Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby OL » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:51 pm

That's crap. Seems like Square have an opposite outlook on western release than Tecmo Koei; Tecmo seems to release their obscurities physically in the UK/Europe, while they go digital in NA. Kinda weird. You'd think most Japanese companies would look at this stuff in a more similar light.

OL has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:27 pm

Well, after much Googling and all around messing around jumping through hoops in the vain hope of finding a way around missing out on loads of content, I pre-ordered the collector's edition of Drakengard 3 and will be using a redirect service for it to get to me; called Borderlinx, who even offer to repackage the item to save the customer money on shipping/importing costs.

Fuck paying £40+ for a measly digital only release that's like 15 gigs and without all of the amazing shit the collector's edition has OR waiting it out until it appears on eBay, for like £180 or something. It's weird, since Square Europe used to offer all of the special editions and just generally physical releases over here without fail (and in the off-chance it was NA only, I could import it off eBay/Amazon with ease), just typically they decide to stop that practice (and start a "NA store only" practice, which is just stupid) with a game I'm really looking forward to. Oh well, I found a way around it anyway (hopefully, fingers crossed).

I sincerely hope this isn't the beginning of a new age for those of us who like these more niche games from big publishers.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: Bambi
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby mue 26 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:40 pm

Probably is, more and more niche games are becoming Digital Download only, sadly. Though, it might also make such games more easy to release, so more might make it over I guess.

The game looks good. Do you think it will have cut content though? I remember you describing some sexual mini game or something?
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Raithos » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:11 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: Well, after much Googling and all around messing around jumping through hoops in the vain hope of finding a way around missing out on loads of content, I pre-ordered the collector's edition of Drakengard 3 and will be using a redirect service for it to get to me; called Borderlinx, who even offer to repackage the item to save the customer money on shipping/importing costs.

Fuck paying £40+ for a measly digital only release that's like 15 gigs and without all of the amazing shit the collector's edition has OR waiting it out until it appears on eBay, for like £180 or something. It's weird, since Square Europe used to offer all of the special editions and just generally physical releases over here without fail (and in the off-chance it was NA only, I could import it off eBay/Amazon with ease), just typically they decide to stop that practice (and start a "NA store only" practice, which is just stupid) with a game I'm really looking forward to. Oh well, I found a way around it anyway (hopefully, fingers crossed).

I sincerely hope this isn't the beginning of a new age for those of us who like these more niche games from big publishers.

Damn dude sorry you had to go through all that, hope it didn't cost too much. But glad you were able to get it. Square has been known to do that though, just look what they did with the FFXIII series. UK/EU got the collectors edition of XIII, while we got just a standard release. And now if I'm not mistaken we get the CE of Lighting Returns and you guys don't right? Total opposite. Hell they even gave you guys CE's of some PSP titles like 3rd Birthday, Tactics Ogre (thankfully I was able to get it) and a few others. It's def some BS if you ask me. I just wish there was some kind of consistency in their releases. I hate trying to track down a release I want that didn't make it over here. Since PS3 is region free, you would think they would just make a single international release in English and ship it globally.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby OL » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:14 pm

Fucking christ, square have a shitty ordering site. I tried to preorder the game, had to reset my password and all that jazz first, then when I finally placed the order... I don't get a confirmation email. Instead, I got a notification of suspicious activity on my account.
That was me doing the "suspicious" activity you cunts!
All I did was reset a password and preorder something!
And now I'm trying to find somewhere to send a message to ask if my order actually went through or not, and there's nowhere to contact them. Fucking hell.
Seems like I won't know if I even ordered the damn thing until it comes out.
Seriously, what kind of ordering site doesn't have a customer service email?

EDIT: Fifteen minutes later, I finally get the confirmation email. Jesus.
Point still stands though. Shitty ass site.

OL has received 2 thanks from: Raithos, St. Elmo's Fire
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:35 pm

^Reading more into it, it seems that Digital River (the ones handling Drakengard 3) are the same guys who handled the shitty service with those Nino Kuni pre-orders that were all messed up. I still haven't received an order confirmation via e-mail.

And yes, I had to reset my password on the Square-Enix Portal site too, "suspicious activity", like what? Buying your stuff, Square, come on!

Raithos wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote: Well, after much Googling and all around messing around jumping through hoops in the vain hope of finding a way around missing out on loads of content, I pre-ordered the collector's edition of Drakengard 3 and will be using a redirect service for it to get to me; called Borderlinx, who even offer to repackage the item to save the customer money on shipping/importing costs.

Damn dude sorry you had to go through all that, hope it didn't cost too much. But glad you were able to get it. Square has been known to do that though, just look what they did with the FFXIII series. UK/EU got the collectors edition of XIII, while we got just a standard release. And now if I'm not mistaken we get the CE of Lighting Returns and you guys don't right? Total opposite. Hell they even gave you guys CE's of some PSP titles like 3rd Birthday, Tactics Ogre (thankfully I was able to get it) and a few others. It's def some BS if you ask me. I just wish there was some kind of consistency in their releases. I hate trying to track down a release I want that didn't make it over here. Since PS3 is region free, you would think they would just make a single international release in English and ship it globally.

Exactly, that's what I mean, I really appreciated the special editions of Tactics Ogre and 3rd Birthday we got over here, but it's also the fact that the DLC (which includes missions, costumes and Japanese voice acting) are all tied to the US version only. The annoying part is that stuff will probably be on the disc already, they're just locking it off for the EU/Aus/NZ etc regions.

Square should really unify the system so that all regions get the same content.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:31 pm

If you ever need to download something from the US PSN store, make a second account with a fake US address.

Using this game as an example, you would need to log in to your US account and redeem all DLC vouchers for the game and install everything. Then when you log out and switch to you UK account you will have access to everything that is currently on your system. It doesn't matter where it comes from, once its there all accounts on the system can use it. This works 100% percent of the time with DLC, and most of the times with games. There are very few where it doesn't, like Final Fight from the PSN store. That one is locked down for some reason. That's how people game share. I had to use my UK account to redeem the armor DLC for MGR when it came out. I know it sucks having to go through all those steps, but at least this way you can access everything you pay for without worrying about region locks. I have several games from both UK/JP PSN store that I play and earn trophies with on my US account.

Raithos has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:57 pm

Well, I just had my pre-order cancelled. But good news awaits!

Regular edition:
http://www.play-asia.com/drakengard-3-p ... -7ih1.html

Collector's Edition:
http://www.play-asia.com/drakengard-3-c ... -7ih5.html

YES! Play-Asia pulls through once again.

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: OL, Raithos
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:40 pm

anyone know the difference between the ps3 and vita versions of sonic racing transformed?
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Raithos » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:43 pm

Nothing content wise, as far as I know. The vita version is free with PS+ tho
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:10 pm

I think I am going to have to bite on that Drakengard 3 CE. Mmmm the sexyness. Also im pretty sure forking out the cost of the game plus shipping will be worth it, there will only be 5000 made so its GOING to be rare, so it should make a good addition to anyones JRPG collection. Wonder how much it will be worth 10-15 years from now?

And speaking of the weird release pattern of squares collectors editions around the world, I bought the Bravely Default Collectors Edition i pre-ordered today. Still kind of makes me scratch me head about why we didnt get the figure/statue like the european release seeing as that was the only thing excluded in the US CE. I might post a bit more about that CE later as I havent opened it yet.

edit - nevermind, I might miss out on the Drakengard 3 CE. Anyone know if I have to pay the entire balance as soon as I pre-order through the square-enix site? I would prefer to use paypal but I dont have the funds atm, hopefully I can pre-order now and pay later, any info would be great.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:20 pm

I didn't even notice it was limited to 5000. Glad I ordered mine already then.

Didn't they get a larger soundtrack and we got stuck with a 10 song sample? Not sure if that is true or not, but I remember reading that as well. Mine just got here, haven't opened it yet. Either way it was only $10 more than the regular edition, so was pointless not to get it. The box is freaking awesome

EDIT: if you pay with pay pal yeah you pay the whole thing up front. If you pay with credit they do a pre authorization charge that goes away after a few days, just to make sure the card is real/the funds are there. The charge has already been removed from my account

Raithos has received a thanks from: AnimeGamer183
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Thief » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:51 pm

I just beat the first Castlevania game for the first time -- was supposed to be studying today but I feel like accomplished something much greater. :)

Thief has received 2 thanks from: OL, Raithos
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:30 pm

Raithos wrote: I didn't even notice it was limited to 5000. Glad I ordered mine already then.

Didn't they get a larger soundtrack and we got stuck with a 10 song sample? Not sure if that is true or not, but I remember reading that as well. Mine just got here, haven't opened it yet. Either way it was only $10 more than the regular edition, so was pointless not to get it. The box is freaking awesome

EDIT: if you pay with pay pal yeah you pay the whole thing up front. If you pay with credit they do a pre authorization charge that goes away after a few days, just to make sure the card is real/the funds are there. The charge has already been removed from my account

you wouldnt happen to know how much that charge is would you?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:36 am

Yep. It was $99.57 with tax and shipping. If you can deal with the charge for a few days I definitely would man, it's going to be worth it. I wonder what the next two freebies will be
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming