Sonic Excursion/Sonic Lost World

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Sonic Excursion/Sonic Lost World

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed May 01, 2013 3:09 am

http://segabits.com/forums/index.php?to ... 3#msg53963

RUMOUR
From [Wintos The Traveling Salesman !!Vp9lMh6KQfP]

This past weekend I was able to watch a couple of demonstrations on Sonic Team's upcoming Sonic The Hedgehog game, currently titled "Sonic Excursion." In all they had two levels to show off which all four of the playable characters the story will focus on were able to play through, but do not worry as they all play similarly to Sonic with minor differences, probably to keep up the pacing of the game as that's been an issue with multiple characters in the past.

The demonstration started with the demo's title screen which was accompanied with a song by Ted Poley about exploring together (no hidden innuendos, perverts). The title of the game itself isn't set in stone, but the current one looked similar to Sonic Unleashed's Japanese "Sonic World Adventure" logo. From the title screen, it goes directly to a black screen where you can select between Sonic or Tails using a ball made of falling sparkles, and we were informed that the game starts with both characters unlocked. Every level in the game will be playable with every character, and for almost every level you will be able to select which character you play as before it begins if the story has them currently in your "party."

They selected Sonic and the screen's graphics either re-arranged themselves or left the screen to be replaced by others until it resulted in a zone title screen similar to the ones in Sonic The Hedgehog 3. The first level is called "Shattered Heights" and is similar to the Sonic Generations incarnation of Speed Highway. Very New York themed. We were told the level was five minutes long, but they spent about fifteen minutes showing us parts of the stage's design, focusing on the lighting and shadows and how lighting was one of the main focuses for this game's design. Shattered Heights, for example, started at dawn and by the level's end the entire stage's lighting had changed to more reflect the mid afternoon. Most of the level consists of Sonic and Tails actually breaking through the windows of buildings several stories high and running through apartment hallways, office buildings, and hotel suites with Pixar-like humans gasping and shouting in surprise.

Sonic and Tails communicate throughout the level with each other similarly to the conversations in Sonic Heroes, both commenting on their surroundings and giving you advice on how to play the game. They would often stop at areas in the level to tell us how if we were playing as Tails instead of Sonic, we would be able to fly and reach different paths that Sonic could not access, but most alternate paths were entirely optional and not forced like they were in Sonic Adventure or Sonic The Hedgehog for the Xbox 360. They really wanted to make a Sonic Generations title that played more similarly to the Genesis titles where different characters could play the same levels with the only difference being their personal abilities.

More in the link.

For the record this is the same guy who has correctly leaked every Sonic since Unleashed.
Last edited by Who Really Cares? on Thu May 16, 2013 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Re: Sonic Excursion

Postby Bluecast » Wed May 01, 2013 3:22 am

Not to sure what to think about this. They hit it right with Gens and Colors. So I am going to wait and see. However adding more characters to play as is kinda where it started going downhill in the first place also Humans in Sonic games. Other than Robotnik. Humans are a no.
Terrible Title tho.

Heroes was awful and so was the idea so that makes me nervous and having talk back and forth sounds annoying. Part of this sound cool and others sound oh no not this again. I need to see it before I get excited or disappointed.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Wed May 01, 2013 3:42 am

In gens the 3d was great and the 2d was great, if this can kind of capture the concept behind 2,3 and Knuckles and be that bridge between concepts the way gens is then fuck it, power to em.

Generally I find Sonic games tat are just sonic kind of boring because you're getting one playstyle thats limited to single player, from the description it sounds like they're basically making colors except instead of getting powerups, each character has a sort of unique action, but for the most part plays the same.

I'm kinda hoping this rumor turns out to be true and that the game ends up being fun more then anything.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed May 01, 2013 6:19 am

I'm pretty sure what he means is that from the four selectable characters it'll be like Sonic 3 & Knuckles, so everyone can speed, spindash, etc., but they'll also have 1-5 unique abilities (eg flight, wall climbing, chaos control and so on...)

If this happens, then it sounds like Sonic's definitely back on track. Didn't take em long, did it?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby SaM_4000 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:51 am

Hmm, I wonder if this will be a sequel to Sonic Schoolhouse?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Ohxxd1C2k[/youtube]

Because, lets face it, excursions were always the best part of school.
SaM_4000
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Re: Sonic Excursion/Sonic Lost World

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu May 16, 2013 1:53 pm

Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Crimson Ryan » Fri May 17, 2013 5:16 am

It was rated as a mobile title wasn't it?
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Stocke » Fri May 17, 2013 10:36 am

The game is confirmed as Nintendo exclusive.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/17/434013 ... -u-and-3ds
Stocke
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri May 17, 2013 12:16 pm

There’s A Third Nintendo-Exclusive Sonic the Hedgehog Game, Too

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/17/th ... -game-too/
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Fri May 17, 2013 12:43 pm

Ok I have a 3rd reason to want a Wii U. X,Bayonetta,Sonic
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Axm » Fri May 17, 2013 12:48 pm

How nice of them. Now they just have to keep them exclusive unlike Ubi.
Really would like to play a new sonic game.
But something also tells me they might want to break up the action with having to look at the U controller. If they do good transitions to it rather like with Rayman then it might be great though.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Fri May 17, 2013 1:00 pm

Wait I read some details. WTF. So let me get this straight. Nintendo has Yakuza now and Publishing a Sonic game? Sonic was in one of Nintendo's games....NO NO NO!
WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO THE BALANCE OF THE UNIVERSE!?
What happened to my precious SEGA,Dear fucking lord my Genesis and Master System must not know of this! What next a black president of the United States?!

IT"S A CONSPIRACY! Sega helping a Nintendo with a failing console! Sega trolling us Dreamcast fans since we keep asking for Dreamcast 2 and Sega chooses Wii U a failing white console with a screen in the controller! Sega saying here is your damn Dreamcast 2! And will fail like the first! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Bluecast has received a thanks from: Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Axm » Fri May 17, 2013 1:09 pm

Nintendo should just buy out or merge with Sega tbh. Ya that would be expensive as hell but think of the advantage Nintendo would have with all those exclusives. They'd make the money back and then some.
Then we might actually see Shenmue games again if Nintendo could call the shots. Further Sega exclusives past this are really what the Wii U needs. Then it has a fighting chance atleast.

Axm has received 3 thanks from: Giorgio, Let's Get Sweaty, Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Fri May 17, 2013 1:16 pm

I think we'd finally start seeing some of the arcade games that never make it. I'd be down for a WiiU version of Border Break.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri May 17, 2013 1:41 pm

“Sega have chosen to exclusively partner with Nintendo to distribute or publish the next three Sonic the Hedgehog titles throughout Europe and Australia,” Jurgen Post, COO of Sega Europe, confirmed

...whilst clearing his desk.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Next

Return to General Gaming