This just blows my mind

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

This just blows my mind

Postby Bluecast » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:11 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foZUcPQAMvg[/youtube]
We have all seen this before but never fully sunk in for me until doing a little reading today.
Many have heard how when Sega panicked seeing the specs for PSone Sega rushed more processors in Saturn so it could contend with the more 3D game focused PSone. Also Saturn didn't use triangles like PSone or N64. used Quadrilaterals which was better but much harder to work with. So Saturn had a multitude of hardware problems that put developers off. So seeing this footage of Shenmue on Saturn to me this is far more impressive looking considering the machine they had to work with than Dreamcast. Dreamcast version looks great and even today. Just to me with all the damn hurdles Saturn had this is amazing and might be one of the best if not the best looking game on the big 3 consoles. Esp the faces for 32 bit era for faces to be that detailed and expressive was just not seen.

Bluecast has received 4 thanks from: Axm, Mitsuzuki, Nankeiro, ys
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: This just blows my mind

Postby south carmain » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:36 pm

south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Bluecast » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:42 pm

Yes. Independent fingers were unheard of at the time. Even early Dreamcast games had club hands.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby AdamKoralik » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:12 pm

How I pray to the gaming gods that a (near finished) build of that will leak one day.

AdamKoralik has received a thanks from: ys
AdamKoralik
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby mue 26 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:37 am

As much as it did look great for a Saturn game, I just pray thanks to the gaming gods that development was shifted over to the DC, to be honest.

mue 26 has received 2 thanks from: Bluecast, Yama
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:52 am

mue 26 wrote: As much as it did look great for a Saturn game, I just pray thanks to the gaming gods that development was shifted over to the DC, to be honest.

Agreed. Honestly if it stayed Saturn not even sure the Dojo would exist as many people would have never played it and maybe Andy never would have and SD never been born.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:24 am

And we'd all be doing something more productive with our lives. mue26 would be prime minister by now if it wasn't for Shenmue. :(
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby ys » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:14 am

AdamKoralik wrote: How I pray to the gaming gods that a (near finished) build of that will leak one day.

Me too. It has happened with some Dreamcast games so one can only hope. If we don't get more Shenmue games it would be very interesting to see what happens a bit after Shenmue II.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby ShenmueTree » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:28 pm

Even if it were to leak someday, it might be impossible to play it on any emulator. You'd have to play it on a real Saturn, which isn't really a negative except for maybe the price of the console in good condition.

Still, that the Saturn could pull that off, is quite amazing. I wonder, is any of it CG, or is it all real-time like on Dreamcast?
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Luvly KM » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:54 pm

i have just been re-impressed by this. I love light coming through the dojo and the added grunginess of the graphics really adds to the sense of poverty in Kowloon..

Luvly KM has received a thanks from: Bambi
Luvly KM
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Bluecast » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:11 pm

ShenmueTree wrote: Even if it were to leak someday, it might be impossible to play it on any emulator. You'd have to play it on a real Saturn, which isn't really a negative except for maybe the price of the console in good condition.

It's only like 40-50$. Got mine for 40$ last year and seen the same prices. Many people try and overcharge on ebay but it's not super pricey outside ebay. Works like a charm. It's the games that kill ya unless you import then the prices are much better. No need to mod either 30$ Action Replay solves that. It's games and add ons that make the Saturn so pricey to collect for.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Jeff » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:23 pm

The greatest tragedy right now is that projects as detailed and creative aren't desired and instead of how cheap you can make a game and sell as much copies as possible. The artistic value and depth doesn't have the place it once had.

Jeff has received a thanks from: Mitsuzuki
Jeff
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

PSN: jgk1020
XBL: jgkny
Currently playing: Halo Master Chief Col

Postby Mitsuzuki » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:53 pm

Yeah that's a fascinating clip right there. On the one hand, had Shenmue come out on the Saturn it could have made the system more popular. On the other, it may have likely been a blessing it made it over to the Dreamcast instead; both for the game and the DC.

My only Saturn experience was spending an afternoon playing Resident Evil with my then GF's bro. It was fun, but the system had virtually no appeal to me so I skipped it completely.
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby _StreetSonic_ » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:33 am

I find the clip creepy, yet every time I think about it I'm amazed.
_StreetSonic_
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby AdamKoralik » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:07 am

Considering Sega lost the source code for various Saturn games (I believe this includes Panzer Dragoon Saga and Burning Rangers), it wouldn't surprise me if the same thing happened to Shenmue Saturn.
AdamKoralik

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Next

Return to Shenmue