If Shenmue HD happens

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: If Shenmue HD happens

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:03 pm

RyoHazuki84 wrote: My solution, if any of us are terminally ill, we ask SEGA through make a wish

A friend of mine who passed away from cancer at 18 back in '08 (he also got the make a wish foundation) wrote in his journal that he wanted to see the finale to Shenmue's storyline. It still bothers me till this day that he never got to be a part of what this community became.

http://sub.gmnews.com/news/2008-06-19/f ... e/062.html

shengoro86 has received 3 thanks from: Bluecast, MiTT3NZ, Yokosuka Martian
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Bluecast » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:34 pm

RyoHazuki84 wrote: My solution, if any of us are terminally ill, we ask SEGA through make a wish

I volunteer Not like I would be lying but a 30 year old guy might be too old for a make a wish thing. :P
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby ShenmueTree » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:57 pm

I think it'd be a good idea for Sega to create an episodic Shenmue game for several reasons.

1. It's cheaper to make.

2. They can take their time between episodes.

3. They can make more money by having different package deals as 10$ an episode or 50$ full game. People who are curious can just buy an episode rather than the full game, thus granting extra sales from those would not have bought the full game and by those who buy an episode on impulse and feel compelled to purchase for completion sake.

4. Can gauge fan reaction

An episodic, open world game with rich story and many options could do wonders for the Franchise. The games would have to all use the same engine, and fit together seamlessly, offer many locations and be as spectacular in exploration and lifestyle as the first two games, (which is exactly what it was on Dreamcast, only it used discs instead of digital downloads and they could even use discs today and enable you to install them on your console)
They could just keep releasing "maps" that offer new stories and locations to visit and each map is a separate chapter. Basically, it would be the equivalent of releasing separate discs like the original games but digitally and thus possible to explore previous areas that would be blocked if using physical media in the past. (If you have the previous episodes installed)(Think Ryo never being able to go back to Wan Chai due to disc size)

Sure, a full complete game released at once would be ideal but Sega seems to hate Shenmue and this would be a way to give the brand a chance, test the waters for better things in the future.
And most importantly (for us fans) it'd be a new Shenmue game! (For Sega) It would make them money!
There's really no reason not to do it this way as everyone would win.

ShenmueTree has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:07 am

Yeah and they will charge 10$ per ep and break Shenmue 1 in 7 parts. :lol:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby ShenmueTree » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:22 am

Ryudo wrote: Yeah and they will charge 10$ per ep and break Shenmue 1 in 7 parts. :lol:

I know you're joking. (At least, I hope!) but I was talking about future releases, not past releases. Perhaps the wrong thread. xD

But if applying this to older games, there's no reason to do that anyway as they are already broken up into parts. Shenmue 1 is 3 discs and Shenmue II is 4. All they would have to do is charge 2.50$ - 4$ a disc or sell the entire separate game for $10-15 each. It'd match up with the price of Jet Set Radio HD.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:05 am

We have blu ray now and they could fit a new developed game plus the old ones on a single disc charge 60$ for Wii U,PS4,Xbox 3 and bam.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:13 am

Let's make like the Occupy movement and protest on their front lawn!

Yokosuka Martian has received 3 thanks from: Axm, MiTT3NZ, Stocke
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby ShenmueTree » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:49 pm

Ryudo wrote: We have blu ray now and they could fit a new developed game plus the old ones on a single disc charge 60$ for Wii U,PS4,Xbox 3 and bam.

That's not the point. The point of releasing them separately is to encourage those who are not already Shenmue fans to play the game.

I doubt many people would spend 60$ for 2 old games. Offer them by disc for a low price and many more people will buy it, making more money for Sega and getting new people to play the game thus vocalizing more support for a 3rd game.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:53 pm

Would it not be easier to lump it all in one disc. 3 games for the price of one. People see all three see that and go oh hey I think I may have heard of this. Whole series for 60$? Heck why not? Being sold separate didn't exactly work the first time and sets like that on one disc for the same price have always been great sellers.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby ShenmueTree » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:00 pm

Ryudo wrote: Would it not be easier to lump it all in one disc. 3 games for the price of one. People see all three see that and go oh hey I think I may have heard of this. Whole series for 60$? Heck why not? Being sold separate didn't exactly work the first time and sets like that on one disc for the same price have always been great sellers.

Yeah, perhaps a compromise is that you could download each disc for a small price or buy a full "seasons" physical disc for 60$
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby DoubleO_Ren » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:00 am

Sega piss me off man, why can't they just say "Shenmue is dead" and be done with it.
Then we could all truly move on.
All they do is say nothing to keep us sweet, all it does is keep us frustrated and resent them more.

I love how everyone believes the guy that said "I have a friend who says Shenmue HD isn't happening" and no one believes the guy that says "I have a friend that says Shenmue HD is happening".
DoubleO_Ren
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ShenmueTree » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:00 pm

If someone has been credible in the past it is easier to take what they say as truthful rather than the reverse.
And really, who said they believed the guy who said Shenmue HD isn't happening anyway? Less than three people while other people called him out on it.

Again, if this person who said their friend that is an ex-Sega employee has been correct, there is not a reason to be so skeptical. Honestly, I have no idea how credible they may be and regard it as rumor, the same as the person who said Shenmue HD will happen.

I love how everyone (one person) exaggerates heresy.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:09 pm

To be honest its simply at the point where really they need to remake the game beyond HD graphics. Animations and controls need updating.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Bluecast » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:52 pm

Why? Even people new to the series recently are amazed how good it looks. The controls were intentional like RE. Look at the 1080P thread and the game looks great.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Henry Spencer » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:28 am

Animations, yes. Controls? Not really.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III