Random Thoughts

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:04 pm

Well, that was one of the more entertaining trolls we have seen around here lately. Almost reminds me of the old days, except no one was legitimately buying into it lol
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:04 pm

Kinda felt like this:

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Shenmue Dojo, for this night and all the nights to come."

Peter has received a thanks from: Raithos
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby mue 26 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:19 pm

Is it not possible to delete threads? I never understand why threads such as that, whose only purpose is trolling and creating hate, are left to linger around, even if it is now locked?
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:32 pm

Because that's the way it has always been. Deleting threads such as that delete the emphasis of why they were locked in the first place. Other forums may be different, but that has always been the way of SD for over 10 years now, They stay locked, and stand as a permanent part of the database that makes up the history of the forum, and so people can always go back for fun/nostalgia/reference.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby mue 26 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:10 pm

I just don't get that at all, personally. I would find it totally embarrassing and shameful to have look through this forums archives and see just how many Shenmue fans are insane racists or pathetic trolls. Threads like that one for example, are of zero value, or if anything they are actually toxic and harmful and reflect poorly on the community. But hey ho, that's the policy I guess...
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:29 pm

The community has came through over a decade of such toxic and harmful topics, that's what makes it the community that it is today. I would reccomed taking off the hashtag blinkers and glove fingered poll clicking to see and feel how the community existed before it has become what it is today, and maybe not be so harsh as to venomously criticise a community that has stood the test of time. Before twitter. Before Facebook. Before YouTube. Before social media became mainstream and easily accessible,

This is, in my opinion, one of the oldest and greatest gaming communities on the internet because of that very reason. We are all here for the same purpose, and this site has been ran as it was 10 years ago,. It will adapt as its needs to be, but I sincerely hope it will always remain true to its heritage and stand as The Shenmue Dojo, the number one resource for the Shenmue Franchise, and I will always do my damndest to make sure that it is.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:38 pm

Censorship ≠ The Answer

Kenny has received a thanks from: OL
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Sonikku » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:08 pm

mue 26 wrote: I just don't get that at all, personally. I would find it totally embarrassing and shameful to have look through this forums archives and see just how many Shenmue fans are insane racists or pathetic trolls. Threads like that one for example, are of zero value, or if anything they are actually toxic and harmful and reflect poorly on the community. But hey ho, that's the policy I guess...

Mue... His avatar was HITLER. :P The whole first post/long racist rant/hitler avatar doesn't strike most people as "omg the people here are racist!!!1". It strikes most people as "Oh look, another troll looking for attention. *yawn*".

Maybe it was different a decade ago but by now almost everyone the whole internet over has been largely desensitized to such blatant attempts for attention. It isn't worth getting worked up over any more. Nor does it need to be hidden or deleted like a deep dark secret outsiders would never understand.
Ban. Lock. And done. It's that simple.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Sonikku » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:11 pm

:shock:
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby mue 26 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:48 pm

I would reccomed taking off the hashtag blinkers and glove fingered poll clicking to see and feel how the community existed before it has become what it is today, and maybe not be so harsh as to venomously criticise a community that has stood the test of time. Before twitter. Before Facebook. Before YouTube. Before social media became mainstream and easily accessible,

What the hell does any of that have to do with forum trolls? :???: I'm gathering that you seem to feel they add to the dojo's rich history? That kind of attitude is really just an open invitation to more trolls

Does anyone actually enjoy reading over lame troll threads for fun/nostalgia/reference?

And Venomous? :???: Seriously?

Censorship ≠ The Answer

Kenny, not tolerating and deleting/ banning any BLATANT trolling is quite clearly the answer. There is actually NO OTHER WAY to effectively deal with it. And for the record, I was the first one here to speak out about censorship while all you lot were shook to death of Ryudo, so don't talk to me about censorship, mate.

Sonikku wrote:
Mue... His avatar was HITLER. :P The whole first post/long racist rant/hitler avatar doesn't strike most people as "omg the people here are racist!!!1". It strikes most people as "Oh look, another troll looking for attention. *yawn*".

Maybe it was different a decade ago but by now almost everyone the whole internet over has been largely desensitized to such blatant attempts for attention. It isn't worth getting worked up over any more. Nor does it need to be hidden or deleted like a deep dark secret outsiders would never understand.
Ban. Lock. And done. It's that simple.

I'm not worked up. I just find it embarrassing to click on the Random Thoughts forum and see an utterly disgusting and worthless thread pointlessly lingering about for the world to see. There is nothing of any value, entertainment or otherwise, in that thread. It's a total waste of bandwidth. And you're crazy if you don't think threads like that reflect poorly on the community. If people discover Shenmue and find their to this forum only to find threads like that hanging around, many a mature person will decide that this is a shitty place that is littered with racist trolls (and this place often has been in the past, thanks to the staff's invariable view that trolling is entertainment) and they will not want any part of it. This place isn't Shenmue UK (RIP), this is world's largest Shenmue fan site, and I think we have a responsibility not to embarrass the franchise and ourselves.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:14 pm

So its your way or the highway in terms of how this place should be ran? Your insulting all the moderators on this site, and also the owner in terms of how it's ran because it's not to your standard?
Here's my advice, take some time off the boards and calm down. It's one thing to have a debate but to try and act smart over the identity of the Shenmue community and the Dojo as a whole will not end well. This place will be as it always shall be until we are told otherwise. If you don't like it, please feel free to leave, and you will be welcome to return at any time.

But that's the end of it.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:41 pm

Mue's not really insulting anyone... he's just expressing his concern. He really needs to calm down huh... :roll:

Thief has received a thanks from: mue 26
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:58 pm

good ole mue! :rotflmao:

Seems that guys trolling has done its job though... all it had to do was rile up one member :/

AnimeGamer183 has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, OL
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:58 pm

This is just the sort of reaction a troll feeds on. :no:

Sonikku has received 2 thanks from: Kenny, MiTT3NZ
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Kenny » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:21 pm

Deleting topics doesn't do anything other than pretend the problem didn't exist in the first place.

Locking them and tucking them away is the proper way to handle the situation.

Kenny has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic