Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Postby Giorgio » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:54 am

Fun facts:

Did you know there was a Shenmue VMU game? - There is a short description about it here: http://sega.jp/dc/990804/ Shenmue DLC!

Did you know that Joy's motorcycle is a Honda Black Bird? [Source: http://web.archive.org/web/200101280104 ... /n21b.html]

ImageImage

Giorgio has received a thanks from: Supa
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby BlueMue » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:53 pm

The "mini game" is just what you can do with the passport disc. Use your winning cans to unlock and save little animations on your VMU. Can be done in all the versions of the game and it's all on the disc. You can easily copy these files from the VMU tool / Dream Explorer Disc. They are among all the other saves on the disc.

There are older Honda CBR models that still look pretty much identical to the bike in the game.
I'd say that it's supposed to be a "Hurricane" since that one actually came out in 1987.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Giorgio » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

SHENMUE MEMORIES Tribute Music Video [1080p60] - Dreamcasters' Tube

phpBB [video]
Last edited by Giorgio on Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Fenix » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:39 am

Didn't know the model of Joy's motorcycle. Thanks!

By the way. Did you know that Alpha trading office's boss knows the chawan sign??

Fenix has received 3 thanks from: BlueMue, Giorgio, Supa
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby BlueMue » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:19 am

I never noticed that there are cups arranged that way. That's are really neat little detail.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Giorgio » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:45 pm

A peeing dog.

Video:
phpBB [video]

Giorgio has received 2 thanks from: _StreetSonic_, johnvivant
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Ziming » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:10 pm

Retroware TV review of Shenmue by Joe Redifer (Co-host of Game Sack)

http://retrowaretv.com/shenmue-review-f ... dreamcast/

Ziming has received a thanks from: Axm
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Ceej » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:32 am

On my playthrough I started 2 days ago, I talked to Fuku-San again after you tell him that you'll have your revenge, and I got a journal entry that says "I can't involve Fuku-San in this." After 15 years of playing this game...I never once got that journal entry.
Ceej
Master of the Three Blades

Postby ShenGCH » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:22 am

Ceej wrote: On my playthrough I started 2 days ago, I talked to Fuku-San again after you tell him that you'll have your revenge, and I got a journal entry that says "I can't involve Fuku-San in this." After 15 years of playing this game...I never once got that journal entry.

I would always talk to Fuku-san after that cutscene, so I've never known a playthrough without that journal entry. Interesting :).

xx
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Ceej » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:52 am

ShenGCH wrote:
Ceej wrote: On my playthrough I started 2 days ago, I talked to Fuku-San again after you tell him that you'll have your revenge, and I got a journal entry that says "I can't involve Fuku-San in this." After 15 years of playing this game...I never once got that journal entry.

I would always talk to Fuku-san after that cutscene, so I've never known a playthrough without that journal entry. Interesting :).

xx

It's interesting because I don't know about you, but I've formed so many habits when playing this game that are hard to break. I'm finding a lot of enjoyment in deliberately doing the opposite of what I would normally do on this playthrough.

Leading off of that, when you guys play through the game...if you have to find let's say..the Tattoo Parlor..do you ask people for directions on where it might be? Or do you go straight there? I had gotten in the habit of just going straight to where I need to go since I know the game by heart, but I'm finding a lot of enjoyment (and challenge!) in asking around again as if I didn't know where I needed to go.
Ceej

Postby ShenGCH » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:47 pm

Ceej wrote:
ShenGCH wrote:

xx

It's interesting because I don't know about you, but I've formed so many habits when playing this game that are hard to break. I'm finding a lot of enjoyment in deliberately doing the opposite of what I would normally do on this playthrough.

Leading off of that, when you guys play through the game...if you have to find let's say..the Tattoo Parlor..do you ask people for directions on where it might be? Or do you go straight there? I had gotten in the habit of just going straight to where I need to go since I know the game by heart, but I'm finding a lot of enjoyment (and challenge!) in asking around again as if I didn't know where I needed to go.

100% with you there on the unbreakable habits, dude. Sure, I've tried doing things slightly differently every few or so playthroughs, but it just doesn't feel right. I know exactly where I have to go, and what I have to do next, so I just venture down my usual path. Never seems to get boring, though, which is yet another thing I find so magical about the game :).

Using your example of finding the tattoo parlour, my exact train of progression is thus:

1. Beat up the sailors in the parking lot and find out there's a tattoo parlour in Dobuita
2. Head to the You Arcade and talk to the bikers at the tabletop game
3. Tell the bikers I'd like to join their gang, leading to them telling me that the tattoo parlour is in Okayama Heights
4. Talk to Honey-san at the hotdog truck to find out where Okayama Heights is located
5. DONE!

That's what I've been doing since the first time I played the game, and I can't recall ever breaking it since. Funny thing is, I've watched multiple playthroughs of Shenmue on YouTube, and I've seen maybe one person ask the bikers but not proceed to ask Honey-san afterwards, and vice versa.

There's a million different ways to approach many of the situations in Shenmue, but we all have our trusty ol' routes :).

xx
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Ziming » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:06 pm

UnBoxing - Shenmue (Ryo Hazuki) Jacket - Adam Koralik

phpBB [video]
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby BlueMue » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:54 am

Are you hungly?

ORANGE

BlueMue has received 3 thanks from: Giorgio, johnvivant, Supa
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Ziming » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:36 pm

Xiuying art I've never seen before.

Ziming has received 8 thanks from: _StreetSonic_, Axm, BlueMue, Fenix, Flatlandaniel, johnvivant, KX-5, Supa
Ziming
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue