POLL: Vita vs 3DS

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Which do you prefer (Total votes: 19)

Vita
32%
3DS
11%
Own Both prefer Vita
5%
Own Both prefer 3DS
No votes
I like both equally
11%
Don't own either yet
42%

POLL: Vita vs 3DS

Postby Bluecast » Wed May 01, 2013 8:33 pm

I know not everyone is into hand held gaming and some would like to argue how smart phones and tablets are a growing market.

This is just simply for owners of either or people who want to upgrade to one.

I have a 3DS XL and the Vita. These are two fantastic systems and while personally feel last gen in hand helds was the best. This one has potential to be better.

3DS is a great system that is plenty powerful. Revelations will show that or Kid Icarus. Eshop is pretty good but still leaves much to be desired compared to PSN. 3D really works but is gimmicky and doesn't add much.The sliders analog is really nice. tho some games might be nice to have a second one. But that rarely happens. It already has a decent library. From the 1st party Nintendo games like Mario,Zelda,Fire Emblem to some games like Metal Gear,Kingdom Hearts,Tekken,Dead or Alive,Street Fighter,Code of Princess,Shinobi Etrian Odesseey and more. Some downsides are surfing the web is a pain. It's not a very good media device for movies or music. It has Netflix but it's slow and SD looking screen. Upside Includes a SD card with every system. Can upgrade to 32GB if you want.

Vita is like PSP in 2004 a marvel at what they packed in a pocket sized device. Internally and externally a really posh(can an American use that word?) system. Vita gives some clue how nice the PS4 might be. The touch screen is very responsive. The screen is OLED and it looks HD. Best looking screen on a hand held device thus far. The system is nearly limitless in what devs can do. Not just in power but the touch screen the touch pad. One game that shows the touch screen and motion really well is Gravity Rush. Also it uses real analog sticks. Dual analog. So Sony thought the hardware out mostly pretty well. Has a nice and simple but classy UI as usual from Sony. Biggest downside to me is the memory cards. Overpriced.

Now if concerned for selection of titles. It get's more flack than it deserves. It has Uncharted,Gravity Rush,unit 13,Persona,Sly Cooper,Mortal Kombat,Street Fighter X Tekken,Virtue Last Reward. More on the way as Muramasa Rebirth Next Month,Ys IV,Dragons Crown and Final Fantasy X later not to mention all PSN games to download.

I have already said many times in many topics why I love Vita. Love both but prefer Vita as I feel it has the most potential.
Last edited by Bluecast on Thu May 02, 2013 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: POLL:Vita vs 3DS

Postby Axm » Wed May 01, 2013 9:06 pm

Vita is the better system hardware wise no doubt about it. And in my opinion, has better games too, but thats just my taste in games. The 3DS probably has a better selection of games to alot of people out there but I am that guy who sometimes values a 10 hour story/graphical experience over 10,000 levels in fun gameplay that has infinite replay value.
Dont get me wrong, I love that too, which is why I like Lumines, Hot Shots and Virtua Tennis but I think the value in a game like Uncharted is that the story is movie like and the gameplay is fun enough to keep me entertained for the duration of the game.
Right now im playing Uncharted GA and loving the fact the gyro's inside the vita can be used to fine tune your aim.
Another smart momment was in a puzzle when you have to hold the vita up to a light bulb in your house to reveal on screen the clue. The rear camera on it and the 3DS alike are very cool when implimented the right way.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Sonikku » Wed May 01, 2013 10:10 pm

I like them both, but the system/games/memory cards are just too cost prohibitive for my taste. Perhaps I'm spoiled by the psp 3k that I got for a Benjamin in addition to the wide range of great games that can be had new for 10 bucks and 8gb memory cards that can be had for 15. But I also like the fact that I can fit it in my pocket. I'm not sure I could do that with a vita. That thing is freaking huge. Maybe I'll get one when we're looking at a Vita 3000 that is 30% smaller and hopefully bundled with larger face buttons. Making a bigger portable with face buttons half as big makes 0 sense to me.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Wed May 01, 2013 10:47 pm

Vita is about the same size as a 3DS XL which isn't all that big IMO but I am used to it. Just a tad thick but I usually take them with me when I take my shoulder bag anyway.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby AnimeGamer183 » Wed May 01, 2013 10:52 pm

I like both but prefer Vita.
AnimeGamer183
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu May 02, 2013 12:52 am

I like both pretty equally. I have yet to play a game other then Gravity Rush that was really good on Vita, but theres tons of stuff that could be done with it, but no one seems to want to put exclusive content on it.

The 3ds is just a software monster, theres tons of stuff thats just great and not a port. Its not the strongest thiing out there but the games are fun to play and aren't held back by trying to be a console game on a handheld device.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Axm » Thu May 02, 2013 3:38 am

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote: I like both pretty equally. I have yet to play a game other then Gravity Rush that was really good on Vita, but theres tons of stuff that could be done with it, but no one seems to want to put exclusive content on it.

The 3ds is just a software monster, theres tons of stuff thats just great and not a port. Its not the strongest thiing out there but the games are fun to play and aren't held back by trying to be a console game on a handheld device.

MMmm im gonna play Devils Advocate aka. Sony's Advocate on this.
I could beg to defer on your thoughts. Firstly I really dont see that many ports on Vita. I can name a few up-ports off the top of my head Persona 4 Golden, Ninja Gaiden Sima Plus, Blaz Blue Continum Shift Extend, Dead or Alive 5+, MGS2/3.
But thats just a fraction of the library. 3DS has a fair amount of ports too.
What I do see alot of on Vita is maybe what we can call spin offs or sequels just like what 3DS does.
Uncharted Golden Abyss: while its basically "just" another uncharted game it's a completely new title with a great canonical story and actually some improvements over U3 which id like to see in U4. They could have easily called the game U4 matched it graphically to PS3 and id have believed it.
Assassins Creed 3: Liberation: Again, it's own story and it's own distinguishing features. Wouldnt call it as good a job as U:GA though.
Little Big Planet Vita: It's own levels and features. You could get close to calling it a port but it's not.
Hot Shots Golf World Invitational: Sure it's just another Hot Shots but ya, it's it's own thing.

I will admit Vita like PSP before it, tends to try and be more console like. Thats why my man J-Tizzie will slap the shit out of you for holding a Game Boy.

In the end if we compare the 3DS games list to the Vita list we find ALOT of "Meh", some "ok" and a fair amount of "good" games with very few real stand out amazing games. Atleast for whats on shelves this moment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_3DS_games

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pl ... Vita_games

But thats just my opinion and assessment.
Personally I think the best games on 3DS for me is Revelations and the new Luigi's Mansion (which ill be picking up soon).
and the best on Vita would be Gravity Rush and Uncharted GA.
Both systems will be out for quite alot more years to come. I bet both systems will offer alot of original content.

Slap that Sony badge on a 3DS though and you know im on that faster then a girl wants that D..
...as in Diamonds
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Thu May 02, 2013 4:08 am

Looking more closely, 3DS has a slight edge in retail but Vita has the edge in download.

3DS retail wise Has Fire Emblem that just came out,Code of Princess,All the major Nintendo First party which sell like crazy,Shinobi,Castlevania.Kingdom hearts,Tales of Abyss,Monster Hunter,Ace Attorney 5 coming up,Project X Zone,Bravely Default,Tekken,Dead or Alive,Sonic Generations.

3DS does have Eshop has has some good original games like Crimson Shroud,Mighty Switch Force and Liberation Maiden and older games but overall is limited.

Vita has Uncharted,Gravity Rush,Wipeout,Ragnorok Odessey,Soul Sacrifice,Sly Cooper,Shinobido 2,AC Liberation and soon Muramasa Rebirth,Dragons Crown and Ys IV.

PSN Vita has the edge. Psone games,PSP gamesTG16 games.

Where vita get's crippled here is the memory card so you can download games. Prices are so high. 3DS can easily swap to a bigger SD card. 4GB is plenty for 3DS but I upgraded to 8GB which is overkill. Vita I have 8GB but I have to keep watching what I download as files are large so data gets eaten quick.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu May 02, 2013 4:21 am

Uncharted Golden Abyss is one of the worst games I've played on the Vita. Its terrible, half the time the ui doesn't work, it forces the features of the console really badly and the story makes no sense. Thats on top of taking all of the bad things from Uncharted's design (like bad ai, tractor beam platforming and bullet sponging)

If you ever try to sell me on a game that bad ever again I will sexually assault you, with a stick...or something.

Ryudo wrote:Looking more closely, 3DS has a slight edge in retail but Vita has the edge in download.

completely agree, and not just because of my own work. PSN has a lot of shit on it. Cross-buy, Playstation mobile (the kind that has stuff like magical planet snack) and tons of good indie shit like Hotline miami, splunky and super crate box.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Bluecast » Thu May 02, 2013 4:45 am

I'm actually a little confused why Vita did not have more support retail wise. I thought Sony made it where Vita is cheaper to develop for than PSP was. With a powerful system and inexpensive to develop for then what is the hold up?

Politics?
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Re: POLL: Vita vs 3DS

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Thu May 02, 2013 5:08 am

Most of the people I know were able to get their PS3 engines to work on the vita after only a day (For that matter I've had the same experience with WiiU)

I think part of it is AAA developers get away with paying themselves ungodly amounts of money by saying "The cost of development is rising". So if a company says they can make that cheaper and easier they freak out a bit. Other times they don't actually want to put resources on something if they don't think it will do well.

Its kind of a knee jerk thing, its like saying "hey theres a recession" then firing half your employees, you've just made the recession worse. A lot of studios don't want to risk putting content on a platform that might fail, but don't realize if they don't put content on that platform it WILL fail.

that and a lot of publishers seriously do a really shitty job of running things these days.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received 3 thanks from: Bluecast, ShenmueTree, Sonikku
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu May 02, 2013 7:29 am

I bought a 3DS shortly after launch (woooo, I'm an ambassador) and have pretty much regretted it ever since. Apart from Super Mario 3D Land there have been no must-have titles (for my own tastes; obviously others have been luckier), so I wish I'd held off until Ace Attorney 5 came out, when I could have bought an XL.

This isn't to say I'd rather have a Vita. There's literally nothing tempting me towards that.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby south carmain » Thu May 02, 2013 7:48 am

I used to have 3DS and was really disappointed with it, especially nintendos disregard for the European market and making it region blocked. my vita is currently gathering dust though but I still love the thing much more than I ever did with the 3DS and will get round to investing in to some games for it once I finish my current backlog
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Axm » Thu May 02, 2013 1:10 pm

Segata Sanshiro Jr. wrote:Uncharted Golden Abyss is one of the worst games I've played on the Vita. Its terrible, half the time the ui doesn't work, it forces the features of the console really badly and the story makes no sense. Thats on top of taking all of the bad things from Uncharted's design (like bad ai, tractor beam platforming and bullet sponging)

Hah! I didnt find it that bad at all. I see faults in the UI and platforming on occation but I cant call it a bad game for its weaker points compared to its stronger ones. Graphicly its impressive for being on a handheld, gameplay to me is fun especially in aiming, and I did like the story but thats also because I liked other Uncharted games too. Something tells me thats not the case for you.
And I get it, dont get me wrong. Different strokes for different hoes.
And no offense but I can tell you have abit of a jaded attitude towards games sometimes in how critical you are. And I get that because you're in the industry, you're seeing things from a inside-out perspective as opposed to us consumers looking outside-in.
I remember working in QA for about 6 months in between jobs a few years back. It really made me pessemistic about everything I played and it killed my enjoyment in games I would otherwise have liked.
Now im not saying thats you to the T but I can see you're obviously someone who analyzes games more then the average gamer, focusing on flaws and shunning those who dont see it the way you do because of your perspective.
Or maybe you just dont like certain genre's at all. You didnt like the new Tomb Raider either, which is contrary to everyone elses opinion of it being great.
Me think thou doth protest too much.
Last edited by Axm on Thu May 02, 2013 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Thu May 02, 2013 1:19 pm

Looking at the poll seems everyone on the planet who bought a vita is in this forum. :lol:
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Next

Return to General Gaming