

ShOzO MiZuKi wrote: :-k But why change it randomly?

Could just be a poor consistency from the devs?
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby nskachu » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:43 am

No, I think that represents something. But what does a unicorn stamd for? I'll look this up.

I found this: " The Qilin is generally considered a symbol of happiness, peacefulness, justice, and the blessing of children."
nskachu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with feelings

Postby johnvivant » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:22 pm

nskachu wrote: No, I think that represents something. But what does a unicorn stamd for? I'll look this up.

I found this: " The Qilin is generally considered a symbol of happiness, peacefulness, justice, and the blessing of children."

from what i have found the chinese unicorn Qilin looks a lot different to the western unicorn. the unicorn on ryo's jacket looks more like a western unicorn.

Quilin

western black unicorn

found this
"The Four Sacred Beasts: The Chinese Unicorn

There is an ancient Chinese myth which explains the creation of the universe. In the beginning, the universe was merely an egg. Heaven and earth were not separate. The stars and the planets were one. But when the egg of the universe cracked, Chaos spilled out. Heaven and earth separated and the stars and planets split.

Into this chaos came P'an Ku, the first god/human. It took him 18,000 years to create the present universe and earth. He was assisted in this work of creation by the four most fortunate animals--the dragon, the phoenix, the tortoise and the unicorn. When P'an Ku's work was completed, he died. The dragon swan into the seas. The tortoise crawled into the swampy wetlands. The phoenix rose into the sky and flew to the open lands. The unicorn galloped into the green forests. These four sacred animals became the guardians of the hidden realms upon the earth and those places beyond, where their strength is undiminished by contact with humans."

4 compass directions
4 sacred beasts assisting P'an Ku, with the creation of the earth

'The unicorn galloped into the green forests.' - is Ryo a representation of the unicorn and when he reached Guilin he galloped in the green forest? its a stretch...

whole site about unicorns here if anyone is interested. i look through it more later.
http://www.allaboutunicorns.com

johnvivant has received 3 thanks from: DreamcastPast, MiTT3NZ, nskachu
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Master Kyodai » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:38 pm

I think the one from Whats Shenmue is a black Knight (Chess piece) At least thats also used in the Shenmue 1 high-res textures (Inside Hazuki mansion or talking head????)

I think that's also the one used for the in-game photos

Master Kyodai has received a thanks from: johnvivant
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby johnvivant » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:26 pm

Master Kyodai wrote: I think the one from Whats Shenmue is a black Knight (Chess piece) At least thats also used in the Shenmue 1 high-res textures (Inside Hazuki mansion or talking head????)

I think that is as good a view as we are going to get of that version, well done. it still looks very strange, i suppose i can see what you mean about it possibly being a knight chess piece, but why didn't they have it at more of a side angle (in profile). then you would have been able to see what it was better.

to be honest it looks more like a distressed horse, in a straight jacket, wearing striped pantaloons...lol

i don't think i've seen that version anywhere else apart from whats shenmue demo, and those photographs as you say...

if it was the case that they were trying many different images to see what best appeared in game, then why did it still end up so terrible. its not something that many people would even notice .

edit - so Master Kyodai, are you also saying that this version is also used in the high res Ryo from passport disc?
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Next

Return to Shenmue