Recent Gaming Purchases

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

Postby Calshot » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:19 pm

I found an old giftcard with $1.06 on it, so I decided to get the NeoGeo Humble Bundle.

Calshot has received 2 thanks from: OL, Raithos
Calshot
Volare!
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: SoLongAgo
Steam: Vodkakui

Postby OL » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:35 pm

So with the remaining amount on my eShop card, I went ahead and got Ecco the Dolphin 3D and Gunstar Heroes 3D. Gunstar looks amazing, but then with all the crazy faux-3D effects they were already pulling off with sprites, I would expect nothing else. Just made me wonder at the possibilities of a Ranger X 3D... *sigh*.
Ecco is a slightly different case... the base game is still Ecco the Dolphin, so I can't fault it all too harshly, but the 3D effect feels a little flat. I feel like the ocean backgrounds should have been pushed back a little further or something... it's not bad, just not as phenomenal as the other conversions I've seen so far.

I was planning on more Guild games next (namely Weapon Shop de Omasse, Liberation Maiden, and The Starship Damrey), but the other Sega conversions caught my eye, so I think I might be dipping into Galaxy Force 2 next, maybe Space Harrier or Streets of Rage. I only wish there were a Burning force one on here.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby BlueMue » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:14 pm

I got a hold of this extremely unique controller. Yes it looks awkward and it is in some ways but it's also totally awesome. It's an analog controller that works with the Mega Drive. It was released in 1989 and was ridiculously ahead of it's time. Really the first analog pad, everything else before it were just sticks. Playing things like Space Harrier, After Burner II, Galaxy Force II, Super Monaco GP II and even Musha Aleste on the Mega Drive with analog controls is just mind blowing.

And yes...
It beats the duke. Easily!

BlueMue has received a thanks from: streetwaves
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Mr357 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:38 pm

Nice find! What exactly does that lever on the right do? It looks like it only moves up and down.

I recently saw this on eBay and snagged it. Not a poster like I had originally thought, but still a cool piece of nostalgia.

Mr357 has received a thanks from: Cave Johnson
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueMue » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:39 am

Mr357 wrote: Nice find! What exactly does that lever on the right do? It looks like it only moves up and down.

It's an analog slider. It is used to control the throttle in After Burner II and Galaxy Force II. But the ingenious thing about the controller is that you can rotate this slider and also have it move left and right. This is used for steering the car in Monaco GP II and Fastest 1, while the analog stick accelerates and brakes. I personally would've done it the other way around but it does work really well and it gives rotating the slider a good use.

By the way, the christmas present from myself to myself arrived in the mail today. I wanted one of these for many years but somehow always bought other things instead. Well it was a good time for one now.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Mr357
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Axm » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:33 pm

Axm has received a thanks from: Raithos
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Monkei » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:03 am

^ Got that for christmas yesterday. \:D/
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:39 pm

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: Raithos
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby streetwaves » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:28 pm

Picked up Arkham Knight on PS4. It's obviously technically impressive but I find the controls pretty annoying and tedious. Though I am one of the few who hasn't played the earlier Arkham games so it's all new to me.
streetwaves
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Yakuza 0

Postby Monkei » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:41 pm

Monkei has received 2 thanks from: FlagshipFighter, Shin Pan Tzee
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby OL » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:01 pm

EDIT: Too much rambling in my original post. :lol:
Guess I was just really jazzed to get this game. Played a good bit into the main scenario now, and I'm loving it. No real story, just a total focus on really original platforming action. Sometimes you need a good throwback to 16-bit-era gaming, and this fills that need to a T. Even coming out roughly 20 years after the original Super Famicom game (which is included), this version hasn't changed much, and it's all the better for it.
And Jesus, watching speedruns for this game is just nuts. Once you've played it and know how the games feel, and then you see what some of these gamers are able to do in it, it's just mindblowing.

phpBB [video]

OL has received a thanks from: Thief
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Mr357 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:03 pm

And there's more on the way. :devillaugh:

Mr357 has received a thanks from: Raithos
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Thief » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:07 pm

phpBB [video]

Only thing I jumped on for the steam holiday sales. I've been wanting to play this game for a long time and $1.99 is an easy asking price.

I was also interested in Ori and the Blind Forest and Axiom Verge but those were like twelve dollars each -- I'm not made of money :lol:
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Shin Pan Tzee » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:53 pm

Monkei wrote: Image

Bought and finished this one too. I wasn't expecting much to be honest, but i ended up absolutely LOVING it. Can't wait for the other episodes. It just felt great, like playing a game from my childhood.

Shin Pan Tzee has received a thanks from: Monkei
Shin Pan Tzee
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Raithos » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:44 am

Mr357 wrote:

And there's more on the way. :devillaugh:

Nice. One of the top three games I wish I owned. It's hard talking myself into buying a single game that costs more than a console or GPU lol.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming