Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Re: Shenmue retrospective

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:47 am

For a game series that's considered dead, it does seem to get an awful lot of yearly write-ups/'retrospectives'.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Bluecast » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:59 am

Shenmue is really the Labyrinth/UHF of 90's games. It's not as Forgotten as some want to believe or as not recognized as some want to believe. Like those films it has built a a big cult fanbase over time and as usual with a cult fanbase they get louder as time goes on.

It's a good thing. Also helps the Dreamcast itself has a large cult fanbase still actively making games for it yearly.
For a system that last only 2 years it's full official library is close to 700 games so a full life cycle. So with the sole shenmue fanbase and sole DC fanbase they both often love both the game and the system which gives it's audience twice as large
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby IAmNotABot » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:01 am

It's interesting that Martin Robinson decided to write a retrospective now, of all times... Lovely write-up.

My piece on Shenmue II will be finished in the week. This series needs to reclaim its voice.

IAmNotABot has received a thanks from: mue 26
IAmNotABot
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Currently playing: Street Fighter 3rd Strike

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:53 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rccW9Tig6_Y[/youtube]

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: Yokosuka Martian
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Miles Prower » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:02 pm

Really nice article; basically sums up my own feelings about Shenmue's brilliant atmosphere :D
Miles Prower
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

XBL: sppeac1987

Postby IAmNotABot » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:47 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rccW9Tig6_Y[/youtube]

The music in that video is actually very good; pretty reminiscent of Beck.

It's a bit embarrassing, but I want it on my iPod...
IAmNotABot
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby mue 26 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:16 pm

Quite a good article. We've been lucky to have two very good retrospectives lately :)

Roll on the Shenmue 2 retrospectives I say. There never were enough (and can never be enough) retrospective's on Muey 2 :)

mue 26 has received a thanks from: IAmNotABot
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Luvly KM » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:58 pm

This was surprisingly vibrant and freshly written... you can tell he really enjoyed the experience of visiting Dobuita, laptop in tow.

To any Shenmue non-believer this would be a good touch stone. Very readable and informative... also his thesis of 'travelling to games worlds' is very clean and precise. now it sounds like i'm describing champagne...

Luvly KM has received a thanks from: Yokosuka Martian
Luvly KM
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:13 am

I preferred the other recent article, IAmNotABot's, where the passion flowed off the page. This one's a little more restrained, written in a self-conscious style of forced analysis that barely reflects his motivation for such a pilgrimage. If you want to convert a non-believer, show them the other one first.

Let's Get Sweaty has received 2 thanks from: IAmNotABot, mue 26
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Luvly KM » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:17 am

whilst i liked the other one very much.. It isn't as sharp, the first few paragraphs are dulled with platitudes you see in many articles. Shenmue is this, Shenmue is that. It bogs down the message but I don't want to be too critical as the underlining essence is great.

Luvly KM has received 2 thanks from: IAmNotABot, Who Really Cares?
Luvly KM
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby IAmNotABot » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:19 pm

I hear you on that. Perhaps I was too all-encompassing in my approach, but I wanted to appeal even to the uninitiated (Newb Review) - in that even if the essence of Shenmue doesn't impress them, I wanted for them to at least appreciate the game for its superficial accolades, while engaging fans at the same time. Not easy.

This will not be an issue in my Shenmue II write-up, as I now have that out of the way.

IAmNotABot has received a thanks from: Luvly KM
IAmNotABot
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:30 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P9eecvkhcs[/youtube]

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: wude
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby mue 26 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:44 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: I preferred the other recent article, IAmNotABot's, where the passion flowed off the page. This one's a little more restrained, written in a self-conscious style of forced analysis that barely reflects his motivation for such a pilgrimage. If you want to convert a non-believer, show them the other one first.

This. I preferred the Iamnotabot's one too. The EG one definitely comes across as a lot more self conscious and forced, almost pretentious at times. It may please a faux-arty/intellectual gamer more, but as you rightly pointed out it's nowhere near natural or impassioned as Bot's, and most importantly, it doesn't really capture the heart of Shenmue as well. I got a bit annoyed of the EG guy constantly describing Yokosuka as "dull", I mean yeah sure there are a lot of mundane elements about it, but he seemed to almost completely ignore the wildly colourful, flamboyant and mystic side of Yokosuka. What about the vivid and rich colours, what about Tom with his dancing dreads and hotdogs, what about the crazy guy with the pompadour, what about the trip to the secret basement at the Hazuki dojo? He even claims the dub is disconnected and detached, well yeah Ryo is, but what about the rest of the delightfully campy dub? The appeal of Shenmue for many was as much it's flamboyance as it's grounded nature, and the author definitely seemed to dismiss this flamboyance. It would have given me the wrong idea about the game if I had read this before playing the it. And yeah, you'd wonder why the author wanted to go to travel Yokosuka in the first place.

I did still enjoy reading though, but I liked Bot's one better too.

mue 26 has received a thanks from: IAmNotABot
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Luvly KM » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:04 pm

IAmNotABot wrote: I hear you on that. Perhaps I was too all-encompassing in my approach, but I wanted to appeal even to the uninitiated (Newb Review) - in that even if the essence of Shenmue doesn't impress them, I wanted for them to at least appreciate the game for its superficial accolades, while engaging fans at the same time. Not easy.

This will not be an issue in my Shenmue II write-up, as I now have that out of the way.

Perhaps i was being critical because i know how hard it is to write about Shenmue. Talking about all the crucial nuances which make it what it is: a thousand words can disappear in a flash. I bet you deleted just as many notes and paragraphs as there was published :] all equally important to the essence of Shenmue

Luvly KM has received a thanks from: IAmNotABot
Luvly KM
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Next

Return to Shenmue