Yu Suzuki At Monaco Anime Game Show

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Yu Suzuki At Monaco Anime Game Show

Postby johnvivant » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:19 pm

Yokosuka Martian wrote: So what's happened to the interview from Shenmue Master? Does it really take 2 weeks for it to upload ?

i'm also very eager to view/read this interview. Kenji knows a lot about shenmue and i'm sure he could elicit some really interesting information from Yu suzuki.

is anyone here in contact with him? If so maybe we could get an update on when he expects to upload it.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby The_Intruder » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:47 pm

johnvivant wrote:
Yokosuka Martian wrote: So what's happened to the interview from Shenmue Master? Does it really take 2 weeks for it to upload ?

i'm also very eager to view/read this interview. Kenji knows a lot about shenmue and i'm sure he could elicit some really interesting information from Yu suzuki.

is anyone here in contact with him? If so maybe we could get an update on when he expects to upload it.

Ziming is in contact with Kenji maybe he can send him a message of when is the interview going to be uploaded. I'm going crazy waiting for that interview.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby ShenGCH » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:22 pm

So... anything about that interview?

:sad:

xx
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:40 pm

I think the interview was a total flop and they ended up talking about random subjects like baseball and arcade sticks. Then at the end of the interview he begged Shenmue Master to help him pitch his idea for Shenmue toilet paper. Comes in Phoenix orange and Dragon green.
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Icehotman2004 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:17 am

To show support Yu Suzuki creating Shenmue 3 I will buy 1 copy each of Shenmue 1 along with Shenmue 2
Icehotman2004
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Yama » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:00 am

Icehotman2004 wrote: To show support Yu Suzuki creating Shenmue 3 I will buy 1 copy each of Shenmue 1 along with Shenmue 2

Not sure that'll support anything but a private seller.

Yama has received 2 thanks from: Bluecast, Yokosuka Martian
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby ShenSun » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:56 am

anyone no what happen to kenji's interview? its been ages since the event.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Peter » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:25 am

Does it even matter? i mean if there was any important information in it, it would have been online by now.

Peter has received a thanks from: mue 26
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby The_Intruder » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:50 pm

What has happened to Kenji interview I can't wait any longer. Did he asked about Ziming and Niao Sun?
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Ziming » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:29 pm

I heard from David that Kenji recently moved to a new place. He's trying to get things in order right now.
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby ryohazuki86 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:56 am

i bet we will never get anything no shenmue 3 no shenmue hd :( sad but true !
ryohazuki86
Banned
Banned

Postby Peter » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:01 am

We had an interview last year so i dont see what questions could be asked apart from, "So whats happened in the past year".

Im not giving up hope on more Shenmue games in the future, but its been clear for a few years now that no one is willing to put money into the franchise so its going nowhere. Of course the Kickstarter idea could be discussed, but we all know the answer that will be given to that; "ah yes i have heard of that. Its a good idea, we will see...."

Bam! 2015 arrives and still no Shenmue Kickstarter. Thats the reality of it all.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby ryohazuki86 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:00 am

ahh either way i enjoy playing shenmue 1 and 2 over and over and over again i actually just restarted 1 again yesterday and am on disc 2 it feels like a different experience every time i play:)
ryohazuki86
Banned
Banned

Postby Wanderin' » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:15 pm

As much as I hate to seem as if we were pressuring Mr. Suzuki to say something, I think Shenmue fans the world over at least deserve to have him explain what he meant *specifically* when he told the public that "[he] thinks Sega will let [him] make it".

Has any one yet gotten Yu to elaborate on that yet in any of the recent interviews?

I know we've already speculated endlessly about what that statement of his could possibly mean (ie. sure Suzuki *knows* that Sega would let him make it as long he finds the appropriate funding on his own accord, thus meaning that Sega actually has no problems with letting Suzuki handle what is ostensibly and legally Sega's intellectual property so long as they do not have to invest the principal capital to fund it, and even though Suzuki is no longer an actual Sega employee) - but have we ever had a follow up detailing just *why* he personally thought it was just so important and auspicious then to let the public know that he would be allowed to make Shenmue 3?

Unless there was just *that much* that was lost in translation at that past GDC interview. I have no doubt that his statement of "I think Sega will let me make it," was translated correctly - after all, Mr. Mark Cerny who has an adequate enough of an understanding of the Japanese language, was literally right there to confirm what Suzuki said.

BUT. Did *Suzuki* himself understand what was being asked of him? Is it possible that he thought he was being asked only if 'Sega would actually allow him to make Shenmue 3?', which in and of itself I am sure is a component of his concerns - but entirely separate from the actual question of 'do you have the capacity to make Shenmue 3 within the near future, and how will you proceed with doing so?'

If that is the case, I posit this rather chilling observation. That Suzuki knows, without a doubt, that Sega has never been belligerent or unreasonable about letting him use their IP/franchise even though he is no longer an official Sega employee, but that to use it, he must himself be the one who presents the appropriate business plan for it and gathers the principal funding for it.

Why is that chilling? It's chilling because it suggests that our long-held perceived notion that Sega is being difficult or unreasonable about freely giving Suzuki the opportunity to do with the patented Sega IP of Shenmue as he wishes is *unfounded*. In fact, I surely believe that Sega would easily be willing to let Suzuki do as he wished with the IP that he ultimately conceived of in the first place. But if that's the case, then it doesn't matter one way or another whether or not we 'Give Yu the License'. Because he still needs the legitimate funds necessary to make Shenmue 3 a game of the appropriate calibre that is the standard for contemporary titles. Cheers.
Wanderin'
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:27 am

As an obvious proponent of the #GiveYuTheShenmueLicense campaign, I don't find that chilling at all. The hashtag has always been as much about expressing frustration with Sega's inaction towards Shenmue 3 as it is about them actually giving up ownership of the IP, and that still holds regardless of the scenario you describe.

The responsibility to commission Shenmue 3 is principly Sega's. They're the ones who published a cliffhanger promising a resolution. And while they're pumping money into other projects instead of re-releasing Shenmue 1 & 2, they are doing nothing to make Shenmue 3 a more viable option. That's the only thing they can bring to the table if they refuse to fund the sequel themselves, and as Yu implied at MAGS, the distribution of the first two games is up to Sega, not him. So if they won't pull the trigger on that very obvious first step while expecting Yu to come up with everything else on his own, then they clearly want to have their cake and eat it. That's reason enough to express frustration with Sega, and proclaim them unfit to hold the license.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates