Latest Purchases

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Latest Purchases

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:38 pm

I'm not really sure what she's getting at when she says that. It was never denied that the Yakuza activity she talked about doesn't happen. Being a member isn't an illegal offense but they get arrested the same as anyone else when they contribute to any illegal activity.

I'm not discounting being a native gives people some know-how about these organisations but Jake is just as qualified to talk about it. He lived in the country since his teen years and was the first foreign reporter to work at one of the largest newspaper consortiums in the country.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby mue 26 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:08 pm

His argument does seem incredibly naive though. He is plainly suggesting that the"traditional Yakuza" shun away from nasty violent street crime and so they should be tolerated out of fear of a new and worse breed of criminal being allowed to run rampant. This is fear mongering, a very poor argument, and one which can be applied to organised crime syndicates all over the world. But as the lady pointed out, the Yakuza already (and probably solely) engage in abhorrent activities as it is, and these should not be tolerated or turned a blind eye to. Jake's article is almost like propaganda, it has to be said.

I don't know, we may have more petty and violent street crime in London than Tokyo, but I'd rather deal with that and live in a country where the mob is not directly in bed with the bloody government and nearly every institution in the country and so have an almost untouchable status. Maybe if the Japanese gov didn't tolerate Yakuza as much, Jake wouldn't need to fear for his life as much when he goes to Japan.

and was the first foreign reporter to work at one of the largest newspaper consortiums in the country.

Japanese news media, especially the largest outlets, are hardly renowned for their quality and integrity.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Crimson Ryan » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:40 pm

No, they're definitely not 'turned a blind eye too' as you put it, that was a poor choice of words I think we can both agree on that. This article was written when the Japanese government passed a new bill and effectively made one huge umbrella over Yakuza as an illegal conduct and started to crack down and wipe out their influences. Fan magazines were pulled, front companies with Yakuza ties were shutdown and in cases delisted from stock exchanges etc. any way, we'll probably just be going around in circles from here so I'll leave my opinions at the door.

mue 26 wrote:Japanese news media, especially the largest outlets, are hardly renowned for their quality and integrity.

The past year or so that really has come to light with the Yomiuri scandal but I was just referring to his achievements of getting into reporting considering he's a foreigner.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby mue 26 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:14 pm

No, they're definitely not 'turned a blind eye too' as you put it, that was a poor choice of words I think we can both agree on that. This article was written when the Japanese government passed a new bill and effectively made one huge umbrella over Yakuza as an illegal conduct and started to crack down and wipe out their influences. Fan magazines were pulled, front companies with Yakuza ties were shutdown and in cases delisted from stock exchanges etc.

:???: Yes, and that article written by Jake was criticising such measures and suggesting they will lead to more dangerous groups emerging. So he was more or less suggesting a "blind eye" should to be turned to "traditional Yakuza" in order to prevent this. Anyway, it's common knowledge the Japanese gov has been in bed with the Yakuza for yonks now, and they perhaps still are.

The past year or so that really has come to light with the Yomiuri scandal but I was just referring to his achievements of getting into reporting considering he's a foreigner.

I'm not familiar with this guy's work other than that article, but just the fact that he was a foreigner working for a big Japanese newspaper in and of itself is not evidence of his prowess, skill, or integrity as an investigative journalist. Especially as investigative journalism in the major Japanese newspapers is virtually non-existent thanks to the press club system. And it's been well known for much longer than a year or so that the Japanese news media is largely of pathetic quality. Check out the book 'A Public Betrayed: An Inside Look at Japanese Media Atrocities and Their Warnings to the West' by Gamble and Watanabe.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Crimson Ryan » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:41 pm

Put in a pledge to guarantee a copy of the SEGA Mega Drive Collected Works documentary art book on Kickstarter. Read an article saying they've surpassed their original goal by a mile and are now adding an extra 40 pages bringing the total to 340! Here's the official blurb:

SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis: Collected Works will be the definitive volume on the landmark console. The book is officially licensed by SEGA and celebrates the 25th anniversary of the console’s release. It will be an unparalleled treasury of production artwork, interviews, development sketches and hardware manufacturing plans.

It'll be an interesting look at one of first ever games consoles and the nostalgia factor on top of that. Definitely worth the money..

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dar ... cted-works

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: OL
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:57 am

O...M...G... Mendocino Kush from northern cali, these buds were fucking HUGE, biggest high grade buds I have ever seen. 22 grams in those 3 buds. The guy said the biggest bud in the batch weighed 15 grams... I also got a zip of Blueberry yum yum. Time to have tokes. :mari: :mari: :mari:

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: Raithos
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby lavrentis » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:04 am

AnimeGamer183 wrote:

O...M...G... Mendocino Kush from northern cali, these buds were fucking HUGE, biggest high grade buds I have ever seen. 22 grams in those 3 buds. The guy said the biggest bud in the batch weighed 15 grams... I also got a zip of Blueberry yum yum. Time to have tokes. :mari: :mari: :mari:

Is there anybody on this website who isn't a stoner?

Not complaining at all, more the merrier.
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Raithos » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:54 am

Bought this calender :)

http://ouwrfc.wordpress.com/

Raithos has received a thanks from: OL
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby OL » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:27 am

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Okay, so here's the thing... I got a very generous giftcard for christmas, and it just so happened to come about right after I'd bought the Ultramarines Omnibus, which I posted about in another topic.
So I went ahead and bought the Space Marine collector's edition (the game, also posted in another topic), thinking that would be enough Warhammer for me at the moment. But as I read further into the Ultramarines Omnibus, my interest in the whole Warhammer 40k franchise grew and grew, and even though I hadn't even finished the first book in that omnibus yet, I knew I was going to want more.
So I started researching the property, seeing what else was out there, and I was shocked to the bone by just how much there is. So I look to the side and see that magical high-dollar giftcard laying there... and just kind of went wild.
Not even done yet, either. There are about twenty other books I can think of in the franchise that I want to grab at some point too.
Creating a damn library for myself.
And most of these suckers weigh in at around 750-1000 pages.
I think I have a lot of reading to get done.

lavrentis wrote:Is there anybody on this website who isn't a stoner?

Never been one meself.

OL has received a thanks from: Raithos
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:28 am

T-shirt design of one of my favorite comics.

Kenny has received 2 thanks from: OL, Raithos
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Kenny » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:13 pm

^Wearing it right now. :D

Also got this in the mail, because I like irony:

Kenny has received a thanks from: Yama
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:52 pm

^ dont complain when you go bankrupt cause people know you supported pirate bay and downloaded all your movies for free instead of buying them.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Kenny » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:24 pm

But I said I bought it for irony purposes, so that nullifies that.

Kenny has received a thanks from: Axm
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

Latest Purchases

Postby Yama » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:41 pm

Some stuff I've wanted for a while.

Catherine :heart:

Pecking away at the Ghibli limited edition Blu-ray's. Few at a time.

Yama has received 3 thanks from: Axm, OL, Raithos
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Raithos » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:13 pm

Nice! And those actually have both the English and Japanese audio plus subs right?
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic