Yu Suzuki At Monaco Anime Game Show

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Yu Suzuki At Monaco Anime Game Show

Postby AM2 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:18 pm

Treating his depression with Red Red Wine, travel to France to taste wine, that's about it
AM2
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Life

Postby Ziming » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:31 pm

AM2 wrote: Treating his depression with Red Red Wine, travel to France to taste wine, that's about it

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrwFkByhlJo[/youtube]

Ziming has received a thanks from: AM2
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:49 pm

I'm not ragging on the guy for having a Ferrari I just find it shocking that he get's paid and wonder who is funding his projects. Between Shenmue II and Shenmue City/Gai he had two games canceled and has opened two studios. That Digital Rex or whatever didn't even show anything that they was working on and people didn't even know they closed down until years later. Around the time of Shenmue Online we would go years without even hearing from or about the guy.

He had some producer credit on an arcade racing game but I can't imagine he actually did much. It's a shame as the guy was a pioneer but from the interviews he did around the time of Shenmue City it seemed like people just let him walk around the office doing nothing. He talked about always coming up with ideas but they always got shot down.

I'm amazed that he never left SEGA for another company. I know Japanese people are usually very loyal to a company but we've seen plenty of big name Japanese developers go and start up their own studios. From what I understand YS Net is still owned by SEGA.

I'd just love to see his Facebook profile to see his jobs over the last 10 years to know what his actually been up to.

Riku Rose has received 2 thanks from: AM2, Yokosuka Martian
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:27 am

mue 26 wrote:playing billiards with a glass of wine in hand? Yu knows how to live.

Not if he plays billiards like that he doesn't. Shocking technique.

(Everyone knows you have to sink the red first.)
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby rdk_nl » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:33 am

If you have a look at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yu_Suzuki#Games_Developed

I DON'T see the chart that he showed at the MAGS by himself (on the beamer screen). I'm sure there are other (French) people who have this footage available (just some patience, I'm sure it will be online some time).

I saw some games I wasn't known with. 3 Mobage Town Titles (one of them Shenmue Gai of course).
Maybe I'm wrong (or not), or maybe I wasn't aware of some of Yu's works (at the moment).

It's good to show Yu our support. The main reason I went to Monaco was to shake his hand, and get an autograph by myself on some Shenmue stuff. But another main reason was showing him my support (only to be there in person).
When Yu went to Monaco, no people interested for his autograph, no one interested in his talk, he really give us "the finger" and we will never see Shenmue.

I'm also a bit afraid about it's age. Shenmue 3 without Suzuki, I don't know where that will ending.

Edit: Maybe user: Belgiumfan does have the beamer screens on his Photocam.

rdk_nl has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, nskachu
rdk_nl
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Schiff » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:26 am

I may sound like an heretic, but.... Shenmue without Yu Suzuki? Why not. Let me explain.... Yu said the plot and project for the Shenmue saga got ready years and years ago. He has no experience about working on modern videogames tech.... his contribution would be invaluable, of course, but it'd be about the "feel" of the game, the little details. These are important for any Shenmue game but if his documents about the Shenmue project are detailed enough, other developers just have to follow them. Anyway I hope he can do Shenmue III himself. He deserves it and I understood it's important for him
Schiff
Wanna leave the cave
Man Mo Acolyte

XBL: ylyon
Currently playing: Virtua Fighter 5FS

Postby AM2 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:45 am

Schiff wrote: I may sound like an heretic, but.... Shenmue without Yu Suzuki? Why not. Let me explain.... Yu said the plot and project for the Shenmue saga got ready years and years ago. He has no experience about working on modern videogames tech.... his contribution would be invaluable, of course, but it'd be about the "feel" of the game, the little details. These are important for any Shenmue game but if his documents about the Shenmue project are detailed enough, other developers just have to follow them. Anyway I hope he can do Shenmue III himself. He deserves it and I understood it's important for him

So what if he doesn't have any experience with modern systems, neither does Hideo Kojima and look how people buy his milked out franchises time after time, just make up some stupid story about nanobots and the end of the world, put some WEAPONS in and it'll sell like crazy. If your game hasn't got weapons in it, it won't break the charts, crazy/stupid world we live in...

AM2 has received a thanks from: Giorgio
AM2
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Life

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:55 am

It's OK, Shenmue III has a sword.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby redline » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:58 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: It's OK, Shenmue III has a sword.

and super powers
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby johnvivant » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:17 am

I really hope that at some point in the future Yu Suzuki gives an honest and open interview about the real state of Shenmue, and also many of the details about what happened behind the scenes that after all these years we have no idea about.

What really happened with Shenmue online and why was it ultimately cancelled?
Why did they decide to make an online mmo pc-only game instead of going straight onto making Shenmue 3?
Was Shenmue 3 ever in development? If so how much of the game was developed?
Have you really planned out the whole story?
Did you believe that you would be able complete the series on dreamcast?
Is it true that HD ports of the games were in development? if not then has sega ever mentioned the possibility to you?
What do you really feel about the north American exclusivity deal of Shenmue 2 on xbox? (I don’t think he liked it)
Did sega ever consider porting Shenmue 1+2 to the PS2?
If it is not possible to produce a game to conclude the story would you consider concluding the story via a book, comic or animation?

Where is all the Shenmue production materials used to make the games? Eg. The busts of the all the characters, the 1000’s of pieces of artwork that were produced, the unreleased game content like ‘The boat’, the saturn version? I’m hoping all this is somewhere safe.
If the games are not released will this content be made public at some point?

There are probably many more question I could come up with, but these ones come to me immediately.

I am sure Yu Suzuki has some great stuff to tell us, but he is holding it all back for fear of offending people at sega.

asking question about the story would be interesting but Yu clearly does no want to ruin the story for us in case the game ever does get released. i could understand him being unwilling to reveal story information but if its true that he was unable to do so because he forgot, that does seem strange.

ones starts to wonder how motivated Suzuki is to ever producing the final game?
Last edited by johnvivant on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

johnvivant has received a thanks from: redline
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Jackie Harris » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:23 am

May I interject with an awesome image?

Our beloved 'OutRun' designer holding a copy of Kavinsky's album 'OutRun'. Perfect. Taken at the Monaco Anime Game Show, so relevant.

That is all.

Jackie Harris has received 2 thanks from: redline, Schiff
Jackie Harris
Asia Travel Representative

Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Belgiumfan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:05 am

Here are the screens from the Monaco conference.

BTW, I've seen pages of personal opinions based on nuthin', but couldn't spot any reply to my call for an accurate japanese translation of the Anime/book question (page 11). Could someone who understands japanese AND would give a f%£k help to get Yu's answer on that one ? Thanks.

Belgiumfan has received 2 thanks from: Kiyuu, Schiff
Belgiumfan

Postby rdk_nl » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:24 am

Wow your pictures are "big value" for me! I was sitting next to you, but wasn't aware you took this incredible serie of pictures!

I was concentrated on Yu (and the lady next to him :heart: ) So I totaly missed the Beamer Screen.

We where I nice team! It was great to meet you there nice friend!

rdk_nl has received a thanks from: Axm
rdk_nl

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Belgiumfan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:36 am

It was a pleasure too, pal !
Since your cam was filming everything but the screen, I obviously had to do it (I missed the video of the saturn dance game he's been involved in, but I believe I've got all the others)...

Here are those pictures at a higher resolution (3600x2700) : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/51587875/Yu%20S ... Monaco.rar ;-)

...and I know it's already been said in here, but if Yu did insist on the dissolution of the Soviet union, it's because military forces had the best computers at that time, and he's been able to buy some cheaper elements from the USSR in 1991. Those high-end computers sold cheaper made the development of real 3d game possible...

Belgiumfan has received 6 thanks from: Giorgio, Let's Get Sweaty, Nankeiro, rdk_nl, Schiff, wude
Belgiumfan

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:20 pm

Ziming wrote: ^Yu Suzuki has the time to travel to Monaco and attend the recent MAGS show. That's a clear indication he's not doing anything.

Did anything come of his involvement with Premium Agency? I remember the lat open forum he attended someone asked him about it but the reply was 'its confidential'..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates