Unpopular Opinions

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Unpopular Opinions

Postby Jeff » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:24 pm

Spokane wrote: Everything Jeff has said, except that thing about black people and slavery.

And my first thought on the topic was global warming is a hoax.

When did I say anything about black people and slavery? :-s
Jeff
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

PSN: jgk1020
XBL: jgkny
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Halo Master Chief Col

Postby Spokane » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:27 pm

Someone did then, who was it. Sorry I just skimmed the topic but as usual I agree with everything you have said. Sorry if it wasn't you.

Slavery ended up being good for some black people. Some ended up settling and leading decent lives in decent countries (like America), instead of still being stuck in some AIDS-infested civil war hotbed of a country that still exists in Africa.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:29 pm

Well, slavery led to better lives for the descendants of slaves, and helped the Western world become more... tolerable, socially accepting people. Whilst this doesn't apply to a lot of people, it applies to enough to justify the fact that there were positives as a result of such a black mark on human history (pun not intended btw, but it does work well, doesn't it?)

MiTT3NZ has received 2 thanks from: OL, St. Elmo's Fire
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Spokane » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:34 pm

Yeah.. but that really is an unpopular opinion.

If you came to America and said that to most people they would not associate with you anymore. :lol:

Saying slavery was a good thing no matter the reasons given are one of the biggest no nos in American society today.

I remember in high school I said something about Asians being smarter than white people and everyone misunderstood and thought I was insulting the Asians.
Spokane
RobotWillie
Shenmue III

PSN: RobotWillie
Steam: RobotWillie
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior

Postby mue 26 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:43 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Well, slavery led to better lives for the descendants of slaves, and helped the Western world become more... tolerable, socially accepting people. Whilst this doesn't apply to a lot of people, it applies to enough to justify the fact that there were positives as a result of such a black mark on human history (pun not intended btw, but it does work well, doesn't it?)

What a load of nonsense. How do you know the lives of the descendants are better than they would have been if Africa had never been ripped apart by Europe? As for your second point, that's debatable to say the least. Claiming that dehumanising a group of people somehow made the dehumanisers more humane, is a strange argument.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Rakim » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:44 pm

lol. I was pondering something similar recently. How horrible the world would be, for me at least, if slavery had never happened. Almost all the music I live-by would never have existed. Everything from jazz and hip hop to all the great rock bands and soul singers. Then my thoughts immediately turned to how racist it would come off when I tried to explain it later.

Rakim has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, St. Elmo's Fire
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:18 pm

Well, I obviously didn't put it as well as Rakim, but that was the general idea. Either way, you can spout all the "materialistic things mean nothing" bullshit all you want (Christ, we're on a forum dedicated to a video game that we access via computers and gadgets), but I can guarantee you that the majority of black people in the western world would rather get the bus to work, do a 9-5, and come back home to TV, warm meals and a bed as opposed to the conditions in the majority of African nations.

Why do you think so many African footballers and other sportsmen stay in England, America, France, etc. when they retire? Hell, why do you think so many Africans come over here in the first place?

EDIT: And on the other point, do you think equality exists because of technological advancements or because of lessons learned via history? I'd say the latter.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: St. Elmo's Fire
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Brothaman » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:36 pm

Slavery was not good for black people, period. First off, the slave trade is responsible for the current condition of some of the Africa's undeveloped ares. Second, several thousand Africans died on during their boat ride, far beyond holocaust numbers. Us decedents of Africans did not need our ancestors to be captured and enslaved to have a "better opportunity". Hell, I can make allot more money if I move back to Africa (which I probably will at some point.)

Brothaman has received 2 thanks from: wude, Yukupo
Brothaman
Purple Reign
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:09 pm

Never once said that it was good for black people. A positive coming out of something bad doesn't mean it's implied as good. For example...

A young, wealthy 30 year-old dies a horrible death. Leaves all his money in his will to his uncle, who's about to have his house repossessed. Something good comes out of something awful.

Or historically...

Romans invade Britain, kick our arses up n down the country killin n rapin anythin along the way. We ended up benefiting from their advancements in technology.

Or religiously...

Jesus gets tortured and killed. All sins are forgiven.

The event itself is beyond reconciliation, but the results of it help build a better world, believe it or not. If I remember right, that's the whole thing behind the climax of the Watchmen (not that I'm comparing real life to comic books/films... although I did previously mention a religious thing, but still...)

No, slavery may not have been 'needed', hell it was never even suggested, but the alternatives could've been far worse. History tends to tell us one thing... Nations like to attack other nations before deciding whether or not "they're cool." Besides that, the idea of slavery was actually kinda stolen from Africa in the first place. And whilst I don't agree with any of the shit (or a lot of what followed), the situation now has spun out of that. Hell, even Blues began due to the slave trade. So whilst it was awful, disgusting, inhumane, etc., can you honestly say that the world would've been a better place if it had never existed?

And you cannot blame the current state of Africa on the slave trade. Certain, and often major parts of Africa's history on a whole remains to this day rather sketchy, because - as Gil Scott-Heron so eloquently and sarcastically stated - "nothin was written down on paper."

MiTT3NZ has received 2 thanks from: OL, St. Elmo's Fire
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:25 pm

I don't like cake

USA is one of the worst run arrogant ignorant idiotic and evil countries in the history of planet earth

Bluecast has received a thanks from: wude
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby mue 26 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:19 pm

And you cannot blame the current state of Africa on the slave trade. Certain, and often major parts of Africa's history on a whole remains to this day rather sketchy, because - as Gil Scott-Heron so eloquently and sarcastically stated - "nothin was written down on paper."

No, you can absolutely link much of the trouble Africa faces today on what the destructive forces of Europe and America did. This really is factual. And the legacy of the slave trade is still with us today. There have been no reparations made for this HUGE debt to the African people owed by America and Europe, and that debt of life is the real debt that countries like America (which was built by slaves) owe, forget all this deficit BS. African countries are now dealing with the issues that colonisation left them with, and are now also facing neo-imperialism.

And there is actually plenty of recorded history of Africa and it's many empires, rich culture, art , ect.

mue 26 has received a thanks from: Brothaman
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Brothaman » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:23 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote: Never once said that it was good for black people. A positive coming out of something bad doesn't mean it's implied as good. For example...

A young, wealthy 30 year-old dies a horrible death. Leaves all his money in his will to his uncle, who's about to have his house repossessed. Something good comes out of something awful.

Or historically...

Romans invade Britain, kick our arses up n down the country killin n rapin anythin along the way. We ended up benefiting from their advancements in technology.

Or religiously...

Jesus gets tortured and killed. All sins are forgiven.

Allot more negative things came from slavery than positive.

MiTT3NZ wrote: The event itself is beyond reconciliation, but the results of it help build a better world, believe it or not. If I remember right, that's the whole thing behind the climax of the Watchmen (not that I'm comparing real life to comic books/films... although I did previously mention a religious thing, but still...)

Yes the results help build a better world... that Africans don't even benefit from. SMFH.

MiTT3NZ wrote: No, slavery may not have been 'needed', hell it was never even suggested, but the alternatives could've been far worse. History tends to tell us one thing... Nations like to attack other nations before deciding whether or not "they're cool." Besides that, the idea of slavery was actually kinda stolen from Africa in the first place. And whilst I don't agree with any of the shit (or a lot of what followed), the situation now has spun out of that. Hell, even Blues began due to the slave trade. So whilst it was awful, disgusting, inhumane, etc., can you honestly say that the world would've been a better place if it had never existed?

Actually it was being suggested from what I was reading. And I have no idea where the hell you are getting you historic "facts" from. In Africa, there really were not slaves. Mostly servants, but not the same brutal form of slavery in the US. And fuck yes I can say the world would been allot better without slavery. Black would have been able to contribute to world even more than what we have/do. Music and entertainment is nice, but contribution in science is allot more important.

MiTT3NZ wrote: And you cannot blame the current state of Africa on the slave trade. Certain, and often major parts of Africa's history on a whole remains to this day rather sketchy, because - as Gil Scott-Heron so eloquently and sarcastically stated - "nothin was written down on paper."

Actually, allot was recorded. Paper and writing did come from Africa after all, (even though it will never be accredited). Most of records where destroyed by invaders. But I will give you that slavery itself was not the single thing that did Africa in. Civil wars and drought played a big role too. I can go on, but I see it's kind of pointless. I don't think anybody is a racist or anything, but just completely wrong .

Brothaman has received 2 thanks from: mue 26, Spokane
Brothaman
Purple Reign
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:27 pm

Mittz said what I was gonna, re: the "what the Romans did for us" argument. Then he said a load of other stuff way better than I would have done. It started before whitey got there though, and still goes on to this day in a handful of those countries. The slaves that the white man bought were sold to us by blacks themselves, who also profited well from the whole thing. Tribal wars, civil wars, and AIDs IS a problem in some of the countries. Then there's the occasional news story that pops up every so often about drugged up "zombie" slaves being found by the UN or whoever. It was obviously a very bad thing overall, but I'm still not gonna deny that for some, they did end up better out of a bad situation.
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:43 pm

I thought Paper was invented by the chinese as well as ink.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Brothaman » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:36 pm

St. Elmo's Fire wrote: Mittz said what I was gonna, re: the "what the Romans did for us" argument. Then he said a load of other stuff way better than I would have done. It started before whitey got there though, and still goes on to this day in a handful of those countries.

True.

St. Elmo's Fire wrote: The slaves that the white man bought were sold to us by blacks themselves, who also profited well from the whole thing. Tribal wars, civil wars, and AIDs IS a problem in some of the countries.

Well in the beginning yes, I have to agree. During the wars in Africa, the captured where traded to Europeans for guns. But eventually Arabs and Europeans did invade and enslave the most habitats and destroyed the infrastructure. So for the ones that did escape and survived, this lead to a never ending grasp for power.

St. Elmo's Fire wrote: Then there's the occasional news story that pops up every so often about drugged up "zombie" slaves being found by the UN or whoever. It was obviously a very bad thing overall, but I'm still not gonna deny that for some, they did end up better out of a bad situation.

Dude, there's drugged up zombies to be found across the whole entire planet. Ever heard of the drug "bath salts"? I understand where you're coming from though. A very few did benefit, but as a whole, most did not (Ex: imperialism, colonialism, apartheid, oppression, etc). And at some point, the African kingdoms would have eventually finished battling without any outside interference.

Ryudo wrote: I thought Paper was invented by the chinese as well as ink.

Papyrus was used by the Egyptians first, by almost a century. And I'm pretty sure they wrote with something.

Brothaman has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Brothaman
Purple Reign
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic