Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:55 am

Yep and that 1M was US and Canada and when the numbers got announced the first day still had several hours left in the US but that doesn't matter as word is it was a sell out. Reports are saying 1.5m which is what the 360 did in its first month worldwide.

Both have great first day numbers.

My Dead Rising 3 won't work for some reason. Hoping its just a faulty disc as everything else has worked fine but looking around it could be because the patch has not downloaded yet. Why MS don't allow us to check dl progress yet is beyond me.

Edit - yeah appears to just be down to the patch. Downloads are a little slow right now due to the heavy traffic.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby south carmain » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:37 am

Raithos wrote:
south carmain wrote: I want to get a gaming PC but with all this talk of Shenmue possibly going to be a PS4 exclusive I'm not sure if I should keep the money and get a PS4 if it's announced instead.

ah well, even if it's announced it probably won't be released for another year or so so might as well just get the PC

Do it man. I want Shenmue 3 as much as the next guy, but don't let a small possibility stop you from getting a PC. by the time it does release, if ever, the PS4 would surely have gotten a price drop/hardware revision by then. That's what I'm waiting for before I buy one. But without that exclusive I won't. No sense in playing multi-platform games on slower hardware if you don't have to. Please don't take that as console bashing, I'm just being honest. I love my consoles too

yeah you're right, now that MGS5 will be making it to PC and FF15 will most likely be too I see no point in getting a PS4 other than Yakuza which we might not get in the west anymore anyway

that said the PS4 is on par with current gaming PCs it will take a few years to get a better rig that doesn't cost $1000+ for the tower alone
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:04 pm

Got an Xbox One but got no games for it yet. Have ACIV and Dead Rising 3 coming my way in a few days.

I just tried to download Killer Instinct since you get the free character and I really don't like the Windows 8 type dashboard. I had no problem with any of the 360 ones but this is all over the show. You can't check your download progress, unless the game you want to find is being advertised on the store you have to do a search, things like the settings option is buried in the my games section for some reason. It just seems like they threw it together in 5 minutes. I know it will be fixed eventually as you couldn't do tons of things when the 360 launched but I hope they're quick about it.

Also if you have the day one edition I suggest selling that achivement on ebay as it's sometimes going as high as £30. I didn't even think about looking at how the controller is doing on there until after I'd used it and the prices where crazy.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:46 pm

Go to my games and apps and it will show you the download/install %.

Enjoyed what I've played of Dead Rising and Ryse so far.

FIFA is well FIFA.

Damn never thought about selling the Day one achievement. Used it to test the Kinect scan.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:33 pm

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/83686491/

That sounds horrible, I wonder how many cases there have been of this?

Weird how I will feel perfectly fine buying a handheld on launch, but never EVER a console, except maybe a nintendo one.

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: Raithos
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Axm » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:37 pm

^Holy crap.. owch.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Raithos » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:02 pm

That's got to be the worst feeling when you spent $500 dollars on something, but sadly it happens with all electronics. Buying something on release day is like playing the lottery, except only a few people lose. But it's worth taking the chance if theirs a good game you want.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Henry Spencer » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:12 pm

AnimeGamer183 wrote: http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/83686491/

That sounds horrible, I wonder how many cases there have been of this?

Weird how I will feel perfectly fine buying a handheld on launch, but never EVER a console, except maybe a nintendo one.

Carts vs discs. Still shitty that in this day and age discs are still prone to damage as they were back in the 90s. Still though, what Raithos is true, you're always better off letting people who rush out to get these consoles get burned and for the manufacturers to fix these issues for when it goes down in price (and there is better and more games/software available). It really is win-win for those of us who wait it out.

Hope the blue flashing light (of death) for the PS4 and these disc tray issues with the Xbox One aren't as frequent as the RROD for 360 and old PS3 units dying.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Axm » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:20 pm

So far from what ive seen, the blue light "of death" was a firmware problem and not hardware related. Since the 1.51 update we should be seeing alot less of that. But the PS4 still has bad units out there mostly coming from amazon that had genuine hardware issues such as fans not working and causing over heating. And the occasional DOA unit. Far from a perfect launch but id say after this current 1.51 update and all the bad units being weeded out its much safer to buy a PS4 now.
Xbox One with this new disc tray problem, who knows how bad that will be. Seen it on Kotaku now. Thankfully I and everyone else I know with an Xbone are ok.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Raithos » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:22 pm

south carmain wrote:that said the PS4 is on par with current gaming PCs it will take a few years to get a better rig that doesn't cost $1000+ for the tower alone

My friends got a AMD cpu/mobo setup with a gtx 760 and he runs BF4 on high settings 70-90fps at 1080p, both consoles are only running 720p 60fps in BF4. They can't handle higher resolutions with the frostbite 3 engine without compromising graphic quality. That engine is being used in almost every upcoming EA title now. That setup ran him 550 or so, and that's with shipping. Pretty much on par with the price of a xbox one, and more powerful than either one console just released. So it will be a viable setup for him for at least the life of the current gen consoles. PC is my main gaming platform though, I only play exclusive on consoles. I can't wait see what they bring out this gen.

The newest edition to my rig
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Axm » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:33 pm

Raithos wrote:
south carmain wrote:that said the PS4 is on par with current gaming PCs it will take a few years to get a better rig that doesn't cost $1000+ for the tower alone

My friends got a AMD cpu/mobo setup with a gtx 760 and he runs BF4 on high settings 70-90fps at 1080p, both consoles are only running 720p 60fps in BF4. They can't handle higher resolutions with the frostbite 3 engine without compromising graphic quality. That engine is being used in almost every upcoming EA title now.

My suggestion for EA is to work harder in the future. PS4 is running Killzone 4 at 1080p native and 60fps. The consoles these days can and will handle it. The rush job ports EA and Activision are putting out arent going to be an acurate representation of the years to come.
Last edited by Axm on Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby south carmain » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:33 pm

@axm I read that in total 4000 PS4 consoles failed, that's a fail rate of 0.04% which is extremely low. nothing to be worried about it just seems like a big deal since everyone has the possibility to easily complain to the world about it now
Raithos wrote:

My friends got a AMD cpu/mobo setup with a gtx 760 and he runs BF4 on high settings 70-90fps at 1080p, both consoles are only running 720p 60fps in BF4. They can't handle higher resolutions with the frostbite 3 engine without compromising graphic quality. That engine is being used in almost every upcoming EA title now. That setup ran him 550 or so, and that's with shipping. Pretty much on par with the price of a xbox one, and more powerful than either one console just released. So it will be a viable setup for him for at least the life of the current gen consoles. PC is my main gaming platform though, I only play exclusive on consoles. I can't wait see what they bring out this gen.

The newest edition to my rig

the GTX 760 alone costs only 100 less than the PS4, that plus a good CPU would cost you 500-600$ at least and a few hundred more to include the other components. And due to developers having to work with one single piece of dedicated hardware means a console can go a lot further than it's specs would on PC so more powerful doesn't mean much in this case
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Raithos » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:06 pm

Axm wrote:
Raithos wrote:

My friends got a AMD cpu/mobo setup with a gtx 760 and he runs BF4 on high settings 70-90fps at 1080p, both consoles are only running 720p 60fps in BF4. They can't handle higher resolutions with the frostbite 3 engine without compromising graphic quality. That engine is being used in almost every upcoming EA title now.

My suggestion for EA is to work harder in the future. PS4 is running Killzone 4 at 1080p native and 60fps. The consoles these days can and will handle it. The rush job ports EA and Activision are putting out arent going to be an acurate representation of the years to come.

Yeah but Killzone is different, it was developed solely for the PS4. When it comes to multiplatform titles it gets hard to optimize three different versions of the game. It shouldn't be that way since the architecture is so similar now, but developers have said and shown in videos (even during microsfot/sony presentations) the majority of upcoming titles are being developed on PC first, then ported to consoles more so than ever now because of that.

@south carmain
the 760 is only 249 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130932, you can get a combo on the 8350 w/mobo for 299 so that's 550. I was assuming you already an old PC and were building a new one. case is whatever you want to spend, heres a psu for 35 bucks after rebate http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817207013 ram for $55 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820148540 that's 640 plus a case and youll have a great PC. The case, psu and ram can be used again in your next build. Unless they somehow come out with super RAM in the next 5 years lol. I'm using the case, PSU and RAM from a build I did 4 years ago.

"And due to developers having to work with one single piece of dedicated hardware means a console can go a lot further than it's specs would on PC so more powerful doesn't mean much in this case"

Yes that's true for exclusives, which is why I play consoles for exclusives (and JRPG's lol). But a PC will always pull ahead in multi-platform releases since they are not developed for any single platform. I will be getting a PS4 in the future no doubt about that, I don't want anyone to take what I'm saying as bashing either new console. I'm just stating how I see it as a gamer and tech enthusiast.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Riku Rose » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:06 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote: Go to my games and apps and it will show you the download/install %.

Yeah I see that.

Is there a way to even cancel downloads? I wanted to pause something to let something that wouldn't take an hour to download first but everything I pressed did nothing. My internet even cut out at one point and to restart the download I had to find the thing I wanted in the store again.

Also when I loaded Killer Instinct it showed the logo of the game for about 30 seconds before loading. The thing is that in the 30 seconds it took it twice went back to the dashboard as if I had pressed the Xbox button.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Axm » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:23 pm

Raithos wrote:
Axm wrote:
Raithos wrote:

Yeah but Killzone is different, it was developed solely for the PS4. When it comes to multiplatform titles it gets hard to optimize three different versions of the game. It shouldn't be that way since the architecture is so similar now, but developers have said and shown in videos (even during microsfot/sony presentations) the majority of upcoming titles are being developed on PC first, then ported to consoles more so than ever now because of that.

Yes ofcourse I know all that, but if you're going to make the case that multiplatform titles with these consoles simply arent capable of 1080p native @60fps then thats obviously not true and I have to revert to my previous statement that EA and Activision should work harder on optimization instead of trying to meet the marketing departments release deadlines.
I see that as the real problem these days. Yearly release sequels are whats hurting these new consoles right now, not that they cant dish out comparable PC performance.
And obviously yes, PC will always be at the bleeding edge so all we can do is say the consoles can meet bottom to mid level PC performance.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming