Random Shenmue Thoughts

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Postby ShenGCH » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:11 pm

Giorgio wrote: There is a possibility some wrong synapses are activated in my memory (therefore read the following with scepticism), but I remember that in one of my Shenmue I playthroughs, Nozomi is also present in the house (when she brought the flowers). She leaves as Ryo enters the house (they're saying "hi", but I don't remember if she mentioned the flowers), then Ryo goes to the altar room, and then Ine-san from the back is telling Ryo that Nozomi is such a nice girl.

What I've not seen on a video yet, is Fuku-san at Yokosuka Bar close to Akemi-san. I've encountered this (I believe so) in my very first playthrough (going way old back).
----

The following Christmas-themed video about Shenmue is very cheerful (and hilarious)!
phpBB [video]

My god, that video is cheerful as fuck :D!

The whole false memories thing with Shenmue is present with myself, too, dude. I even made a topic about it some months ago (http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48463). There are a few other games I played with false memories tied to them, but Shenmue sticks out in my mind the most because of how invested in the game I am, I believe.

:rockit: ...and a Shenmue III at E3... :rockit:
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Yokosuka » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:20 am

ShenGCH wrote: I even made a topic about it some months ago (http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48463).

I miss Kobe...

The 12 days video is hilarious, and the guy sings well. Love it. :lol:
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Giorgio » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:18 pm

The Shenmue series is an interactive lifelike experience, and not a game (or an interactive movie/cinema).

When it uses (think-based) game-play systems, it does so to amplify the impact on the player. However, it allows time for events to build up, leading to anticipation, going up to a climax and end up with a catharsis.

Players trying to find in its core/essence a game (patterns of challenges to figure out and beat) they will be disappointed and/or even hate it. One needs to empty their bias/expectations and let themselves soak in its spiritual side. Find grace in its messages, culture, atmosphere, characters, story, life, emotions, realism, and all the elements that are more than the short-term appeal of adrenaline bursts and/or soul/heart-less puzzles.

Giorgio has received 2 thanks from: johnvivant, VukBZ2005
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby johnvivant » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:50 pm

i hope in the future shenmue games we get to see Ryo perform his legendary 'flip on the horizontal bar'.
i bet Ryo is actually a really good gymnast.

when the main saga is finished i would really love for Suzuki to make an official shenmue 0. would be interesting to have Ryo go to school, train for martial arts tournaments, gain wisdom from iwao's teaching and training etc.

ideally it would mainly take place from ages 16-18 (with maybe very brief flashbacks to earlier times, like the earliest memories of his mother - btw does ryo have any memories of his mother or was he too young when she died? .

maybe it could even end directly at the beginning of the first game. would be pretty cool imo.

we would get to go back to yokosuka and experience it in the new shenmue 3 engine, with access to new areas and shops. we would get to see younger versions of Ryo's friends, like Nozomi, Ichiro, Naoyuki, Tom. maybe find out how they became friends ect. first meet Fukusan when he becomes Iwao's student. a nice little origins story.
johnvivant
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby ShenGCH » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:35 pm

johnvivant wrote: i hope in the future shenmue games we get to see Ryo perform his legendary 'flip on the horizontal bar'.
i bet Ryo is actually a really good gymnast.

Don't worry - if we don't see it in Shenmue III, someone will make a Gmod .gif of it for sure, so he'll be flipping for eternity :D

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: johnvivant
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Ziming » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:58 pm

I'm currently working on the Guilin music compilation video. Aiming to get it done by the end of the month.

Ziming has received 7 thanks from: Giorgio, Kiske, Miles Prower, Mr357, SheepheadCG, ShenGCH, ShenSun
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Giorgio » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:29 pm

Giorgio has received 5 thanks from: johnvivant, Kiske, ShenGCH, Sonoshee, Yokosuka
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Ziming » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:20 pm

phpBB [video]

Ziming has received 3 thanks from: johnvivant, Mr357, The_Intruder
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Mr357 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:33 pm

You can hate on the English voice acting of Shenmue II (or I) all you want, but there's no denying that that version of Delin is superior. I'd never played the original Dreamcast version until recently, and was surprised by how dull and depressing Japanese Delin is. Even his grunts suck in comparison.

Mr357 has received a thanks from: GYO6161
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby reptile » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:22 am

I just played Yakuza 1, 2 and 4 at my friends and in my opinion IT IS NOT like Shenmue! It's an OKAY
videogame overall. What a bunch of noobers claiming that it's a spiritual successor. Such violent pound-to-pound combat that isin't even representative of what Shenmue's FREE Battles were. Kazuma cannot even control his moves and everything is bat shit crazy.

What! So after all this time, it's just an asian guy that beats up people and is set in Japan so somehow people believe it's a spiritual successor. I do not care about Yakuza story and find the game to have appeal for people without patience.I know that professional game reviewers claim it is spiritual successor to Shenmue but NO, WRONG.

reptile has received a thanks from: GYO6161
reptile
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Giorgio » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:30 pm

The content of the following video is not inspired by Shenmue. Not at all.

phpBB [video]

Giorgio has received 3 thanks from: Amir, Mr357, ShenGCH
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby GYO6161 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:13 pm

Mr357 wrote: You can hate on the English voice acting of Shenmue II (or I) all you want, but there's no denying that that version of Delin is superior. I'd never played the original Dreamcast version until recently, and was surprised by how dull and depressing Japanese Delin is. Even his grunts suck in comparison.

Shenmue dubs have so much charm.... it really makes me happy shen 3 is getting dubbed. a sub only s3 would have sucked imo.

GYO6161 has received a thanks from: Mr357
GYO6161
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: God of War

Postby Peter » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:06 am

MIGGI MIGGI MIGGI MIGGI
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby ShenGCH » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:33 pm

GYO6161 wrote:
Mr357 wrote: You can hate on the English voice acting of Shenmue II (or I) all you want, but there's no denying that that version of Delin is superior. I'd never played the original Dreamcast version until recently, and was surprised by how dull and depressing Japanese Delin is. Even his grunts suck in comparison.

Shenmue dubs have so much charm.... it really makes me happy shen 3 is getting dubbed. a sub only s3 would have sucked imo.

Well, I don't think it would be a case of sucking simply because it lacked an English dub - many of us played Shenmue II that way and it was fine - but having English voice acting is definitely a nice consideration, as bad (though mega charming) as it may be.

It really makes me wonder how good the voice acting in Shenmue III will be, especially now that video games have evolved astronomically since the early 2000s and good voice-over talent isn't so few-and-far between nowadays. Add the fact that the direction might not be so robotic and emotionless as it was back then and we might be pleasantly surprised. Heck, Shenmue III might even give the most unknown voice actors their big break.

ShenGCH has received a thanks from: GYO6161
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby SMDzero » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:42 am

Why doesn't Ryo, Ine San and Ine-San exchange presents on Christmas morning???

I assumed it was a lean year at the Hazuki residence with the loss of their only dojo instructor and they couldn't afford such nice things as presents. In-San can't afford to even provide food for Ryo... the family never sat down for a meal either.

Why is the Hazuki family so poor? Ryo has to sleep in his only pair of jeans because his poor ass can't even afford pajamas! Whatever Iwao was pulling down with his dojo teaching (probably only 2.5 million yen per year) he really left the family in dire financial straights when he died.
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue