Random Thoughts

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Random Thoughts

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:52 pm

So it was Himuro? I thought it may have been some one else, actually deleted another post because I realized it wasnt them. Does the staff actually have to recognize post style and pattern of banned members trying to weasel their way back in? Man this place has a long history of that too, trolling has been more or less a life time long problem of this place so I can see why doing what has to be done :/
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby sand4fish » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:20 pm

So what you guys are saying is that since this site's inception the same few trolls/crazies keep crawling back under different names for a span of what, 15 years? What kind of nuthouse is this place I got myself into?
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:33 pm

Mate, this place used to be much different. To the point where I wouldn't be surprised if even Peter or Spencer have been banned once or twice (though I don't think they ever have)

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: sand4fish
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:47 pm

sand4fish wrote: So what you guys are saying is that since this site's inception the same few trolls/crazies keep crawling back under different names for a span of what, 15 years? What kind of nuthouse is this place I got myself into?

At different points in the history of this place, yes, and a few rare cases of it going on over extended years. This place was attacked and brought down a good few times in the more early years and I am trying to remember long it was down for at its worst. We even had a community divide and differences going on, and how many owners now? Part of it directly had to do with Shenmue going dark for over 10 years and obviously morale and activity dwindled during that time, but there was alot of differences in the earlier days of the series going dark that resulted in many different opinions about a number of different things even down to how the forums and site were run and the individuals in charge. The Shenmue community took a huge hit because Shenmue III essentially was silently canceled believe it or not, but some how this place has stayed here through the thick and thin, and that should be testament alone to how great Shenmue actually is. Ask some of the old veteran members to share a story or 2, as a whole everyone was extremely upset about Shenmue III in those days. Also ask about the epic stories that went on around here too ;-)

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: sand4fish
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby sand4fish » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:09 pm

^ Well, tell me about them. If there is a topic about some of these epic tales, I'd read them away.

MiTT3NZ wrote: Mate, this place used to be much different. To the point where I wouldn't be surprised if even Peter or Spencer have been banned once or twice (though I don't think they ever have)

I got that part a few years ago when I read a topic with you guys discussing about it. But I seriously had no idea that some of these oldest members were still playing bipolar up to this day. And here I was thinking that maybe from time to time some genuine newbies'd be interested in Shenmue and this forum in general.

Anyway, I apologize to the moderators and Peter if whatever I said sounded insulting. I just always wondered about what criteria was used to ban members in this place as I never really paid attention to it when I first joined in all these years. Thank you all for the clarification.

sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Raithos » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:23 pm

I don't always get banned. But when I do, I drink Dos Equis then return years later like a normal human being and nobody is the wiser lol.

It really is crazy tho, the effort people put into trolling/shit posting whatever you want to call it. I think we were all guilty of it at one point or another, whether its this forum or another, but just to different levels. But when it comes to personal attacks that's where the line should be firmly drawn. If you are that angry you need some help. This place used to the the wild fucking west at one point. I for one hope it never gets back to that. There are a few people I wouldn't mind seeing come back, but others need to stay in the void.

Raithos has received a thanks from: sand4fish
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby sand4fish » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:53 pm

^Dos Equis is great. Drinking Tecate right now while watching the World Cup all day and still pissed at Messi for missing that penalty kick. Lost money on it.

sand4fish has received a thanks from: Raithos
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:17 pm

Random thought. Height.

I've always been a bit insecure about my height (173cm/5'8), but it doesn't really affect my life at all so I don't think about it much.

How tall is everyone?

Edit: is there something wrong with the site at the moment? It seems to take forever to post something.

Edit 2: I just read the notice at the top of the forums. Glad it's not just me.
BlueCreeperBoy12
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Mr.Jigen » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:33 pm

BlueCreeperBoy12 wrote: Random thought. Height.

I've always been a bit insecure about my height (173cm/5'8), but it doesn't really affect my life at all so I don't think about it much.

How tall is everyone?

Edit: is there something wrong with the site at the moment? It seems to take forever to post something.

I am 5'11, don't know why you'd be insecure you're of average height.
Mr.Jigen
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

XBL: Onettown
Nintendo FC: Joeython
Steam: ThatOneGuyWhoPlaysGa
Currently playing: Shenmue

Postby Peter » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:15 pm

sand4fish wrote:I can understand you are trying to keep excessive trolling out of the site, but may I ask what is exactly the level of shitposting acceptable in here from now on? The Haruto guy might have been a previous offender but the way I see it now his posts are pretty harmless specially when stacked with his contribution to the gaming section with new trailers and news. So once members are banned, will they be lockout for life? Do we get any warnings? Shouldnt the forum have some kind of guideline for tone and humour acceptable while posting? I don't get why even old time regulars Himuro and Bluecast were banned (or remain so). I'm asking because I'm kinda wary of attempting any lame jokes or even engage on any controversial discussions at the chance of being misunderstood as trolling or creating drama, when there were no such restrictions a year or so ago.

No... no....

The account that i personally banned...

First off, i really shouldn't be banning anyone whatsoever. I have selected the best staff that's ever been in place on these forums. We have an awesome mix of Shenmue die hards, casual gamers, and old skool veterans which keep a watchful eye over every aspect of shenmuedojo.net.

I shouldn't have stepped on their toes, but thanks to a member i wont name (they know who they are and have my humble thanks), i had info about them that made it more or less clear. Once i asked other members of staff for their opinion, it also became as clear as glass that this was what was going on.

The member "Haruto" was an old admin from here, who has a lot of history with the site. Now, in the interests of transparency, I would LOVE to go through all of that history. Its been backdated and recorded by various members of the Shenmue community. But, the reason i don't is because of the same reason i also don't rise to his bait, or any other bait that exists out there within the Shenmue community. From Youtube Channels, and their associations with fake Shenmue websites, to numerous banned members from here over the years. They crave attention. Its their fuel, and how they really achieve the attention they so desperately desire.

In your specific case Sandfish, no, of course have a laugh and a bit of craic! Enjoy yourself here! You have proven you are an upstanding member. What does that mean? Someone who has been here first and foremost for Shenmue! The reason the banner hangs high and proud above the door. Every member here shares that, and even if they dont, then ok! We have a general gaming forum for that. But, if anyone thinks they are gonna come in here, new member or old, and just start spamming 15-20 posts a day about anything that goes through their head, then that wont be tolerated. Let me reiterate that once again. 15-20 posts.... A DAY. That, is the definition of shitposting. They may be a post about Shenmue, general games, or current topics, but they are opinion-less, non engaging, words on a screen and nothing more posts. Thats it! aka... shitposting. That will not be happening here, and in all honesty, in 15 years, there has only ever been one person whos posts even define that, and thats the said member whom i banned.

If you are asking why Bluecast was banned, ive just explained to you why. But really..... if you need to ask why Himuro was banned then i really have to ask you why you are questioning that. I will go on my gut feeling you dont know the whole story.... but Himuro maintained a posting attitude that went well beyond the limits of what i would describe as a level headed mentality within a fan based community forum. From questioning every single aspect of a game in development, threatening other members with abusive content, to even rallying the questionable gaming journalists that may or may not read these boards (which i know for a fact a lot do) to provoke action against YSNET... for a game that was in early development!!!! Think about that for a second. Questioning Yu Suzuki.......YU SUZUKI and rallying the media against him during the first full year of development. Really???

OL wrote: Himuro was one of those old member who's been warned (under previous accounts) over and over again across several years to can it. He's one of those who tends to follow a pattern. The staff knew who he was and could have banned him on the spot, but in the interest of fairness he was left to continue in his new account. He seemed a bit more reserved, so why not?
But his basic patterns started to emerge once again, and the staff has seen where it eventually goes if left alone.
You really have nothing to worry about. This one is more a matter of him having an actual history of shitposting and obnoxiousness that has previously resulted in the forum being... shall we say, offputting. To phrase it mildly. The ban was based on that, and where we could see his current manner eventually leading to. It's just an old dance that nobody feels like going through again.

AnimeGamer183 wrote: So it was Himuro? I thought it may have been some one else, actually deleted another post because I realized it wasnt them. Does the staff actually have to recognize post style and pattern of banned members trying to weasel their way back in? Man this place has a long history of that too, trolling has been more or less a life time long problem of this place so I can see why doing what has to be done :/

No i think OL got slightly mixed up there.

The member banned is "Haruto", aka Bluecast, Ryudo, and about 10 other high prolific accounts he has had here over the years.

sand4fish wrote: So what you guys are saying is that since this site's inception the same few trolls/crazies keep crawling back under different names for a span of what, 15 years? What kind of nuthouse is this place I got myself into?

Ohhhh you have no idea. But that's why it was important for me to keep OL and Henry Spencer on the current staff roster. For shit just exactly like this. Who keep me right in times like this. Me banning Haruto isn't some snap decision. It was discussed at length in a private staff forum we have. Every forum decision is discussed in there. No moderator takes it upon himself to go rogue and pull some shit, unless its necessary! Almost all decisions are brought to a table and discussed.

MiTT3NZ wrote: Mate, this place used to be much different. To the point where I wouldn't be surprised if even Peter or Spencer have been banned once or twice (though I don't think they ever have)

100%

A lot of us old timers shouldn't even be here!

So whats the difference? Simple.... we grew up! We realised we were a bunch of young boys who, despite becoming men, shared a love or a respect for this site. Yea, we can all talk shite, that's a skill that doesn't go away, even with old age. But we grew in our posting attitude. We learned things like respect and maturity. We knew what words we say carry weight for other human beings within ears reach... or visions reach. We calmed down. Even if posting here was a habit, we went off, got lives, got jobs, got hobbies, got humility. Learned that everything in life is in moderation. Spending all the live long day on here posting message after message, after message was not a good way to live a life, and whilst we welcome everyone here, the purpose of the site overtakes the personal needs of a user. I'm sorry but thats just the way it is. This site is a Shenmue fan forum. Not psychology 101 for the impaired.

AnimeGamer183 wrote:At different points in the history of this place, yes, and a few rare cases of it going on over extended years. This place was attacked and brought down a good few times in the more early years and I am trying to remember long it was down for at its worst. We even had a community divide and differences going on, and how many owners now? Part of it directly had to do with Shenmue going dark for over 10 years and obviously morale and activity dwindled during that time, but there was a lot of differences in the earlier days of the series going dark that resulted in many different opinions about a number of different things even down to how the forums and site were run and the individuals in charge. The Shenmue community took a huge hit because Shenmue III essentially was silently cancelled believe it or not, but some how this place has stayed here through the thick and thin, and that should be testament alone to how great Shenmue actually is. Ask some of the old veteran members to share a story or 2, as a whole everyone was extremely upset about Shenmue III in those days. Also ask about the epic stories that went on around here too ;-)

sand4fish wrote:
I got that part a few years ago when I read a topic with you guys discussing about it. But I seriously had no idea that some of these oldest members were still playing bipolar up to this day. And here I was thinking that maybe from time to time some genuine newbies'd be interested in Shenmue and this forum in general.

Anyway, I apologize to the moderators and Peter if whatever I said sounded insulting. I just always wondered about what criteria was used to ban members in this place as I never really paid attention to it when I first joined in all these years. Thank you all for the clarification.

There's absolutely no apology necessary Sandfish. Like i said before, you are an upstanding member. Whats the definition of an upstanding member? Very simply, someone who posts here for Shenmue, and is a genuine person in terms of posting style and attitude. We have members who have been here 15 years, and 15 minutes. Whats genuine about them is that they were all brought here for the one reason we all share and love Shenmue. But whilst they are here, they all contribute in a civil way. I don't even think i need to explain what that means, and the members banned are being banned for a very clear defined reason.

Like i said, its my fault regarding the ambiguity of why that member was banned. I didnt put a message within the post, as i have so strictly told staff members to do so whilst taking action to keep transparency. I acted and didny say why. For that im sorry. But, i would do it again tomorrow if i felt it was the right thing for this site. We are on the cusp of both Shenmue HD and Shenmue 3. Let that sink in for a second. Shenmue HD, available across all of modern day consoles, as well as Shenmue 3!!! That really was in impossible dream for a long ling time.

I will admit i have been quiet since taking over. I know i have. But that's because i am wasting no time at all to make changes. I took the week off work and have spent them more or less without sleep. A new site is on its way, completely backdated with news info since Shenmue 3. Up to date. Coherent. Organised. Simplified. A new logo. Clear. Defined. Signature. A new forum design. Updated, User friendly. Relationships with the community. Communicative. Easy to access. Beneficial. Clear. This is the future i always envisioned for this site, but it was never my place to do so. But now it is, and if people think i am bullshitting then come back to be in about 2 months time. I have never been more tired or stressed in my life, from working with designers, coders, community members, and other elements of the Shenmue team in general i don't feel i should name. Enjoy this old site, for it will soon be the last you see of it outside way back machine. I also know most people in general hate change, most of all Shenmue fans, but i have to follow my heart and believe that it's worth it for the self preservation, and continuation of this 15 year site. Am i ready for the backlash? Hells yea. Do i think its necessary and justified? OH HELLS YEA! Either weay i will live by my own sword and die by it. If people have an issue with the changes i bring, or the way i do things, then thats cool. Movements can be made to encourage to pass the site on. I will never have an issue doing that as long as it goes to the right person, much like it was decided beforehand that Yama should contact me to pass the torch.

Peter has received 5 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, MiTT3NZ, OL, punkmanced, sand4fish
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby BlueCreeperBoy12 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:34 pm

Mr.Jigen wrote:
BlueCreeperBoy12 wrote: Random thought. Height.

How tall is everyone?

I am 5'11, don't know why you'd be insecure you're of average height.

The point of my post wasn't really me being insecure. I shouldn't have mentioned it at all!

I was just wondering how tall some members were.
BlueCreeperBoy12

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:05 pm

Ugh... it was Blue again huh? Makes me remember the old days... or the old old days when we were constantly in the IRC chat, jesus christ. Speaking of that, I have had some brief convo with Yukupo over PSN the past few weekends and we caught up a little bit and talked games, probably one of my best and oldest friends from this place even though we dont talk that much now.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:50 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: Ugh... it was Blue again huh? Makes me remember the old days... or the old old days when we were constantly in the IRC chat, jesus christ. Speaking of that, I have had some brief convo with Yukupo over PSN the past few weekends and we caught up a little bit and talked games, probably one of my best and oldest friends from this place even though we dont talk that much now.

Yea and whats the worst about it is he is really benefical from a general gaming knowledge point of view. He kept that forum particularly active, but when he starts double posting, and spreading non substantial conversations into other parts of the forum then it kills the atmosphere, and desire for others to contribute.

Yukupo was a damn fine member back in the day. I remember him. One of the old skool vets from back then. But him, Brotherman and others just went to the sedgeway created Ryos Place and continued their friendship over there, along with Ash, Tao and a few others. Not for me to judge, they will always be welcome here.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby OL » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:16 am

Peter wrote:
AnimeGamer183 wrote: So it was Himuro?

No i think OL got slightly mixed up there.

Gah!
Total facepalm moment for me. Meant Haruto, kept saying Himuro.
Must have been tired or something.

:theyareontome:
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Sokora » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:55 am

I’ve been breaking up concrete in my back garden in preparation for offspring v1.0 and appear to have contracted carpal tunnel syndrome. So ghey

Using s concrete breaker is fun but fucking hard work. Nearly finished but can’t wait to finally sack it off
Sokora
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic