Recent Gaming Purchases

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

Postby OL » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:44 pm

Monkei wrote: PS4 version

I'm not really into simulators, but I couldn't resist the thought of experiencing the actual daily struggles and shenanigans of a goat.

It's on PS4? I got it for PC. And yeah, it's pretty dead-on to what I'd expect the life of a goat to be.
Gripping stuff.

OL has received a thanks from: Monkei
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Shibiryo » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:10 pm

OL wrote:
Monkei wrote: PS4 version

I'm not really into simulators, but I couldn't resist the thought of experiencing the actual daily struggles and shenanigans of a goat.

It's on PS4? I got it for PC. And yeah, it's pretty dead-on to what I'd expect the life of a goat to be.
Gripping stuff.

Indeed, though I was rapaciously disappointed in finding out that senseless-gaming noobers *cough* PewDieShitHead* crammed YouTube with painful videos regarding the misuse of Goat Simulator like the schoolkids living next door, shameful.

Shibiryo has received 2 thanks from: Monkei, OL
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby Monkei » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:07 pm

It came out today! So did this, which I also bought. Really looking forward to it.

Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:32 pm

^It's currently downloading it. Think I'll save it for the weekend though.

Riku Rose has received a thanks from: Monkei
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby sand4fish » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:20 am

Monkei wrote: It came out today! So did this, which I also bought. Really looking forward to it.

Don't forget the R2 for running (hold it for like 5 seconds or so) while playing it... otherwise you'll really feel the slowness of the game to be a burden.

sand4fish has received a thanks from: Monkei
sand4fish
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:50 am

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: OL, Raithos
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Monkei » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:52 pm

^ Pretty old school! Never played it.
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:08 pm

^^Amazing game in terms of atmosphere.
Gameplay is... different. Old-school, unique, a variety of other adjectives. Not particularly intuitive, but it works for what it is.
Have to mention it does have one of the most irritatingly-unlikable characters I've ever encountered in a videogame, in the form of Kimberly. You'll keep wanting her to finally get killed off.
All the same, the atmosphere, environments, the trippy-ass ending... all make it worth the experience, despite its drawbacks.

So anyway, my older brother is a huge nut for Shadowrun, and he invested a pretty good sum into the kickstarters for the newer PC games. The newest one, Hong Kong, just came out, and because of whatever package he invested in during the kickstarter, he ended up with multiple download codes for the game. So he gave me one.

Still have yet to play Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall, though, so I might not be hitting this one any time soon. Still, not a bad title to have in the ol' backlog. I do loves me some Shadowrun.

OL has received a thanks from: Raithos
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Monkei » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:59 am

^ D2 really sounds pretty interesting. I'll most likely never get around to playing it though, sold my Dreamcast years ago and don't plan on getting another one.

Riku Rose wrote: ^It's currently downloading it. Think I'll save it for the weekend though.

What did you think of it?

Got this one yesterday and already played it. I'm absolutely loving this series, mainly for its humour. The story is pretty great, too. Just the writing in general. That's what Telltale is best at of course, but with Borderlands they've really outdone themselves. Best thing they've created so far in my opinion. (Didn't play the Gearbox/2K games by the way.)

Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Yama » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:29 am

Henry Spencer wrote:Image

One of my favorite games on the DC. Have both the Japanese and US versions, the uncensored Japanese version is pretty hilarious in some spots.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby amiga1200 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:03 am

:mrgreen:
excellent game.
not worth the cd conversion....across eight disks, that's for the 1/1 sample rates version.
the five disk version, really downsampled audio.
one of a few game that literally use most of the gdi capacity, and the data itself hardly packs at all.
retail disk, or gdi emu would be the best way to play that as intended. :P
good find. (never seen a copy for sale in UK ever, only a friend gives me access to her retail copy occasionally . 8)
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby Sonikku » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:48 am

Yama wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote:Image

One of my favorite games on the DC. Have both the Japanese and US versions, the uncensored Japanese version is pretty hilarious in some spots.

Guessing the US version was stripped down. :-k
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:52 am

It was certainly pricey, it has shot up in price recently.

amiga1200 wrote::mrgreen:
excellent game.
not worth the cd conversion....across eight disks, that's for the 1/1 sample rates version.
the five disk version, really downsampled audio.
one of a few game that literally use most of the gdi capacity, and the data itself hardly packs at all.
retail disk, or gdi emu would be the best way to play that as intended. :P
good find. (never seen a copy for sale in UK ever, only a friend gives me access to her retail copy occasionally . 8)

It was never released in Europe. Which is a shame. I will be playing it via disc swap on my PAL Dreamcast.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby amiga1200 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:51 am

agreed! (a reverse shenmue, absolutely ZERO logic in 3rd arsed relz, but that's another story.)
it's the NTSC-U relz played, and it boots fine on this black/blue NTSC-U block of junk without any bootloaders/import enablers.
bios doublers, or bootdisks outside USA/BRA consoles for that gem. :mrgreen:
mixed bag, for another five gbp.
1, america's 10 most TALENTLESS! ps2. (or TASTELESS? potato, potato. 10 most wanted...for tax evasion and dissent.)
2, monster house, ps2.
3, halo 2 collectors edition, xbox. (the steelbook version, same housings made and used on certain games for ps2, like area-51, and RE4 initial/LTD-EDIT print, of which i have both, including area-51 after print/standard retail relz, and RE4 platinum relz too)
4, sonic and the secret of the rings, wii. (honestly, i have NO fuckin idea what to expect here, the label is in itself, a stark warning, to discard what i know/like of sonic, flush it down the bog, and start again as if sonic is a new thing. quite possible i'm holding a typical example of sega shagging their ip's? yet i must remain focused, not get any preconceptions, and play it. :mrgreen: )
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby Riku Rose » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:36 am

Monkei wrote:
Riku Rose wrote: ^It's currently downloading it. Think I'll save it for the weekend though.

What did you think of it?

It had some good ideas but they weren't executed in the best way. I know the idea is for the areas to be like the English countryside but with them being so open you can miss some important stuff. I'd sometimes ignore the light that guides you as I felt like it was making me skip certain areas and I would end up skipping certain areas. Even when I did just follow the guiding light it skipped over certain things I was meant to see. Backtracking is a nightmare even with the run button and I spent about 20 minutes longer in the Frank section then I needed to. It also does a poor job of explaining what you need to do to 'complete' an area and I almost missed some important things because of this. Rather then the light that floats about it would have been better that you just have a light that stays where the next section of story is told that you can see wherever you are like the light on top of the mountain in Journey.

The atmosphere was cool though. I felt more uneasy searching an empty house then most horror games make me feel with trying to get jump scares out of you. Just the idea that you could open a door and someone could just be there is quite disturbing like Michael Myers just standing there in Halloween.

Had it fixed just one or two issues I'd be recommending it to everyone and put it up there with similar games like Gone Home. Sadly they're big issues that make the game feel like a slog at times when it could have been something wonderful.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming