Best 3DS/DS games

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Best 3DS/DS games

Postby Axm » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:28 pm

Just got me a 3DS for jesus day yesturday. It came with Mario 3D land and I also got Resident Evil Revelations. Both games are great.

Was thinking of getting DQ9 and a Pokemon game. What pokemon game should I get? Isnt their like a thousand of them now?
Also what other games should I get?
Havent messed around with a DS since 2006.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Re: Best 3DS/DS games

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:45 pm

The DS is a goldmine if you can weed through the hamster cooking sims.

Here are some of my favorites:

Soul Bubbles
Elite Beat Agents
Super Scribblenauts
Jewel Quest Expeditions
Donkey Kong: Jungle Climber
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
Mario & Luigi: Brothers in Time/Bowser's Inside Story
Ace Attorney series (Phoenix Wright, Apollo Justice, Miles Edgeworth)

I've played very few games on my 3DS so far. You have Mario 3D Land, and I'm sure you already have an opinion on Ocarina of Time, so that just leaves me to say: "Lego Pirates of the Carribbean is not a series highlight."

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Calshot » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:46 pm

Some other games for your consideration:

The World Ends With You
Chrono Trigger
9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors
Hotel Dusk series

I haven't played the following games but they were recommended by other Dojo users

Infinite Space
Okamiden
Solatorobo: Red the Hunter
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked (3DS)
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

There's more but I'm sure the other Dojo'ers will mention them.
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:09 pm

Shinobi on 3DS is really good, its ugly but plays great.

I think Spence needs to get in on this, he knows about DS games.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Thief » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:21 pm

You could get the first Front Mission on DS. A mech/war turn based strategy game with a wonderful story/cast/world et cetera. I'm a fanboy for Front Mission... I guess.

Also, if you like Harvest Moon, the new one for 3DS (A New Beginning) is actually pretty good. Not Harvest Moon 64, Back to Nature, or Friends of Mineral Town good but still pretty good.

Thief has received a thanks from: OL
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:17 pm

The 3DS can also play imported DS games as they aren't region locked so that's a plus.If you want a pokemon game,you can buy either black or white.Or if you want one of the older pokemon games you can get heart gold or soul silver.
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:25 pm

ds games that use dsi features are region locked, my pokemon black 2 won't play on my us 3ds
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Samanosuke Akechi » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:43 pm

Never noticed that Black and White had dsi features.In that case he can always buy HS/SS.I think the DS had a few Dragon Quest games if Axm is interested.So many to pick from when it comes to DS games.
Samanosuke Akechi
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby Rakim » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:04 pm

Hotel Dusk and its sequel
Professor Layton and its many sequels
Dragon Quest 9 and the earlier DQ game remakes. especially DQV
Warioware Touched
The Kingdom Hearts spinoff games if you're into that series
Chrono Trigger remake just cuz its freakin Chrono Trigger
Ace Attorney games
Heart Gold - then you don't have to deal with all the new guys and you can enjoy a nostalgia overload
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:28 am

Apart from the ones mentioned already (like Hotel Dusk and Last Window, Elite Beat Agents, Ghost Trick, Soul Bubbles, 999, WarioWare Touched and WarioWare DIY) I'd pitch in Chibi-Robo Park Patrol and Rhythm Heaven.

Electroplankton, Space Invaders Extreme are good timewasters, and Tetris DS is probably the best Tetris avaiable.

As for 3DS apart from the obvious (Ocarina), I'd suggest Crush 3D, Pushmo (digital-only) and Virtue's Last Reward. And Kid Icarus?
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:17 am

To be break it down into genres:

Adventure
9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
Flower, Sun & Rain
Ghost Trick
Ace Attorney series
Hotel Dusk
Lux Pain

RPG
Front Mission DS (Strategy/Tactical RPG)
Final Fantasy IV (my favourite version of the game)
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey (first person dungeon crawler)
Devil Survivor 2 (Strategy/Tactical RPG: think old school Shin Megami Tensei meets Persona, turned into a Tactical RPG, that's Devil Survivor)
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume (Strategy/Tactical RPG)
Not played any of them, but the Dragon Quest games look quite good

That's most of my own favourites, anyway.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:02 pm

Can't say much about the 3DS yet, but most of my favorites on the DS have already been represented.
999 has an amazing story, Flower, Sun, and Rain is a veritable videogame "art film", The World Ends With You is the DS's system-definer in my eyes, the Chrono Trigger remake is excellently well-made, and Front Mission -- the whole reason I bought the DS to begin with -- is absolute SRPG brilliance (we missed it when it came out for the Super Famicom, so I'm incredibly thankful we were finally able to get this version).

Just to add to those:
Legend of Kage 2 is a really fantastic side-scrolling action game. If you ever miss the heyday of great ninja sidescrollers, this one would be right up your alley. Fantastic controls, good music, and a great visual style. All the essentials are there.

Theresia is slightly more niche, but if you want a really original, inventive handheld horror game, this would be the one for you. The two stories in it are incredibly dark and unusual, the art style is appropriately creepy, the sound work is surprisingly good for a game that was originally made for mobile phones, and the puzzles ought to take you a good while to figure out. This is one of the greatest "hidden gems" that I've ever had the pleasure of playing.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:37 pm

It's funny how the SNES version of Front Mission had a better translation than the dry, direct one we got for the DS version, but the inclusion of the 1st Mission (PSX game originally) with it, so it's like two games in one, was a really nice surprise for me. A shame the other DS Front Mission games never made it across to the West...

On the 3DS side of things, Ocarina is great, still to this day my favourite Zelda and the new Fire Emblem is definitely something to look forward to (the more I hear about it, the better it sounds). Speaking of ninja action titles, Shinobi for 3DS is also similarly great, if you want a ninja action game. It's pretty ugly, but man, the gameplay more than makes up for it, it's got that classic Shinobi design, the developers were Western, but it's pretty obvious they got what Shinobi was all about and that's what is important. The game is a celebration of the whole series.

I just got Virtue's Last Reward for Christmas and it's definitely a game you should play after 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors otherwise the story may be a bit spoil for you. It's incredibly good so far though, plenty of mysteries and twists.

I can definitely see a game like The World Ends With You appealing to somebody like Axm though, it's right up his alley (since he appears to be a fan of Japanese games that fit into that style, very stylish).

Even though I proclaim myself to be a big fan of the DS, it still amazes me how much there is still to play for it (I actually have a few of the games, just not gotten around to playing them yet), the library for it is nothing short of mindblowing.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Stocke » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:17 pm

Most of the decent DS games have been said already, a couple that haven't been mentioned are the Advanced war games, and Radiant Historia, which funnily enough is what i was playing when i originally created my dojo account.

The DS really does have some cracking games.
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:16 am

Oh yeah! If you're in America, get Retro Game Challenge!

I keep forgetting it because I don't have it (it didn't come out in Europe, and I haven't got around to importing it yet), but I'm sure it'll bring a smile to your face

Vyse Hazuky has received a thanks from: OL
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Return to General Gaming