Funnest Ways to Play Shenmue

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Funnest Ways to Play Shenmue

Postby Shadow2222 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:23 pm

Hey guys, relatively new here. Basically, this topic is based off an interesting walkthrough I saw way back in the day for Shenmue.

He suggested playing with a routine to make the game more personalized. He particularly would wake up, pray at the altar, practice with Fuku-san, feed the kitty, and then spend the day playing arcade games. Eventually, of course, he would prcoeed with the main story.

Has anyone else put Ryo on a "schedule," or "routine," so to speak?

As with everyone else here, I've played the game a million times, and I'm looking for something to spice up my next playthrough.
Shadow2222
Asia Travel Representative

Re: Funnest Ways to Play Shenmue

Postby Lan Di-sama » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:29 pm

On one playthrough, I maxed out every move possible to the advanced/master level by spending hours and hours practicing. Definitely NOT the funnest way to play Shenmue and I would never recommend it.

Sometimes I would see how fast I could progress the story, other times, I'd slow it way down.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby jalvarez82 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:23 am

I've been focusing on having a complete capsule toy collection before I get deep into the story. My daily routine for the time being is I wake up, give Nozomi a call, go to the Dojo, check on the kitty (pet it, feed it), talk to whichever kid is there, buy a few toys by Abe, walk through Dobuita and talk to random people I come across, buy a soda from the machine next to Tomato, walk to the parking lot and practice my moves, buy more toys near the arcade, play some arcades, buy more sodas (hopefully get a winning can), ...and that's about it. I call Nozomi every night when I get home, and I pray to the altar right before I go to sleep.

I've been doing this for a couple weeks now.

jalvarez82 has received a thanks from: wude
jalvarez82

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby elfshadowreaper » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:12 pm

Lan Di-sama wrote: On one playthrough, I maxed out every move possible to the advanced/master level by spending hours and hours practicing. Definitely NOT the funnest way to play Shenmue and I would never recommend it.

Sometimes I would see how fast I could progress the story, other times, I'd slow it way down.

I've tried to do that but it takes way too long and I never get very far. If I had Shenmue 2 for the dreamcast I may have tried harder but having to start from the bottom on the xbox version I don't bother. What does it do, just increase the damage dealt?
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby CodingGenesis » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:22 pm

Over the years I tried different things. I tried getting to Hong Kong as fast as I could, I played with a "routine", I tried to get as many notebook entries as I could, I focused on Ryo's friends. I think there are like countless ways to experience Shenmue. That's the beauty of Shenmue.
CodingGenesis
Rockman X
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: CodingGenesis
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Changes on a daily basis.

Postby Lan Di-sama » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:25 pm

elfshadowreaper wrote:
Lan Di-sama wrote: On one playthrough, I maxed out every move possible to the advanced/master level by spending hours and hours practicing. Definitely NOT the funnest way to play Shenmue and I would never recommend it.

I've tried to do that but it takes way too long and I never get very far. If I had Shenmue 2 for the dreamcast I may have tried harder but having to start from the bottom on the xbox version I don't bother. What does it do, just increase the damage dealt?

No idea - I'd assume it might increase damage dealt, but it's possible it does nothing at all. Of course, many moves "evolve" once you hit the intermediate level, but from what I remember, there isn't a single move that evolves a second time at the advanced level.

I think I did it with the hopes of maybe transferring my game save to the PAL version, but I was never ambitious enough to figure it out or buy that nexus memory card that could do it automatically. I've surely since saved over the file, anyhow.
Lan Di-sama
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby myshtuff » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:25 pm

I haven't played the series in a few years and in recent months I've let some friends borrow the games because they never played them. Also I've been listening to the soundtrack lately. Pretty soon I will be moving out and also getting a nice, big HDTV. I also have a VGA box for my DC. All I need to get is a good speaker system and I will be ready to play through the series again in full quality glory. I can't wait.

myshtuff has received a thanks from: ThyDarkAngel
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Feelers Rebo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:15 pm

My preference is to see how long I can go without using the left trigger. I usually fail after about 30 seconds.
Feelers Rebo

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:23 pm

I also spent quite a bit of time flailing into the air and kicking Fuku-san's ass to get my bars up. Was worth it for some of the evolved ones, IMO. But then I was never the best at the actual fighting, so to me, buffing Ryo up to be better equipped to deal with Chai, at the arcade as well as the harbour, was worth it. I think I did a 100% notebook run once or twice. Tried to get a full toy allocation, but always lost interest. Once deliberately kept on getting caught by the guards at the harbour, just to see the bad Lan Di ending.
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:19 pm

I like to get myself surrounded by Dreamcast nostalgia in magazines videos,music and more. I like to get Chinese food from Panda then sit down explore everything in the game more so than advancing the story. I am so immersed in not just Shenmue but DC as well and to me it's 1999 again. :D

Bluecast has received 2 thanks from: CodingGenesis, shengoro86
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby myshtuff » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:09 pm

Make sure to put on some N'sync and eat some 3D Doritos and Surge soda too.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:24 pm

myshtuff wrote: Make sure to put on some N'sync and eat some 3D Doritos and Surge soda too.

More like Sum 41,Offspring and Green Day.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby myshtuff » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:27 pm

^^Whatever you say. ;)
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Bluecast » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:31 pm

Don't know what you're implying so whatever.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby myshtuff » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:08 pm

Me neither
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to Shenmue