Yu Suzuki At Monaco Anime Game Show

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Yu Suzuki At Monaco Anime Game Show

Postby ryohazuki86 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:59 pm

sad day for me happy day for YU im selling my rare dreamcast stuff on ebay :/ need money for college books check it out n bid or buy now i set a low price help a fellow shenmue guy out with this goal in life..

-This topic isn't for promoting your eBay auction. -Ziming-
ryohazuki86
Banned
Banned

Postby Kiyuu » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:03 am

Belgiumfan wrote: Hi Shenmue fans !
Let me clarify this for you. After a travel of 1200km made just to meet Yu, I was in Monaco this weekend, where I met Richard ( rdk_nl ) from this board. He filmed me when I asked this question http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p3PjvKA7m0 that was misinterpreted since...

The question was "If Mr. Suzuki ends up being unable to find the financial resources or the good circumstances to develop Shenmue 3, would it be possible to him to decide to finish the story as an Anime in 3D, or even cheaper : as a book".

His answer was, if I can relate to the translator (really not sure about that) : "Maybe, it's a possibility... Even in that form, I would like to make some more Shenmue".

2 things :

1. With the conference translation, I still don't know if Yu Suzuki means that "Even in that form...some more Shenmue" means : "If I wanted to do it, I would not make one episode, but a series of anime or books" or "If I chose to release Shenmue on those medias, I would still want to release more Shenmue as a videogame". Maybe one of you japanese speaking fans might translate Yu's answer there, it would be really nice ;-) .

2. I never said anything about a "manga", I spoke about a book (refering in french to the word "romancé" that relates to a novel, a written adaptation of the original script). I hope it's been well translated to Yu Suzuki. It's that french journalist who made the connection between an Anime and a manga book, not me.

Let's hope we'll have something concrete in the near future... Thank you !

Lucky you for having been there. Here's the direct translation of the Q&A in Japanese:

The translator: "Instead of a video game, will there be any chance that you depict the story of Shenmue 3 in other forms, like movie or novel?"

Yu Suzuki: "there will be such possibilities, I think. Even in such forms I want to do something related to Shenmue."

Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Shendream » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:19 am

Here a message from the organizers of the MAGS that you can see on their Facebook page:

"The rights are owned by SEGA and Mr Suzuki. Sega is not against Shenmue 3. The company is just waiting for the good opportunity in term of market, money and partners."

This reliable info means that Yu Suzuki also owns a part of the rights of the Shenmue license.
Shendream
Shenmue Master Staff
Shenmue Master Staff

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:53 am

The MAGS organizers are the last people I'd call reliable after the way they've been misquoting Yu this week. Who knows if those remarks are any different?

In fact it was your website that Yu himself told in November 2011 that Sega owns the license. If it was somehow split between them, wouldn't he have mentioned it then?
Last edited by Let's Get Sweaty on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Belgiumfan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:55 am

Thank you Kiyuu !
I'm glad the translator told him about a novel... I suppose it's too late to erase the word manga from Sebastien Abdelhamid's twitter and every videogame website in the world :mad:.

And I suppose we can get Yu's message as a will to develop Shenmue as a videogame, but also in other forms of art. Awesome news, thanks !
Belgiumfan
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Shendream » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:34 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote: The MAGS organizers are the last people I'd call reliable after the way they've been misquoting Yu this week. Who knows if those remarks are any different?

In fact it was your website that Yu himself told in November 2011 that Sega owns the license. If it was somehow split between them, wouldn't he have mentioned it then?

As I told you by mail Let's Get Sweaty :) Cédric Biscay is one of the organizers of the show, I'll copy / paste my answer here for the fans:

Cédric Biscay ( the CEO of Shibuya International ) told us 1 year ago on our Facebook page:

"I'd like to clarify. Yu Suzuki is obviously aware of the operations like Kickstarter but as stated in the article, the license belongs to SEGA who don't consider this option and will not let go this license without compensation."

Of course it mean money..... Even after all what Suzuki-san has made for this company.....

It was after the TGS but the situation is probably different now, Cédric Biscay knows Yu Suzuki very well and they talked a lot during the shows ( it was also him who has invited Yu Suzuki in France ).
While they were talking together ( all the time he wanted contrary to a short interview ) he has certainly more precise informations about it and maybe Suzuki-san made some arrangements with Sega since the TGS 2011 ( not sure of course ).

We must consider what he says because he has a special relationship with Suzuki-san.
Last edited by Shendream on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shendream has received a thanks from: Axm
Shendream
Shenmue Master Staff
Shenmue Master Staff

Postby AM2 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:16 am

Obviously the merger/buyout with/by Sammy also didn't help our cause.
AM2
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Life

Postby Lan Di-sama » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:04 am

As much as Shenmue needs Yu Suzuki, Yu Suzuki needs Sega to make Shenmue. This "rights" thing is a bit misguided, imo. While I fully support the Yu Suzuki twitter campaign, I'm not sure if it's addressing the correct issue.

If Sega just "gave Yu the licence" he'd have no money, no development team, and no company to publish the game. It's a fucked up relationship but regardless, Sega needs to publish Shenmue 3 if it were ever to happen. They're not just gonna give away publishing rights to another company and there's no other company who'd want it anyway.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:03 pm

Lan Di-sama wrote: As much as Shenmue needs Yu Suzuki, Yu Suzuki needs Sega to make Shenmue. This "rights" thing is a bit misguided, imo. While I fully support the Yu Suzuki twitter campaign, I'm not sure if it's addressing the correct issue.

If Sega just "gave Yu the licence" he'd have no money, no development team, and no company to publish the game. It's a fucked up relationship but regardless, Sega needs to publish Shenmue 3 if it were ever to happen. They're not just gonna give away publishing rights to another company and there's no other company who'd want it anyway.

There are two ways of looking at it.

One is that, sure, having full control of the license wouldn't guarantee that Yu can get the game made. But it frees him up to shop around and explore whatever options may be out there, even if they are few and far between. My belief is that Yu cares more about making the game than Sega does, and for that reason I would like it to be his decision whether any particular avenue of opportunity is explored or not. I hate to think that Sega is dismissing certain ideas because it doesn't fit their self image or because it means working with a specific competitor, etc. If the buck stops with Yu, I believe he would do whatever's in the best interests of the game being made, and if he couldn't get it done, I'd at least be satisfied that every attempt had been made.

The other way of looking at it is to not take the #GiveYuTheShenmueLicense hashtag quite so literally. Many people use it as simply a means of expressing their frustration with Sega's inaction, and essentially asking them to #GiveYuTheChanceToMakeShenmue3 - but that's excessively long for a hashtag. It's still calling for Shenmue 3 to be made, while acknowledging that it's not Yu's reluctance standing in the way.

Whichever way you look at it, the Tweetathon is capturing people's imaginations and lighting a fire under the casual fanbase for an organized, constructive goal. The sentiment speaks louder than the semantics.

Let's Get Sweaty has received 2 thanks from: Lan Di-sama, mue 26
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mue 26 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:33 pm

^Exactly. People needs to understand the two prongs of the campaign. It's not just simply for getting Sega to "give Yu the license", it's also about trying to pressure Sega into some action themselves. It's only if Sega refuse to take steps themselves that we want them to relinquish the license. And I agree with Sweaty, if the dream of Shenmue 3 does die, I'd be a lot happier it went out with a fight, as opposed to slowly die of starvation and neglect on Sega's shelf. Why exactly does Shenmue need Sega, the association in our minds is obviously strong, but it's good to start thinking outside the box, or else it'll be another 10 years with nothing.

@Shenmdream

So, if we are to believe this Cedric guy's information is correct, then there has been a tangible change in dynamic of the situation? As his new statement is quite different from his first one. Hmm.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Kiyuu » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:38 pm

This is just a tidbit about Yu Suzuki while he was in Monaco.
According to the following facebook page in Japanese, Yu-san took a tour of Côte d'Azur on March 1st.

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?i ... 6586456638

Yu-san with Go Nagai, a famous animator, and the tour guide

As he wanted to stroll some old village with an ambience that would be suitable for a game, the guide took him to Dolceacqua. He liked the village very much and took a lot of pictures. Some day, we might stroll an old village like this in some video game. ;-)

Kiyuu
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Schiff » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:10 pm

I don't want to draw comparisons but I think the Kickstarter campaign is not such a bad idea.... I mean, look at this: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inx ... f-numenera . Ok, it's a big title but.... almost 2 million dollars in TWO days?
Let me repeat my opinion anyway, since I thought about it even more in these days: we (members of this forum) are the most active and probably most caring Shenmue fans. We need to do something and with this, I mean we have to find a way to get in touch with Sega of Japan. Sega of Europe and America have no influence at all in the Shenmue things, their pr guys already showed in various occasions they speak for nothing about Shenmue. Sega of Japan holds the rights of the game and it's as mute about Shenmue as a dead fish. Ziming, you're Japanese? Can you tell us if there's a pr guy or a way to get in touch with SoJ? And finally have some serious talk. Like the costs for Shenmue III, Shenmue HD or selling the rights. The best way would be asking directly to Yu Suzuki himself, but I got the feeling the man is too shy to talk to his diehard fans :D Seriously.... at least let's think about this idea
Schiff
Wanna leave the cave
Man Mo Acolyte

XBL: ylyon
Currently playing: Virtua Fighter 5FS

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:22 pm

The_Intruder wrote: Do you want to know what killed the series? All that money and resources they wasted on Shenmue online. If it wasn't for Shenmue online cancellation we might had Shenmue 3 by now.

Wrong on so many levels that it could be the gateway to an anti-matter universe.

MiTT3NZ has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Yokosuka Martian
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:06 pm

Somebody linked to this video in the Shenmue 500K group on Facebook, and as the uploader mentions this forum I thought someone had better post it here too:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8hvghKbdGM[/youtube]

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Axm
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby lavrentis » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:10 pm

Watched that earlier. Seems a pretty fair video.
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates