Valve/nVidia & Square-Enix(?!) Making Consoles

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: More Competitors - Valve & nVidia Making Consoles

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:42 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:Shut up sonic 4 is awesome :P

http://www.gen2gens.com/t132-sonic-remake-using-unity

Now that's awesome. :P
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:54 pm

I guess that answers the question you asked me once about Unity.

I don't use it on my 2D stuff (I might but I actually kind of like the easier XNA and CoCos2D packages) but if I were doing something 3D Unity is the shit.

Thats one of the cool things about Ouya, you can use like anything to make a game for it.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:04 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: I guess that answers the question you asked me once about Unity.

I don't use it on my 2D stuff (I might but I actually kind of like the easier XNA and CoCos2D packages) but if I were doing something 3D Unity is the shit.

Thats one of the cool things about Ouya, you can use like anything to make a game for it.

Well also Agent of Fortune is making a game using Unity. I also asked because Nintendo signed that deal.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:17 am

3 reasons why the steam box might still be a piece of shit.

1: Controller support- This isn't mandatory, sure big picture mode exists, there are still PC games being made that don't support controllers, heck there are games that support games for windows live and are console ports that don't support it.

2: Exclusivity- Guess what PCs have exclusivity as well. Mass Effect 3 and Battlefield are exclusive to Origin, aka not on steam. Ubisoft looks like its gearing up to make the Uplay client its unified service for all consoles and Activision-Blizzard have released a bunch of games that are exclusive to their proprietary services. More then likely, you will have less big budget games available to you then if you had a PS4 or Durango, and thats not even counting console exclusives like Halo, Resistance, etc.

3. DRM- Steam is DRM, even if its running on linux. Thats also not to say games that use specific DRMs like SecuRom and GFWL will also not be available on SteamBox. Eve Android has games with a limited DRM in them. People cried bloody murder when Chaos rings came out because it did a root check and even now it verifies the integrity of the game every time you start it up. These things may not be common practice now, but just like DRM made its way to Droid if more games are made for Linux, more type of DRM will be created for it.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby MiTT3NZ » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:06 am

What's everyone's problem with Sonic 4? I reckon they're better than the Mega Drive installments (which btw, haven't aged nearly aa gracefully as Super Mario World)
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:53 am

Episode 1 had the physics all wrong. So wrong that I wondered if the developers had ever played a Sonic game before. I hear this was fixed, to at least some degree, in Episode 2 but I haven't played it.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby KiBa » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:14 am

I think each and every one of you is cantankerous. And no game of the ancients has aged as gracefully as Sonic 2. Super Mario World was boring when it came out, and it's still agonizingly boring.

KiBa has received a thanks from: OL
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Sonikku » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:31 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: What's everyone's problem with Sonic 4? I reckon they're better than the Mega Drive installments (which btw, haven't aged nearly aa gracefully as Super Mario World)

I disagree. I found myself booting up the original Sonic the other night just to smack around some badniks and run through loop de loops before heading to bed. I might be more inclined to agree that games like Sonic Adventure have not aged as well, but the 2D ones still retain a distinctive charm. :)

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Who Really Cares?
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:00 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: Everything about it is open source.

Is Android THAT open? Something that's handled by the Google company? That is pretty surprising if it is!
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:07 pm

In my humble opinion, Valve is paradise for their workers, a studio that makes solid games and... boring. Sorry, not interested, at all.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby ShenmueTree » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:10 pm

Yes, Android is open. So open in fact there are separate third-party versions of the OS called ROMS such as MIUI, Cyanogen, and Synergy.

ShenmueTree has received a thanks from: St. Elmo's Fire
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:05 pm

St. Elmo's Fire wrote:
Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: Everything about it is open source.

Is Android THAT open? Something that's handled by the Google company? That is pretty surprising if it is!

Apple is the Nintendo of the 80's a firm grip and EVERYTHING that comes through the door and only allowed on IOS on Apples terms when Apple says. Android is like PSone. Saying hey guys make anything you want how you want when you want. Yeah it's open source all the way.

@Mitts I love ya but lol no. Sonic 4 isn't really bad it's just lazy all the way around II was better than Ep1 but not by a whole lot. Controls were an issue and a minor but subjective was the bad music and visuals. Reading the History of SOnic book. Damn they poured so many technical milestones in the Genesis games and never slept honestly. They poured their souls into them. Sonic 4 is just lazy from head to toe. Too many issues to get into but yeah. I'd even argue the first Sonic Advance is a better candidate for Sonic 4 or even better why not Sonic Cd?

Bluecast has received a thanks from: St. Elmo's Fire
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Thief » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Didn't Sonic CD come out before 2 though? :P

I agree though, Sonic Advance kicks ass and is pretty much Sonic 4, but who cares about numbers and what they call them, right? A good game is a good game. I had a friend who was really upset that Final Fantasy 11 was an online game and that they shouldn't have called it a numbered Final Fantasy... as if changing the name would really means anything.

Thief has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:13 pm

Sonic CD did yeah but also was in development at the exact same time as Sonic 2,US team and Naka doing 2. So technically it could be 3 but since we had a 3 why the hell not. :P

Bluecast has received a thanks from: Thief
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:19 pm

Sonikku wrote:
MiTT3NZ wrote: What's everyone's problem with Sonic 4? I reckon they're better than the Mega Drive installments (which btw, haven't aged nearly aa gracefully as Super Mario World)

I disagree. I found myself booting up the original Sonic the other night just to smack around some badniks and run through loop de loops before heading to bed. I might be more inclined to agree that games like Sonic Adventure have not aged as well, but the 2D ones still retain a distinctive charm. :)

Agree with that. 2D games are still fun to play but the 3D ones have aged badly.

Not played Sonic 4 part 2 but didn't even finish part 1. Controls just felt off and i found the levels to be poorly designed. Not helped by the fan made game coming out around the same time [at least a vid did] which looked more fun.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming