Ryo heading back to Japan; why?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Ryo heading back to Japan; why?

Postby Jesse » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:00 pm

Hey guys

Alot of people I know think that Ryo will at somepoint head to back to Japan? My question is: Why would he? What would drive him to do this?

Side note: Personally I believe he will cause on the day of the Nozomi picture taking scene in Chapter 1. She says something to the effect of she will be back in the summer. I just dont see this piece of dialogue being included without that being certain.

So I guess I just want to know what do you guys think? I just can't picture Ryo jumping on a plane or boat & heading back home without handling the business with Lan Di first. Unless it was something major. So what do you guys think?
Jesse
Master of the Three Blades

PSN: Jrockstr

Re: Ryo heading back to Japan; why?

Postby Rakim » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:24 am

Obviously its because Lan Di will burn down the Hazuki Dojo after Ine-san dies.

Does anyone else remember this rumor? It used to be on the "theories" section of every Shenmue fan site.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:51 am

Yep i remember that one.

Ryo would only go back at the end of the story unless of course he dies. In fact he is probably dead in the cave now.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:06 am

Maybe because he lives there...?

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: myshtuff
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:15 am

Yeah but for some reason a lot of people thought he would go back mid story as mentioned because they thought Lan Di would go back and burn down the Hazuki home after finding out about the 2nd mirror.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Giorgio » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:27 am

Theory: "Lan Di would go back and burn down the Hazuki home after finding out about the second mirror."

How Lan Di would go back to the Dojo? He has already seen that Ryo is in China (and possibly has understood that Ryo is looking for him, to find him and take revenge et cetera) at the moment when Ryo fight Dou Niu in the "Rooftop Fight".

Even in the "bad ending" of Shenmue I, we can see that Lan Di were not looking for the Hazuki Dojo itself, but he was looking for Ryo [Fuku-san: "I'll never tell you where Ryo-san is...", he only came to the Dojo like he did for the first Mirror, but he would not do that if he knew that Ryo were not in Japan anymore (or, at least, if he was still in Japan but very far away from his home)].

And in the "bad ending" of Shenmue II, we do not see that Lan Di went back to Japan to find the Phoenix Mirror, but (again) he was looking for Ryo.
[Unless, if we can assume that there is an extreme/preposterous scenario (being a side story of bad ending) that Lan Di went to China and there he learned that there is another Mirror, then (without knowing that Ryo is in China and not in Japan) he went back to Japan (to the Dojo) to find Ryo and take that Mirror from him, but there he learned that Ryo is not in Japan anymore (and the Mirror is with him), so then he went back to China to find Ryo et cetera...]

Therefore, if Lan Di learn that there is another Mirror, then only thing that he will do is to go after Ryo.

Like it has been said previously, it is obvious in both "bad endings" that Lan Di go after Ryo (and that is certain with the prophecy that, if Ryo will not hurry up, then "The Dragon [=Soryu/ Lan Di] calls the dark clouds, and hides the morning star [=Ryo]. The path is closed [by the Dragon] and the hope of meeting [with Shenhua = Phoenix] is lost."), no matter where he is (being in the Dojo or in the Cave). (In the other hand, Lan Di does not care about Ryo, but for the Mirror itself.)

Epilogically, personally, I am not sure (and I will never be for real, until Shenmue III will come) yet about the arrival of Ryo back to his home (that is, how it will happen, and if that will ever be a reality), but he must "come back in one piece".
Last edited by Giorgio on Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby QWERTY » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:00 am

To boff Nozomi, obvs.
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby ShenmueTree » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:06 pm

Didn't Nozomi go to Canada? So, that can't be it.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby QWERTY » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:07 pm

ShenmueTree wrote: Didn't Nozomi go to Canada? So, that can't be it.

Shit, yeah. Forgot about that. Ok, um... he returns to boff the cat?
QWERTY
Pee Eye Zee Zee Ay
Banned

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:40 am

He returns to her

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYxCoWcXo_s[/youtube]
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby ShenmueTree » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:52 am

Maybe he learns that a magical item resides in Japan.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Giorgio » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:01 am

While the replies in this thread are getting unserious, let us think that it will be a good question for Yu Suzuki in the next possible interview with him and wait for that to get (maybe not a complete answer, but) at least a hint.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby TheTimeRanger » Tue May 28, 2013 3:44 pm

I could definitely see him going back to Japan at some point, as a gameplay area such as Shenmue I, i dont know, but most likely during the endring sequence.

I could totally see Yu Suzuki wanting it to be that way, a full circle story so to say.
TheTimeRanger
Dojo Designer
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: The_TimeRanger
XBL: TheTimeRanger

Postby Latin King » Tue May 28, 2013 8:44 pm

Who knows? We don't really know if he was going to back Japan, but a map surfaced showing future locations of Ryo's quest (on this forum I believe), and it included more locations in China and even Korea if I recall correctly.
Latin King
West Coast

Return to Shenmue