Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby Kenny » Thu May 22, 2014 5:40 pm

I still watch his videos but only when he gets stuff I never even heard of before, such as the Sonic Anniversary Wine Glasses that were given out to a few members of Sonic Team around the time Sonic Adventure 2 came out.

I don't really bother with his long winded videos on eBay hunting or any of that stuff. I just want to see what kinds of crazy merchandise is out there.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Riku Rose » Thu May 22, 2014 7:42 pm

OL wrote: I don't know if that video was supposed to be a good thing or not, but I just found it kind of sad. This little kid is thirteen, and he's already so desperate to be labeled by his property. Why are people so eager to be defined by stuff? There's nothing wrong with collecting or having a passion for something, but this kid is talking about it as if it some kind of art form, talking about "what it means" to be a collector.
Dude, it doesn't mean shit. It's a pastime.
So not only are we raising a generation of kids desperate to fit into a bunch of sad little labels, but they're pretentious as well.
Go climb a tree, kid.

I think it's sad when anyone defines themselves as a gamer. I love video games but I don't base my entire life around them and make it what defines me as a person. It's pretty obvious the video game sub culture attracts some people who are seen as outcasts in most social life but I think some people get far too attached as they feel they have finally found a place where they 'belong'. When you find something like video games and you have nothing else going on it's easy to make it a big part of your life.

I couldn't work out why Dorian played games as it seemed like video games were just hard work for him and he got joy from them about 5% of the time. Sadly the guy must have not had much going on as being a gamer and gay are the only two words he could ever use to actually describe himself. You have to step back and wonder how much fun you're really having otherwise you're just wasting your time when you could be doing something you enjoy.

Riku Rose has received 2 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Kenny » Thu May 22, 2014 8:00 pm

I don't think there's anything wrong with calling yourself a "gamer", just like it's just no worse than calling yourself a "surfer", a "raver", a "racer", and just about anything else.

I think it's latching onto a label desperately that's a big turn off. Most (if not all) people tend to stick to the activities they love the most but have other interests as well. Trying to tout yourself as one label and aggressively showing people how much you identify with it is pretty sad cause at that point you're just trying to show off.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Fri May 23, 2014 6:57 pm

^Pretty much what I was trying to say. Although I don't use the word gamer as I think it sounds a bit high and mighty I just think it's a little sad when it's like the first or second thing someone says about themselves. People should be able to say a few things about themselves like outgoing, funny or quiet before they start using hobbies to describe themselves.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat May 24, 2014 12:18 am

why is it so hard to find an north america copy of The Last Remnant on PC? amazon and ebay have some absurd prices and some really cheap ones (the UK/Europe version, one guy even said the box was in russian...). Course I could always buy a used copy on ebay that for sure is the NA version because there is an actual picture of his copy, but im not sure if I can use the same passcode to install it on my computer?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Sat May 24, 2014 1:27 am

What. $19.99 dude lol

http://www.amazon.com/The-Last-Remnant- ... st+remnant

edit: eKnightMedia is the seller that has the US one
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Riku Rose » Sat May 24, 2014 8:30 am

A piece Adam Sessler wrote about his life with games:
http://kotaku.com/memories-of-my-16-yea ... 1580581507

Everyone should give it a read, it's quite sweet and sad in parts and I'm not someone who has ever really watched or followed the guy.

The main thing I find quite depressing is how he was pretty much pushed out of the games industry because people didn't like his opinion on certain matters. It's fine disagreeing with people but the things people where saying about him and his family online was sickening. I don't really like to slag people off like him or others in the games industry as I don't really know what they're like in real life. You get people calling the likes of Phil Fish or Cliffy B a cunt at every chance but that's only because of something they said one time or they made a game people didn't like. Phil Fish may have said he doesn't think Japan makes good games anymore but he could be a great person to go on a night out with and have a drink. David Cage may constantly say games need to be more like movies but he could be the most pleasant person to sit down and have a meal with in a restaurant. It's a little sad that there is such a big youtube comment section type culture out there who can so backhandedly label someone a cunt over such a small disagreement and feel they should die because of it.

Riku Rose has received 2 thanks from: Axm, OL
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat May 24, 2014 9:47 am

Raithos wrote: What. $19.99 dude lol

http://www.amazon.com/The-Last-Remnant- ... st+remnant

edit: eKnightMedia is the seller that has the US one

Where does it say its the US version?
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby OL » Sat May 24, 2014 12:15 pm

Regions don't matter with PC games. You can get a UK copy of a PC game and it'll still work on your US PC just fine.

OL has received a thanks from: AnimeGamer183
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Sat May 24, 2014 1:59 pm

Amazon requires sellers to list discrepancies in listed items from the main listing, doesn't always happen but they do. Plus that's a US seller. The chances of an individual getting cases of games from a UK distributor is slim to none unless its a specialty product. I mentioned that seller in particular because I've bought games from him/her on Amazon and the eBay store before, all US versions. I'm with ya on having US copies of games if possible, but PC games are usually all the same. Nothing gets changed for different markets like console games sometimes do. I've got PAL copies of Metro 2033, Dues Ex: HR, Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition, and a few others.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat May 24, 2014 4:11 pm

I just want the NA version because it seems less common. I just want a physical copy and am willing to pay the extra cash even though I could just download it from steam for $10. Wait... PC games arent worth shit anyway if I remember correctly. But still... want...
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Raithos » Sat May 24, 2014 5:18 pm

Cool thing is it doesn't require steam or origin, so even if you buy the used one it should work. I buy physical if they don't require a third party launcher like Steam or Origin (Dragon Age: Origins, Witcher 2, Oblivion, STALKER). But I don't usually buy games based on worth. You have to remember, console games weren't worth the prices they are now just a few years ago, with the exception of a few really rare titles. Prices didn't shoot through the roof until the past couple years due to the whole retro bandwagon everyone jumped on lately. In 2011 I bought a second copy of Chrono Trigger for my brother since he always borrowed mine, for $65 bucks plus shipping on eBay. Box manual and everything. Nowadays just the cart alone goes for that much if not more. It's ridiculous how the prices have been driven up due to these so called collectors that don't even play the damn things.

Raithos has received a thanks from: OL
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Kenny » Mon May 26, 2014 12:06 am

phpBB [video]
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby lavrentis » Mon May 26, 2014 9:05 am

I'll never understand anyone who gets overly angry about video games.
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Crimson Ryan » Mon May 26, 2014 10:22 am

lavrentis wrote: I'll never understand anyone who gets overly angry about video games.

I would do if people were cheating, but if I generally suck at the game, where's the beef?
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming