Question for us GD'ers...

(Latest news, updates & questions about the site)

More Thread Creation, Less Cluttered Topics? (Total votes: 18)

Yes
89%
No
11%

Re: Question for us GD'ers...

Postby Thief » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:30 pm

I think we should keep the "made you laugh" thread and just change it to "funny pictures thread" or something. Anything else that would evoke more discussion can get its own thread. I just like checking that thread daily for a good laugh... or a bad one. :twisted: + :lol:

EDIT: Scratch that, it's already locked and I don't really care :P
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:33 pm

Good lord, that was fast.

QWERTY made a funny pictures thread, remember?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44935
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Yama » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:34 pm

All right, done. We can always re-open a specific thread if we find it necessary, though if we honestly give this a shot I think it'll work just fine.

I felt out of them all the purchase thread should have been left open, but it was beyond dead as is. I'm sure a big purchase is thread worthy while something small or funny could be posted in the random thoughts thread.

Yama has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby mue 26 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:39 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: I think we only need the random thoughts and laugh/pissed ones.

The what did you buy and so on could simply be posted in RT.

I don't have a problem with the "what did you buy" thread, seems an innocent enough thread to be honest.

I'm still not convinced this will greatly improve forum activity in any real way, but I honestly don't mind seeing the back of all the "what made you-insert emotion here- today" threads. Mainly because there are so many of them now that they have reached the point of parody (see my "What made you melancholy" thread :lol: ).

I think the only thread being closed that would make a tangible difference would be the "random thoughts/general discussion" thread. And the result of not having that thread around would probably just be a whole load of lifeless threads with little to no discussion in them, to be honest.

mue 26 has received a thanks from: Yama
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yama » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:48 pm

On second thought, the purchase thread really doesn't serve any ill intent against thread creation. Let's leave it open, along with it's gaming counterpart. Some things simply aren't thread worthy and deserve something as such.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby Yama » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:52 pm

I honestly feel that the "lack of activity" is a facade. Judging by the numbers, the site is about on par with what it's been doing for quite some time now. It seems slow when threads from weeks ago are on page one because thousands of posts are being cluttered together in a single thread. With that, we may not gain a ton of activity, but we'll be able to properly depict the forums liveliness. In the end however, this is key to gaining more interaction.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby Bluecast » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:57 pm

I wish the gaming one was not locked. as I don't want to create a new topic when I have a random thought as often they are not worth a new topic. Then be seen as spam. ugh really annoying that was locked. NOw I feel like posting less in gaming -_-
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Yama » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:59 pm

Ryudo wrote: I wish the gaming one was not locked. as I don't want to create a new topic when I have a random thought as often they are not worth a new topic. Then be seen as spam. ugh really annoying that was locked. -_-

I'll tell you what, I'll unlock it and put up a vote in their in regards to it since it's a different forum. Just unchange your vote here as it has nothing to do with that forum.

Yama has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:00 pm

I don't mind the random game thoughts but lock the RPG one.

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Bluecast » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:01 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: I don't mind the random game thoughts but lock the RPG one.

This 10000000000X

Also I agree with everyone else on the GD thread to be locked
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby mue 26 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:05 pm

Yeah the general RPG thread and "all things square enix" thread were real conversation killers. Because a specific game is exactly the kind of thing that does warrant it's own thread.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:10 pm

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=42807

I HATE that topic and been asking for it to be killed for some time. You want a topic that kills new threads. There it is. Like when 100 people in a room vomit in the same spot and you get this topic. Some people keep bumping it and wish they would not. Kill that zombie topic
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Yama » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:12 pm

The problem is gaming news is posted in the thoughts thread, not only thoughts. All of this news is lost, immediately.

Read more as to why I want to make the decision, it's not going to hurt the forum it will help it.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=45791

Reply there for GG forum discussion, let's keep this one GD only.

Yama has received a thanks from: Peter
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:22 pm

i say unlock the old topics, let the people that want to use them, use them. And the people that want to post in the new way, do it that way. And if its something more important to you, instead of dropping it off into one of the general threads, make a new thread altogether for extended discussion. That way, no one is pissed (like I kinda was when I saw some of my favorite topics locked), and we can try this new way as well, plus the combination of both would hit the sweet spot of forum activity.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Rakim » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:30 pm

Most of the changes aren't that major and I'm fine with, but I don't think the thread for funny pics/links/etc should be locked. There isn't very much potential for branching threads from the content it contained, however that's not to say it isn't valuable or enjoyable.

Return our cat thread or face the wrath of my Japanese gifs!
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue Dojo