Recent Gaming Purchases

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Recent Gaming Purchases

Postby Monkei » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:06 pm

@ Shin Pan Tzee

Same here. :) Tried the first episode without high expectations when it came with PS Plus and fell in love. The second one is already out, but I haven't played it yet. Have you?
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Henry Spencer » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:00 pm

Mr357 wrote: Image

And there's more on the way. :devillaugh:

I would never spend that much on any game. Ridiculous prices.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Thief » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:22 pm

Sold that game to my brother when it worth around $100 -- now I don't even want to know how much it's worth lol

But, if someone really wants the game, then I won't judge if they buy it. It's an OK game though, not worth the asking price, but good enough that people should play it if they like RPGs. They should really port it to some modern console (and don't give me no source code shit -- if people can emulate saturn roms on PC, then they can do it on steam or psn).
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Mr357 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:18 pm

It's worth around $450, give or take 50; I got it for $375 though. I don't plan on selling it, but if I had to I could easily get my money back and make a little profit.

Mr357 has received 2 thanks from: St. Elmo's Fire, Thief
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Thief » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:30 am

^ let us know what you think when you get around to beating it.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby OL » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:15 am

Just ordered it. Haven't played it yet.
Was always interested though, ever since it was first announced. It got some really, really bad reviews, but somehow I have a hard time believing it's as bad as some say. Watching stuff online, at it's worst it seems like it might merely be kind of mediocre, while at its best it seems to be a really unique take on a well-tread genre. I get the impression it just hit at the wrong time, when the industry was just a little too saturated with shooters, so people shit on it.
It's too bad that they changed the protagonist's voice between the early development stages and the final game (the old voice had a weirder, kind of off-kilter edge to it, while the final one is more generic and gravelly), but I like the look of it all the same. Guess I'll see how it is.
And I love that cover art.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby ShenGCH » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:27 am

OL wrote: Image

Just ordered it. Haven't played it yet.
Was always interested though, ever since it was first announced. It got some really, really bad reviews, but somehow I have a hard time believing it's as bad as some say. Watching stuff online, at it's worst it seems like it might merely be kind of mediocre, while at its best it seems to be a really unique take on a well-tread genre. I get the impression it just hit at the wrong time, when the industry was just a little too saturated with shooters, so people shit on it.
It's too bad that they changed the protagonist's voice between the early development stages and the final game (the old voice had a weirder, kind of off-kilter edge to it, while the final one is more generic and gravelly), but I like the look of it all the same. Guess I'll see how it is.
And I love that cover art.

Great concept, but poorly executed, and it's just not very fun to play. That's how I found it when I played it around the time it was released. If the gameplay and functions of, and interactions with, the core concept were polished to a high degree, it would have been a lot better, but certainly not something that could be considered great. It's very much a middling game at the lower end of the spectrum.

Still, please share your thoughts when you're done with it :)
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Mr357 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:38 pm

Thief wrote: ^ let us know what you think when you get around to beating it.

I already have, twice. I bought it because I liked it so much.

As a matter of fact, you were the one who told me to modchip my Saturn, which I did end up doing after the first time I played through PDS with the swap trick.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby St. Elmo's Fire » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:36 pm

Mr357 wrote: It's worth around $450, give or take 50; I got it for $375 though. I don't plan on selling it, but if I had to I could easily get my money back and make a little profit.

Was gonna say, it's a lot of money but it's probably not gonna go down any time soon, so could be seen as an investment. Sorta like those guys who pay outrageous amounts for old Porsches because in a few years they'll be even more outrageously priced!
Will be a nice nest egg if you keep it 50+ years till you retire!

I have an original FF7 copy in the mega-old PS1 dual-hinge box (which was actually needed 'cos it came on three disks) which is far from being in A1 condition, but is probably still worth a few bucks on ebay. Not interested in selling 'cos it's not worth a "lot", and I have a lot of nostalgic emotional attachment in it, but if the prices for it do ever get stupid (like say the equivalent of £1000, in line with inflation for the future) I'll be tempted. Probably never happen for a game which sold so many on its debut though, there must still be a lot of boxes exactly like mine kicking about out there!
St. Elmo's Fire
None.
Shenmue III

Postby Truck_1_0_1_ » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:14 pm

Aerobiz on the Genesis :D
Truck_1_0_1_
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Truck_1_0_1_
Steam: Truck_1_0_1_
Currently playing: Nothing :(

Postby Mr357 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:18 am

St. Elmo's Fire wrote:
Mr357 wrote: It's worth around $450, give or take 50; I got it for $375 though. I don't plan on selling it, but if I had to I could easily get my money back and make a little profit.

Was gonna say, it's a lot of money but it's probably not gonna go down any time soon, so could be seen as an investment. Sorta like those guys who pay outrageous amounts for old Porsches because in a few years they'll be even more outrageously priced!

If I can't retire in 50 years then I'd probably need to sell it regardless. With the impending fate of Social Security though, that may be a reality.
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:50 am

Been looking for more co-op games to play with my brothers. This one is basically Left 4 Dead, but set in the Warhammer universe, fighting hordes of rat monsters. Very cool stuff.
Actually, it's more like the basic level style and gameplay of L4D, but with the unlocking and update schedule of Payday 2. Unlike L4D, there's always something in this one to unlock and work towards, which is important for an online game.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Sonikku » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:35 pm

Mr357 wrote:
St. Elmo's Fire wrote:

If I can't retire in 50 years then I'd probably need to sell it regardless. With the impending fate of Social Security though, that may be a reality.

Most likely Social Security will remain the same for those on it to secure the senior vote, but be changed for those not yet on it to be a shadow of its former self. For my part I'm thinking hookers and blow is starting to look like the best retirement plan in this country.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Sonikku » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:11 pm

Aghhh damnit. The Nathan Drake + Sony gold headset for $79.99 Newegg bundle proved to be too irresistible.

Not replaceable and non-refundable has me sweating bullets though. These things better not fucking break. :mad:

Sonikku has received a thanks from: Raithos
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Raithos » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:11 pm

There's no Sony warranty though? That's strange. Better baby them!
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming