Iwata takes over NoA/Nintendo Dropping E3?

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Iwata takes over NoA/Nintendo Dropping E3?

Postby Bluecast » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:19 am

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/04/24/ninte ... -closed-e/

In an investor presentation, Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata announced that Nintendo will skip the usual large-scale E3 press conference this year in favor of "a few smaller events that are specifically focused on our software lineup for the U.S. market."

One of these events will be for American distributors, with another closed event "for mainly the Western gaming media." Iwata noted that Nintendo is not planning to announce any new hardware at this E3, with showing off software the main focus.

While Nintendo is dropping a lot of mainstream press attention with this move, it makes a lot of sense for a company with the recent financial history of Nintendo to skip out on some expensive pageantry. Especially when the company makes E3-level announcements monthly, for a tiny fraction of the cost.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/04/24/sator ... -ceo-role/

Nintendo president Saturo Iwata will assume the additional role of Nintendo of America Chief Executive Officer, overseeing NoA President and Chief Operating Officer Reggie Fils-Aime, who remains in place. The move is one of several board changes in the wake of planned retirements.

The executive-level musical chairs will see Iwata replace current NoA chairman and CEO Tatsumi Kimishima, who will transfer to Nintendo's Kyoto headquarters as the General Manager of Corporate Analysis and Administration, and General Manager of the General Affairs Division.

In a statement, Nintendo said the move will support "the company's unified global strategy" and "allow streamlined decision making and enhance Nintendo's organizational agility in the current competitive environment."

"At E3 this year, we are not planning to launch new hardware, and our main activity at E3 will be to announce and have people experience our software. Many people are certainly very interested in learning more about the Wii U titles that we are going to announce. We will use E3 as an ideal opportunity to talk in detail mainly about the Wii U titles that we are going to launch this year, and we also plan to make it possible for visitors to try the games immediately. As a brand new challenge, we are working to establish a new presentation style for E3."

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library ... 25/04.html

To clarify Reggie is still there as COO. Nintendo will not focus on a huge conference as heavily but let's be honest the Nintendo directs have been mostly better than the E3 shows they do. Not a they are doomed but shows they are shaking things up.

Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: Iwata takes over NoA/Nintendo downsizing E3

Postby MiTT3NZ » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:53 am

Clarified like a fanboy.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Re: Iwata takes over NoA/Nintendo Dropping E3?

Postby Crimson Ryan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:37 am

Though it's true I think Nintendo have laughable E3 conferences..
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:54 am

Not doing E3 is beyond stupid especially when Nintendo need to get people excited about the Wii U. The Direct's may be better but they don't get half the press and anywhere near the audience of an E3 conference.

Riku Rose has received 3 thanks from: Axm, MiTT3NZ, ShenmueTree
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby ThyDarkAngel » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:00 am

Not the move I was expecting. It will better the (bad) work NoA is known to be doing, but the company (on the big picture) needs new blood on places of power, not this kind of change.
ThyDarkAngel
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: LOADING...

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:37 pm

Riku Rose wrote: Not doing E3 is beyond stupid especially when Nintendo need to get people excited about the Wii U. The Direct's may be better but they don't get half the press and anywhere near the audience of an E3 conference.

I don't think it's such a crazy idea. They know they'd be viewed as an also-ran at this year's E3, with so much hype and attention being lavished upon their rivals' new hardware and launch line-ups. They can't compete with that kind of spectacle right now. So instead of being a dismissive footnote under headlines raving about Sony and Microsoft, they're taking a step back to ensure any press they do get is all about them. Risky, yes, but I can see why they're doing it.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Axm » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:04 pm

This was unexpected. As Riku said they need to make a mop up show filled with games to excite people. With the Wii U so slugish right now and titles being drizzled out like vague whispers this isnt going to help them. They have the money to do it too, saving money is not what they need to be worried about right now. Unless ofcourse their software line up is really just that piss poor right now that they have nothing substantial to show.
To which I say.. Who here wants to buy my Wii U?
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:51 pm

Riku Rose wrote: The Direct's may be better but they don't get half the press and anywhere near the audience of an E3 conference.

I would disagree, and say the exposure is about the same, E3 might have a slight edge but most of the people get their E3 info from the internet anyway, same way as Nintendo Direct, word gets around regardless these days. I am sure E3 wont make or break them.

Hearing an idea like Riku's goes along with my whole philosophy that we are too close to the situation to make a rational decision about certain gaming circumstances. since we talk gaming on internet forums frequently in our time, it kind of makes our opinion bias on the situation, and I try to come with a more realistic approach from a business stand point and logical theories, the basic approach of more press = more sales doesnt always work and isnt always the case.

AnimeGamer183 has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:09 pm

The only people who really pay atenttion to E3 is people on the internet so Nintendo Directs will be covered by most outlets anyway. We will see how it go's but so far outside 2010 Nintendo at E3 has been disappointing. The directs have been better. Not sure if anyone remembers E3 used to always be held in May and then it was downsized and moved to a later date. During those 2 years all the gaming companies released all the big news online in May. Now days Sony/MS and Nintendo hold these other events outside and long before E3. Big reveals happen a lot now. With the Internet E3 feels like less for the news and more for the show. Still just not bothered dropping one less awkward hour long conference.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Axm » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:12 pm

For me its a confidence breaker. Sure they can change their strategy to benifit themselves but from the outside many people are still judging "who won E3", however significant that may or may not be.
The fact that they may have decided to not do a conference due to a lack of quantity and/or quality is a concern for investors, developers and publishers who want to trust the platform. Nintendo really needed a big moment this year to prove everyone wrong. Not 12 small monthly announcements that will never be memorable.
If MS turns out to be the disapointment everyone is expecting, then Sony will win the hearts and minds of everyone and seal the deal for its launch. Meanwhile Wii U continues to be that system we hope doesnt get shovelware 90% of the time and 2-3 good games a year.
Last edited by Axm on Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Riku Rose » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:05 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
Riku Rose wrote: Not doing E3 is beyond stupid especially when Nintendo need to get people excited about the Wii U. The Direct's may be better but they don't get half the press and anywhere near the audience of an E3 conference.

I don't think it's such a crazy idea. They know they'd be viewed as an also-ran at this year's E3, with so much hype and attention being lavished upon their rivals' new hardware and launch line-ups. They can't compete with that kind of spectacle right now. So instead of being a dismissive footnote under headlines raving about Sony and Microsoft, they're taking a step back to ensure any press they do get is all about them. Risky, yes, but I can see why they're doing it.

Oh I think it's obvious that the PS4 and depending how Microsoft handle their console reveal that they will get the headlines. The thing is that E3 is attended and watched by more people then a Direct conference. You get news outlets that wouldn't even bother to tune into a Direct there in the room with you. Also E3 is shown on many TV channels around the world and websites that yet again will barely talk about a Direct. I think it's Spike in the US that show the conferences and I bet there are ads on TV weeks before building up hype for Nintendo. Every E3 I go onto a website and you see them talking about the announcements when they never normally report on games.

Coming out and showing Zelda, a new Mario, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart and maybe a new Wii Sports would get them less headlines then the PS4 and Xbox 3 but more then a Direct conference will.

Sure this is great for gamers but I feel it's a bad business move.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby ShenmueTree » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:13 pm

The problem with doing Nintendo Directs for E3 is that it's not catering to people who aren't already Nintendo fans to some degree. Of course there are going to be thousands watching the videos, but those people are already Nintendo fans that don't really need to be won over, but in some cases they do need to be won back.

I think the Wii U has made even huge fans on edge and it even makes them feel let down, Nintendo need to bring it big in ALL areas, not just the ones where they're comfortable, I'm talking about including areas in which people who are not Nintendo's demographic right now but might move towards there if given ample motivation to do so.

Doing it the Nintendo Direct way is not the right way, in my opinion.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Re: Iwata takes over NoA/Nintendo downsizing E3

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:35 am

MiTT3NZ wrote: Clarified like a fanboy.

Re: Gaming thoughts of the day

Postby Ryudo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:17 pm
God Damn Vita is awesome. Don't let it fail Sony. Get a naked Christina Hendricks to hand out 50$ off coupons.

viewtopic.php?p=1017536#p1017536

I think he just likes stuff. He did rush out an get a Vita, but dosen't have a WiiU y'know.

Crimson Ryan wrote:Though it's true I think Nintendo have laughable E3 conferences..

Axm wrote:This was unexpected. As Riku said they need to make a mop up show filled with games to excite people. With the Wii U so slugish right now and titles being drizzled out like vague whispers this isnt going to help them. They have the money to do it too, saving money is not what they need to be worried about right now. Unless ofcourse their software line up is really just that piss poor right now that they have nothing substantial to show.
To which I say.. Who here wants to buy my Wii U?

Axm wrote:For me its a confidence breaker. Sure they can change their strategy to benifit themselves but from the outside many people are still judging "who won E3", however significant that may or may not be.
The fact that they may have decided to not do a conference due to a lack of quantity and/or quality is a concern for investors, developers and publishers who want to trust the platform. Nintendo really needed a big moment this year to prove everyone wrong. Not 12 small monthly announcements that will never be memorable.
If MS turns out to be the disapointment everyone is expecting, then Sony will win the hearts and minds of everyone and seal the deal for its launch. Meanwhile Wii U continues to be that system we hope doesnt get shovelware 90% of the time and 2-3 good games a year.

This is a recent article about Nintendo's Stock: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/0 ... 11_percent

This is a recent article about Sony's stock: http://www.itworld.com/it-management/35 ... k-holdings

Nintendo is in the black while sony has been trying to return to profitability for years and despite selling assets is still having trouble tryin to get the playstation brand back to a point of profitability.

So there you sit with a Sony avatar and a jack tretton quote bashing one of the most successful pieces of hardware in history. Your confidence and your view of the market seems alittle...I dunno...eschewed. Wheres Mittz to call this out?

Riku Rose wrote:Not doing E3 is beyond stupid especially when Nintendo need to get people excited about the Wii U. The Direct's may be better but they don't get half the press and anywhere near the audience of an E3 conference.

Riku Rose wrote:Oh I think it's obvious that the PS4 and depending how Microsoft handle their console reveal that they will get the headlines. The thing is that E3 is attended and watched by more people then a Direct conference. You get news outlets that wouldn't even bother to tune into a Direct there in the room with you. Also E3 is shown on many TV channels around the world and websites that yet again will barely talk about a Direct. I think it's Spike in the US that show the conferences and I bet there are ads on TV weeks before building up hype for Nintendo. Every E3 I go onto a website and you see them talking about the announcements when they never normally report on games.

Coming out and showing Zelda, a new Mario, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart and maybe a new Wii Sports would get them less headlines then the PS4 and Xbox 3 but more then a Direct conference will.

Sure this is great for gamers but I feel it's a bad business move.

ShenmueTree wrote:The problem with doing Nintendo Directs for E3 is that it's not catering to people who aren't already Nintendo fans to some degree. Of course there are going to be thousands watching the videos, but those people are already Nintendo fans that don't really need to be won over, but in some cases they do need to be won back.

I think the Wii U has made even huge fans on edge and it even makes them feel let down, Nintendo need to bring it big in ALL areas, not just the ones where they're comfortable, I'm talking about including areas in which people who are not Nintendo's demographic right now but might move towards there if given ample motivation to do so.

Doing it the Nintendo Direct way is not the right way, in my opinion.

I can answer all of these in one fell swoop because they're mostly the same observation. First off, everyone covers Nintendo directs this is forbes post on the last wiiu focused one: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20 ... -and-more/

They are also streamed on the 3ds, wii, and wiiu.

websites also cover the entire even by posting a bunch of articles, then when its over do one post that has links to everything. During the last Nintendo Direct siliconera posted 19 articles, Kotaku put up 12, ign did about 9.

also in terms of what they're showing, for wiiu they announced they are showing a new zelda, they are showing 2 new mario games for wiiu, they're showing smash bros, and they're showing more of the games from the last wiiu nintendo direct. they announced all of this during that event.

It should also be noted that they are still at E3, meaning the coverage on spike will still happen(for all we know what if spike or something shows the nintendo direct on tv?)), they still have a booth and they still are showing games at the show, but they aren't having a specific event at the venue. The exposure is actually way more direct (hence the name) Theres actually been a lot of dialogue in the past few months about how the nintendo Direct actually makes news sites less important.

Nintendo has also been selling some super niche games at a profit, there hasn't been a point yet where a game announced at a nintendo direct has failed.

This isn't at all stupid, its a well thought out move from a company that is making a lot of money because it keeps selling a crazy amount of games.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Bluecast » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:14 am

Miiverse coming to 3DS later this year
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Axm » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:58 pm

Segata I didnt call ryudo a Nintendo fanboy nor did claim Sony as being profitable. (Although im pretty sure the Playstation division started getting out of the hole a year ago or so with some articles I have read). Im fully aware Sony is in less of a financial lazy boy chair than Nintendo. The beef I have with Nintendo is they arnt trying to impress with a confernece this year and I think that perhaps shows how much they really have being worked on and ready to show. Which doesnt sit well with the $350+ I spent last year.

But dont rag on my Jack Tretton sig! How dare you sir. The man is a saint and a dear friend of mine. And his words are like a soothing vicks vapor rub on my chest.
Last edited by Axm on Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Next

Return to General Gaming