What "makes" Shenmue for you?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

What "makes" Shenmue for you?

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:16 pm

Be as vague or in-depth as you like, I wanna know what you think "makes" Shenmue (and Shenmue II) what it is. Be it Corey Marshall voicing Ryo, the soundtrack, or simply the ability to pick up random objects for the hell of it. What elements of the games could it categorically not go without?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Re: What "makes" Shenmue for you?

Postby south carmain » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:18 pm

sense of exploration, discovery of culture, freedom and the sense of escapism to another reality it gives

south carmain has received a thanks from: Rakim
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Kenny » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:12 pm

An arcade or some type of minigame involving darts.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:33 pm

I'm gonna have to agree with both above, but on a bigger scale. I think every aspect of the game makes Shenmue what it is. I can't imagine not having something missing, like the capsules, arcade, FREE, storyline, weather change, hilarious voice acting, Corey's voice, the music, all of it. There is no one x-factor that I think makes the game, but a series of factors that make up the game that I love so dearly.

Yokosuka Martian has received a thanks from: johnvivant
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:45 pm

What if things were inverted? What if the first game was set in Hong Kong, and the second was set in Japan? What if Iwao was out to avenge his son's death? What if the working sections weren't at a harbour, but were set in an industrial estate? What if instead of cans, you got bottles from the vending machine? And what if instead of capsule toys it was trading cards?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:45 pm

To elaborate a bit more on the culture side i think that a lot of people liked the fact that the games had a strong influence from east asian culture allowing them to immerse in to something completely different from their day to day life even if it was taking up the day to day life of a virtual character
Last edited by south carmain on Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Bluecast » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:53 pm

Atmosphere setting and music,the detail and technical marvel it is. Everything else to me was average. But those things I love it for make it so amazing I forget the bad acting and writing.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:55 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: What if things were inverted? What if the first game was set in Hong Kong, and the second was set in Japan? What if Iwao was out to avenge his son's death? What if the working sections weren't at a harbour, but were set in an industrial estate? What if instead of cans, you got bottles from the vending machine? And what if instead of capsule toys it was trading cards?

I'm not quite sure Dave, I think it;s a bit hard to analyze that idea on whether I would like it or not since we've already been exposed to a different vision so it's hard to say. I think if that was the original idea I would like it as well since I assume it would still be the ambitious game that Suzuki wanted it to be. Every aspect of the actual Shenmue just has so much meaning to me and I'm sure a lot of people. The game is attached to actual memories that made us feel good and that is why I'm sure alot of us cherish it as well.
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Bluecast » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:57 pm

Personal opinion. Shenmue is the best immersive atmospheric open world ever made.

Bluecast has received a thanks from: ThyDarkAngel
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Mitsuzuki » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:42 am

For me it's the way the games have roots in reality. The story takes place in real settings that start at a real time. It gives an amazing sense of freedom but doesn't go outside of the rules of the story. Unlike what other games have done, you wouldn't have Ryo pull someone from their car, punch them in the face, take their money then run them over with their own ride as they pick themselves up. Ryo wouldn't do it in his story and neither would you in real life.

That's why it connects and resonates with us because as we play, it puts us in Ryo's shoes and makes his story our story. The whole experience starts to feel like something real which allows you to invest yourself completely.

Take all that and wrap it in all the insanely high production value that's already been touched on here and what you have is a gaming experience that simply stands alone. it's more than a game. It's Shenmue.

Mitsuzuki has received 4 thanks from: lavrentis, MiTT3NZ, ThyDarkAngel, Ziming
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:04 am

Fucking yes. Restricting the player to what he or she could/would realistically do. Now that is a good answer.

MiTT3NZ has received 2 thanks from: Mitsuzuki, ThyDarkAngel
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:42 am

sailors
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby teddykrueger » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:08 am

The amazing attention to detail, that you're given almost infinity time to explore at your own pace.
Revenge story, the atmosphere, the color-scheme, the amazing soundtrack, the different characters that you can
interact with, the weather system, i could go on for hours ... =P
teddykrueger
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby RyoHazuki84 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:33 am

It combines many things I have always loved; martial arts movies, games, virtua fighter, Japan, Asia as a whole, the 1980s, it will always be highly ambitious, it had interesting characters, and many others. I still have my receipt when I bought the Japanese version on December 31, 1999. I am not ashamed that the first thing I did when it hit midnight to mark the year 2000 I was playing Shenmue. It was one of the main reasons why I got a Dreamcast as well. I felt that Shenmue was a game that spoke to me. It was the game I was looking for my whole life. Something of a digital soul mate if you will. I love it to the point that if this series is not complete, I am not complete.

I was studying Japanese at my school and I saw it as an opportunity to simulate myself in Japan. At that point, I had been studying Japanese for about a year and a half, I only knew the basic sentence structures and had a descent vocab and the game just motivated me to study my hardest in and out of the classroom. I couldn't understand a good fraction of the dialog, but always understand when I needed to go somewhere, etc. But the cultural and environmental authenticity made me take it seriously. I liked in Yokosuka, everyone somewhat knows you and you already do feel some connection to area. But when you go to China, it is a whole new world and you are discovering it with Ryo where it is much bigger and the people are fishy, etc. I loved imitating the moves and practicing them in real life. I liked practicing the elbow, the tornado kick, the counter elbow, the double palm strike, etc.

Getting a job was kind of fun. I liked earning money and having fun making an honest living. I remember at one point, I wanted to work as a forklift operator at a harbor lol.

I loved the QTE scenes. It just brought this kind of excitement that you could control the outcome of a cutscene within mere seconds creating some results.

I honestly could go on and on but Shenmue is just something to me as if it were my true love.

RyoHazuki84 has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, nskachu
RyoHazuki84
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby ShenGCH » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:54 pm

Shenmue is a very personal game for me. Around the time the game came out, and I first started playing it, I was being bullied very badly at school, and home life really wasn't happy families, but Shenmue was always something that I could go back to to look after me and give me the warmth and comfort that I was otherwise not receiving from anywhere else. That, and even now, thirteen years later, Shenmue is able to do things that games haven't even come close to nowadays.

I'm not proud of very many things in my life, but I am proud to say that Shenmue changed my life and damn well made me who I am today.

xx

ShenGCH has received 2 thanks from: mue 26, ThyDarkAngel
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to Shenmue