Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:27 pm

Looks like IGN are pulling the plug on TeamXbox. For a whole now they've been stripped back to only the forums. Now mod privileges have been taken away and they're being over run with bot spam posts.

If you're still reading, I'll tell you a story. TXB was the first forum I reached a thousand posts for the first time. Coincidentally, it was about Shenmue.

I think it's a damn shame it won't be around with the Xbox launch or Christmas Day where everyone hypes up and swaps stories about their new favourite toy.

RIP TXB
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:34 am

phpBB [video]

Thief has received a thanks from: Kenny
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:37 pm

Playing Darksiders jut to fuck around and while I have a man crush for Micheal Wincott's voice and love the sarcasm and wit he brought to Death and yes the cooler and better written character. I just prefer War. His quiet no nonsense attitude in the game at least plus I like his design much more. I also have a thing for playing characters using swords and Clouds sword looks like a steak knife next to Chaos Eater. 7'5 ish and maybe 900 pounds maybe more he is a hulk and christ he is strong. He only looks small because Uthane is 15 feet tall and many demons like 12 feet 9 feet and other characters are just huge. Perfect character for me in a fantasy setting.(l also think he would smack Kratos around but I'm biased.)

I rally want to play as War again in another game....dear god I hope Nordic can pull off at least a decent game in the series.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:19 am

Wow, why didnt anyone tell me the new FFX and FFX-2 remasters were of the international versions of the game? and there is a LE version? *instant pre-order*

im assuming it will be similar package as the KH 1.5 with the artbook case, again. cool with me, I actually kind of like that case the way its setup.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:41 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:Wu-tang has a fucking story, those who don't know it should pick up "The Tao of Wu" great book about what its like growing up in NY

Yeah, got it, the sequel-of-sorts to the Wu-Tang Manual (a book which has had more influence on my life than anything... ever)

MiTT3NZ has received 2 thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr., wude
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby QWERTY » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:46 pm

If you have PlayStation Plus make sure you log into your account and turn auto-renewal off before your annual subscription is due to expire as Sony have it set up to collect funds automatically as default and they won't refund if taken!
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby Crimson Ryan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:03 pm

QWERTY wrote: If you have PlayStation Plus make sure you log into your account and turn auto-renewal off before your annual subscription is due to expire as Sony have it set up to collect funds automatically as default and they won't refund if taken!

They all do that. First thing I did with PS Plus and my recent Amazon Prime trial was switch off auto-renew.

Cheeky bastards.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Giorgio » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:27 pm

Now, that's a random thought: A good way to boost Wii U's sales, is to put the next Pokemon releases, that is (?) Pokemon X 2 and Pokemon Y 2 (or whatever), to Wii U instead of putting them to 3DS....... But, then again, Nintendo 3DS doesn't sell well as its predecessors.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby QWERTY » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:31 am

Crimson Ryan wrote:
QWERTY wrote: If you have PlayStation Plus make sure you log into your account and turn auto-renewal off before your annual subscription is due to expire as Sony have it set up to collect funds automatically as default and they won't refund if taken!

They all do that. First thing I did with PS Plus and my recent Amazon Prime trial was switch off auto-renew.

Cheeky bastards.

Yeah unfortunately I was unaware of this and now have a PS+ account which I'm not gonna use due to being out of the UK for a year. After Googling this it appears loads of other people have had the same issue and not got anywhere with requesting a refund. I'm going to try my luck and explain the predicament and see if they can arrange a gesture of good will such as some kind of voucher or some shit (slim chance, I know), otherwise I'm going to have to raise this with the Office of Fair Trading as they should have a cooling off period or an automatic renewal reminder email a month before collection at least.
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby Axm » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:24 pm

Turning off auto renew is for the poors.

Axm has received 2 thanks from: Perfect_Chaos, Raithos
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Crimson Ryan » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:25 pm

QWERTY wrote:
Crimson Ryan wrote:

Cheeky bastards.

Yeah unfortunately I was unaware of this and now have a PS+ account which I'm not gonna use due to being out of the UK for a year. After Googling this it appears loads of other people have had the same issue and not got anywhere with requesting a refund. I'm going to try my luck and explain the predicament and see if they can arrange a gesture of good will such as some kind of voucher or some shit (slim chance, I know), otherwise I'm going to have to raise this with the Office of Fair Trading as they should have a cooling off period or an automatic renewal reminder email a month before collection at least.

I wouldn't get your hope too high. If you do manage to get Plus cancelled, I think the most Sony will do is tie the amount of money to your PSN account rather than back in your bank.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:44 pm

phpBB [video]

Bluecast has received a thanks from: Kenny
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:11 pm

fuckin sexy. I wonder if its glow in the dark or leds or what? Looks like glow in the dark, but it shines pretty brightly to just be that, hmm
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:31 am

The Making Of: Omikron: The Nomad Soul

EDGE wrote:French game developer David Cage isn’t enjoying his trip on the London Underground. It’s 1998 and he’s southbound on the District Line. Destination: Wimbledon, home to the Lawn Tennis Association and also, more importantly, the HQ of Eidos Interactive. In a backpack he carries a PC – a monster of a machine, powerful enough to run the demo of his passion project Omikron: The Nomad Soul.

Cage is, understandably, on edge. The rig on his shoulder is heavy, but his hopes weigh heavier still. He desperately needs this to go well; across the Channel, Cage’s start-up company Quantic Dream is running out of time.

Omikron began with an impossible vision. Cage, a professional musician with a background in commercials, wrote an initial, 200-page concept document outlining the kind of game he wanted to play.

“I was dreaming of a game with an open-world city where I could go wherever I wanted, meet anybody, use vehicles, fight and transfer my soul into another body,” he tells us. “When my friends read it they said: ‘David, this is impossible. It’s not technically feasible, don’t even think about it.’”

Visionaries don’t waste time wringing their hands over something as passé as feasibility, however. It didn’t matter to Cage that PC 3D cards were still in their infancy. He took the money he’d made from scoring commercials, hired a team of six friends with development experience and started production in a sound-proofed studio that once belonged to Belgian singer Jacques Brel. There were thick doors, no windows and everyone was crammed into a 15m square space.

Cage insisted on paying the team, not for altruistic reasons, but so that he could be the boss. “I wanted to be able to demand something of them, ask them to be there on time in the morning and work long days.” They went into instant crunch mode, having just six months to make the impossible demo; if they didn’t finish it before then, Cage would be broke and the dream would be over.

In the penultimate week of development, Cage got on the phone and asked publishers in the UK if they were interested in seeing his realtime 3D demo. Eidos said yes and when John Kavanagh, the VP of product development, saw the impossible demo with its dynamic city environment and motion-captured, canoodling pedestrians he signed Quantic Dream immediately – just three days before Cage’s start-up money ran out.

Omikron: The Nomad Soul showcases more ideas in its first ten minutes than most games achieve in their entire duration. Released in November 1999, two years before Grand Theft Auto III popularised the 3D open-world concept, Omikron invited players into an awe-inspiringly dynamic, futuristic city. It also featured a story about demons, hell and the transmigration of souls. “It’s the world’s first Buddhist game,” quips Phil Campbell, who was then senior designer at Eidos. “Buddhist with guns, I call it.”

Set in a totalitarian city ruled by a supercomputer and replete with RoboCop-style satirical ads (“Drink Quanta Cola, the energising drink with radioactive quanta extract”), the game possessed a subversive, cyberpunk edge. Imagine The Fifth Element crossed with Liberty City and a dash of Parisian red-light district Pigalle: among the supermarkets, temples and libraries are strip clubs populated by kabuki-faced pole dancers and sex shops crammed with dildos. The subversive quality seeps into the story too: starting out as a cop interrogating enemies of the state, you eventually join the resistance. One avatar’s terrorist is another avatar’s freedom fighter.

“There were many new ideas, probably too many,” admits Cage. “I wanted to mix different genres but I wouldn’t say we were 100 per cent successful.” Seesawing between adventure game, RPG, firstperson shooter, 3D fighting game, and the odd bit of driving, Omikron was about ten games in one.

It didn’t always work, not least the switches between third- and firstperson perspectives for the awkward shooting sequences. “I’m in the 15 per cent of people who can’t play games in firstperson because I get sick,” Cage explains. “Initially we wanted to have the shooting in thirdperson because firstperson gives me headaches and we didn’t think it fit with the style of the game. But Half-Life was very successful at the time and Eidos really pushed for firstperson. I think it was a mistake.”

Flawed as it might have been, it was flawed genius. Campbell, who’d later leave Eidos to join Quantic Dream as its chief creative officer, was among those who were wowed by Cage’s vision. “I went out with him at E3 and got him drunk, worming my way onto the project,” he recalls. “We invented an alter-ego for David, calling him ‘Foggy.’ It was primarily intended to start the cult of ‘David Cage’!”

More here:
http://www.edge-online.com/features/the ... omad-soul/
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:09 am

phpBB [video]
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming