POLL: Ryo Statue

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Which figure are you buying (Total votes: 28)

Standard
18%
Exclusive
11%
Both
21%
None(explain)
50%

Re: POLL: Ryo Statue

Postby AdamKoralik » Wed May 01, 2013 8:07 pm

Ryudo wrote:

Personally with the horribly shit figures we got in the past with Shenhua and Ryo on the Forklift. I think this will be the best we ever get.

Ha, I took that photo.

AdamKoralik has received a thanks from: Bluecast
AdamKoralik
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby mue 26 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:21 pm

Interesting statistics here, the majority seem not to be getting it, yet the most numerous minority seem to be getting both versions of the statue. Seems to be an all or nothing kind of thing going on, or maybe there's just a real disparity between rich and poor on this forum? Personally I surprised quite a few are getting both versions, as the change of base is cool, but it's really not so major to be honest.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sailors? » Wed May 01, 2013 9:26 pm

I didn't add my vote, I bought the standard edition. This is actually the first figure I've ever bought in my life and a damn expensive one too, hype and love of the game made me buy it. Hell I don't even play many games any more but Shenmue holds a massive nostalgic place in my heart, this figure had to be bought for that reason. Oh and I bought the the standard because I don't give a shit about the mirror base.
Sailors?
Still searching...
"After Burner...Great!"

XBL: HuntaOfTheNight
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby mue 26 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:29 pm

Yeah, I do love how gaudy the Mirror base is though.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Wed May 01, 2013 9:30 pm

mue 26 wrote: Interesting statistics here, the majority seem not to be getting it, yet the most numerous minority seem to be getting both versions of the statue. Seems to be an all or nothing kind of thing going on, or maybe there's just a real disparity between rich and poor on this forum? Personally I surprised quite a few are getting both versions, as the change of base is cool, but it's really not so major to be honest.

I'm very poor but getting one but will take me nearly all year to save up. I just been wanting a Ryo Statue since 2003. I wanted the forklift one originally but then saw it. Yuck. I will likely never have a massive Shenmue collection. I have a small but decent one. This to me would cap it off and be happy with it.

In fact if the tweeathon is still going on by years end. I will snap a picture of mine with Ryo with a speech bubble asking for the license.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby mue 26 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:33 pm

Yeah I know, I wasn't really being serious with that rich and poor thing. I do look forward to pics once people start getting their statues :)
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby CharAznable » Thu May 02, 2013 3:10 am

Waited on First4Figures Facebook page the entire day of pre-orders. Hopped in literally less than 10 seconds after the opening dropped and ordered. Had to of been one of the first to get my order in, i did not bother following the broken link. I just used the store on their site. Had no clue how quickly they would sell out or not, just wanted to make sure i got one of the mirror based ones since the Yokasuka manhole cover base was not doing it for me. I just hope they make a Lan Di with the Dragon Mirror as his base, i would buy that in a heart beat after getting Ryo, so long as it does not let me down.
CharAznable
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Steam: QuattroBajeena
Currently playing: Shenmue Forever

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu May 02, 2013 3:15 am

If it was cheaper I'd buy one, but statues don't interest me enough at this price.

To address some opinions I've read in various places, I think if you're keen on it then you should buy it, as with anything, but don't let anyone make you feel obliged to "support the franchise" by paying nearly $200 for something you don't particularly want. I get the "sending Sega a message" thing, but it's possible to send the wrong message as well, encouraging Sega to just milk blindly loyal fans for profit on licensed merchandise without ever having to invest in the game itself.

Buy it if it appeals to you at the price, but don't feel like you're "not a real fan" if it doesn't.

Let's Get Sweaty has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, mue 26
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Fenix » Thu May 02, 2013 7:51 am

mue 26 wrote: Interesting statistics here, the majority seem not to be getting it, yet the most numerous minority seem to be getting both versions of the statue. Seems to be an all or nothing kind of thing going on, or maybe there's just a real disparity between rich and poor on this forum? Personally I surprised quite a few are getting both versions, as the change of base is cool, but it's really not so major to be honest.

I'm not rich, I live in Spain, you know? :rotflmao:

Now, being serious, I think we are all big fans of Shenmue, but majority have sense and they don't want to pay to excesive price for a figure. Just my opinion.
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby Giorgio » Thu May 02, 2013 10:34 am

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:[...]
To address some opinions I've read in various places, I think if you're keen on it then you should buy it, as with anything, but don't let anyone make you feel obliged to "support the franchise" by paying nearly $200 for something you don't particularly want.
[...]
Buy it if it appeals to you at the price, but don't feel like you're "not a real fan" if it doesn't.

I think (like Let's Get Sweaty said) that in the back of a lot of Shenmue fans head there are these thoughts: "If I will buy the statue, then Sega will see how much I am willing to pay just for an inanimate statue. Therefore, Sega will see how much more money (compared to that for the statue) I am ready to pay for Shenmue III when they will make it. So, that will convince them to make it."

I am not saying that is a bad or a good thought (that is something each one must judge for him/er-self), but just to point out that does not guaranteed anything about the game. It may support the idea that F4F will make a Lan Di statue, too (for those who would love that to happen), but that will remain just for the statues.

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:I get the "sending Sega a message" thing, but it's possible to send the wrong message as well, encouraging Sega to just milk blindly loyal fans for profit on licensed merchandise without ever having to invest in the game itself.

This is just what I am thinking lately. That Sega will sniff out that there are some fans out there that will do anything to see a Shenmue III to come out in light. So let's do something about it. Let us find something profitable! That is it! Collectives, figurines, statues, cards, whatever, just produce some stuff with Shenmue on it and let the money flow!

Sega is just a corporation. Feelings (especially ours)? I am not really sure that they care about them (maybe only when they lose money), but I know that they are trying to survive as every other corporation (and that particular one has a hard job on it).

The thing that they revive Sega characters from the past in stuff like these (a recent example is "Sega Japan All Star card packs, inc. Shenmue", but also "Sega All-Stars Racing", "Sega All-Stars Tennis" et cetera) is an indication to me that this is what they are heading for. That they are investing on their golden past to save their rusty present.

That is why they are saying "Never say never for a Shenmue HD", because "while you are not saying never, we are going to take your money (based on your nostalgic feelings for the game), and squeeze you all the way down, until the real thing will(?) come".

There is not hate about Sega (I would say it is just apathy towards it), nor that negativity has taken over the place, but I am trying to see things as they are and the truth itself is always positive in logic [despite that sometimes it is not in feelings (but better to be logic)].

P.S.: They even use Alex Kidd [a hero from "Alex Kidd in Miracle World" (= the only real Alex Kidd game) back in '86] to make their profits...

Ok, enough with my rant...

As for the statue, I chose "None", because:
    1. I am a poor student
    2. It is too expensive
    3. I do not like to collect inanimate stuff (especially when they are that expensive...)
    4. Despite being the best figurine of Ryo until now, I do not really like it (especially its head)
    5. Last but not least: for the reasons I rant about above, that is I will feel like a victim or a slave of Sega and I do not want to be a slave to anyone or anything
Warning: I am just and only talking about myself in the reasons above (why I am not getting the statue). I do not necessarily point to anyone else (and of course you do not need to share the same opinions with me). Thank you for your understanding.

Giorgio has received a thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby mue 26 » Thu May 02, 2013 12:37 pm

I get the "sending Sega a message" thing, but it's possible to send the wrong message as well, encouraging Sega to just milk blindly loyal fans for profit on licensed merchandise without ever having to invest in the game itself.

^ I co-sign this. Buying this won't send Sega any worthwhile type of message. In fact, as Sweaty points out, and as someone on another forum pointed out to me, if this statue is successful, it's more than likely that the only message it will send to Sega is that they can milk Shenmue's long term and loyal fan base for a profit without making Shenmue 3 or Shenmue HD, and essentially just selling them easily produced tat (not that I'm saying this statue is tat, but you know what I mean) or renting the license to those who want to make tat from it. Ultimately, this means that the success of this statue won't bring us any closer to a Shenmue 3 from Sega, and will only take us further from potentially getting Sega to hand over the license, as it won't be quite so worthless any more.

I still like the statue, but I think Sweaty raises a very important point.

mue 26 has received a thanks from: Giorgio
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu May 02, 2013 1:20 pm

Giorgio wrote:That is why they are saying "Never say never for a Shenmue HD", because "while you are not saying never, we are going to take your money (based on your nostalgic feelings for the game), and squeeze you all the way down, until the real thing will(?) come".

My thoughts exactly, concerning Shenmue III as well. They realize that as long as they keep the Shenmue carrot dangling, fans will be keeping half an eye on Sega, which makes it easier to sell them other products (not just Shenmue-related).
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Bluecast » Thu May 02, 2013 1:22 pm

Let's Get Sweaty wrote:
Giorgio wrote:That is why they are saying "Never say never for a Shenmue HD", because "while you are not saying never, we are going to take your money (based on your nostalgic feelings for the game), and squeeze you all the way down, until the real thing will(?) come".

My thoughts exactly, concerning Shenmue III as well. They realize that as long as they keep the Shenmue carrot dangling, fans will be keeping half an eye on Sega, which makes it easier to sell them other products (not just Shenmue-related).

Look what Capcom is doing right now with Mega Man. They keep announcing more Merch but no game.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Master Kyodai » Thu May 02, 2013 5:08 pm

Aight i picked "none" and as it said "Explain" imma do my best to explain it. I guess this is much about feelings, maybe also about your social environment. Well social environment is prolly my wife who would accept an "Otaku" who still buy little comic or game figurines at age 35. Then I'd also feel a bit odd myself for buying a figurine while i ditched my whole Shenmue collection already. Dun get me wrong - like 10 years ago I'd have bought it without hesitating, no matter what it would have costed. Maybe i just got too old? But I'd feel weird today for buying such a useless toy. I mean there's really nothing you can do with it unless you have a collection of He-man or My little pony figurines. And just looking at it won't do the trick for me any more.

If ya feel you want the figurine then just get it, but for me it prolly comes like 10 years too late. I'd still be the first in line to get Shenmue 3, but the time where i collected every snippet that has Shenmue on it is over. It seems to be a really well made figurine and it's not a totally bad ripoff so I'd still recommend it to collectors, but I just ain't a collector any more myself, so for me it's simply quite pointless. I wouldn't know where to put it anyways. So big thumbs up for a well made figurine that features awesome details and is a cool collectible, but I'm simply not in the target audience any more.
Master Kyodai
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sonikku » Thu May 02, 2013 5:33 pm

I would be happy with either, but I especially like the one with the phoenix stand. :)
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue