Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts (Read OP Before Posting)

Postby amiga1200 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:41 am

:-k tough one.
all that comes to mind right now, is 'pier solar' but i'm not sure if it interests?!
it's possible to get a cartridge (not speculating on price, it's a relatively new game) or the dump for an emulator. :mrgreen:
(had ZERO luck loading it on the MED v2. rom was over 6m expanded from zip/tzip archive. this version of MED only has a 4m eeprom/game buffer.)
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Location: Third space 3Avatar class heavy battleship, Damocles
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with gravimetric drives

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:35 am

Thief wrote: I have a question for any of you guys who're very familiar with the Genesis/Mega Drive. Personally, I'm much more familiar with the SNES than I am with the Genesis, but i'm looking for games of a certain type on the Genesis -- that type is games like Link to the Past or Super Metroid. Games that have large connected overworlds that you can explore but aren't JRPGs. Most Genesis games I've played are usually level-based, which is fine, but I'm looking for something with more of a Metroid/Dark Souls approach. I'm familiar with Crusader of Centy, which I'm going to check out, but want to know if there are anymore I should be aware of. Anyway, thanks.

There aren't a lot of those, they are definitely not of the Genesis' strengths. I suggest Beyond Oasis, Wonder Boy in Monster World, Landstalker. You could also go for Treasure's Light Crusader, but you'll probably feel short-changed.
The best Metroid type game should be Castlevania Bloodlines, for obvious reasons. Something with a bit more action is the first Turrican. "Mega" Turrican had more linear stages.

None of those imo, despite being good to great games, are anywhere near Super Metroid of LTTP so I hope you're not setting yourself up for disappointment. Those two are probably as good as it gets in their categories.

Vyse Hazuky has received a thanks from: Thief
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby Bambi » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:50 am

phpBB [video]

I posted in the other topic but I guess it can go here too, Capcom have approved plans to remake Resident Evil 2. 8)

Bambi has received a thanks from: Kenny
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Kenny » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:03 pm

We Do It, lmao

Kenny has received a thanks from: Monkei
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Bambi » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:18 pm

Kenny wrote: We Do It, lmao

It was definitely the most Japanese thing I've seen in a while.

Bambi has received a thanks from: Monkei
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby Kenny » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:00 pm

Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby south carmain » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:02 pm

Bambi wrote:
phpBB [video]

I posted in the other topic but I guess it can go here too, Capcom have approved plans to remake Resident Evil 2. 8)

too bad for those working on the fan remake but if both get released it would be great to compare who stayed truer to the original.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Bambi » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:18 pm

south carmain wrote:
Bambi wrote:
phpBB [video]

too bad for those working on the fan remake but if both get released it would be great to compare who stayed truer to the original.

I thought so too but it's at least partly due to attention their project received that Capcom decided to greenlight this, plus they must have been massive fans of the game to have undertaken such a project in the first place. Not to mention they always planned on having it available for free.
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby Shibiryo » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:54 pm

"At least I backed Shenmue III!"
Shibiryo
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Currently playing: Shenmue 1&2

Postby OL » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:07 pm

Vyse Hazuky wrote:
Thief wrote: I have a question for any of you guys who're very familiar with the Genesis/Mega Drive. Personally, I'm much more familiar with the SNES than I am with the Genesis, but i'm looking for games of a certain type on the Genesis -- that type is games like Link to the Past or Super Metroid. Games that have large connected overworlds that you can explore but aren't JRPGs. Most Genesis games I've played are usually level-based, which is fine, but I'm looking for something with more of a Metroid/Dark Souls approach. I'm familiar with Crusader of Centy, which I'm going to check out, but want to know if there are anymore I should be aware of. Anyway, thanks.

There aren't a lot of those, they are definitely not of the Genesis' strengths. I suggest Beyond Oasis, Wonder Boy in Monster World, Landstalker. You could also go for Treasure's Light Crusader, but you'll probably feel short-changed.

Yeah, those are pretty much all the ones I would have mentioned. Personally, I'm actually a greater fan of Beyond Oasis and Wonder Boy in Monster World (especially WBiMW) than I am of Link to the Past. I think they have more personality in general, but I'm also nostalgically-biased.
If you can find a translated copy, also go for Monster World IV. I prefer WBiMW (probably just for nostalgic reasons), but MWIV is still an amazingly likable, attractive little game.

OL has received a thanks from: Thief
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:44 pm

Vyse Hazuky wrote:There aren't a lot of those, they are definitely not of the Genesis' strengths. I suggest Beyond Oasis, Wonder Boy in Monster World, Landstalker. You could also go for Treasure's Light Crusader, but you'll probably feel short-changed.

OL wrote:Yeah, those are pretty much all the ones I would have mentioned. Personally, I'm actually a greater fan of Beyond Oasis and Wonder Boy in Monster World (especially WBiMW) than I am of Link to the Past. I think they have more personality in general, but I'm also nostalgically-biased.
If you can find a translated copy, also go for Monster World IV. I prefer WBiMW (probably just for nostalgic reasons), but MWIV is still an amazingly likable, attractive little game.

Vyse Hazuky wrote:The best Metroid type game should be Castlevania Bloodlines, for obvious reasons. Something with a bit more action is the first Turrican. "Mega" Turrican had more linear stages.

None of those imo, despite being good to great games, are anywhere near Super Metroid of LTTP so I hope you're not setting yourself up for disappointment. Those two are probably as good as it gets in their categories.

Thanks guys, I'll go ahead and check out all of those games. I've heard of some of them, but others are completely new to me. I personally consider both Zelda 3 and Super Metroid to be two of the best games ever made, so typically I don't expect things to be better (especially on a console that doesn't specialize in that type of game) so I don't really think I'm setting myself up to be disappointed. I'm just interested to see what the Genesis has to offer in that regard.

I plan on picking up a Genesis Flash Cart, since I prefer to play on original hardware and investing in physical Genesis cartridges has become a little too expensive for my liking these days. So I'll be sure to put the fan-translated copy of MWIV on there :)

Thief has received 2 thanks from: OL, Vyse Hazuky
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:19 pm

I haven't played Wonder Boy in about 15 years but I remember it being awesome. I had it for the Mega Drive but weirdly spent more time on the Game Gear game even though I only ever played that thing at home.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby amiga1200 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:50 pm

since the buzz and hype of 3, s1 and 2 (PAL) have been getting due love and care. (at least half those stats were starting from the past four weeks.)
shows the games are still loved by a silent majority. :mrgreen:
current stats:
Code: Select all
Shenmue (PAL - GDI) [with OST mp3-224kbps]
Active Completed Connectable
Size: 1.91 GB Seeds: 17 Leechers: 1
Last Announce: 30d 18:45:14
Created: 727d 14:48:59
Timespent: 605d 17:47:10
D/mirrored: 99

^ 36.35 g
:mrgreen:
Code: Select all
Shenmue II (PAL - GDI) [with OST mp3-192kbps]
Active Completed Connectable
Size: 2.57 GB Seeds: 8 Leechers: 1
Last Announce: 30d 18:45:14
Created: 726d 21:33:58
Timespent: 604d 20:10:52
D/mirrored: 63
^ 33.83 g
all warm n fuzzy inside, might have a tug?! :P :heart:
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:39 am

So I thought why not and turned on the Final Fantasy 15 demo on my PS4 and started messing around and I finally got a bit further through and I have to say that there is way too much shit going on with that game, I couldnt quite figure out what I was actually supposed to be doing, it gives you so many options and there is alot to it, its complicated, maybe even over whelmingly so. And it takes alot of time to run through areas, it seems like it has a really slow pace to me. Is this supposed to be Final Fantasy meets Elder Scrolls? lol
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby amiga1200 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:48 am

^^ maybe another approach?
can't say i was into 13.
got the first two parts of the trilogy, and will see the story through, but i won't be returning to it as i occasionally do most others.
reason: exactly the reverse of the post above, just knoball.
menus are scaled back.
in fact, in terms of a final fantasy game, it's the first that tries to be a dapne/laserdisc of modern times...a motion video more than it's a game...but a good video though, not a game. (imo) :mrgreen:
amiga1200
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming