And this

Ryoeh
Banned
Banned

Re: Random Shenmue Thoughts

Postby Mr357 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:58 pm

Ryoeh wrote: If Shenmue 3 is to succeed it must remove all bullshit like this

And this

You've clearly missed the point of the entire series. The Shenmue games are about Ryo's transition to manhood, and his growth as a martial artist. Things like the forklift job and crate and book carrying are there to teach the player (and Ryo) about patience and discipline. I'd bet you had a lot of trouble catching the leaves at Man Mo Temple.

Mr357 has received a thanks from: RenDur89
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Ryoeh » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:07 pm

About the leaves part, no I didin't struggle, I did it second try. My point it that the game is not going to be fun. I understand how Shenmue is supposed to be like but I'd rather it be more like a video game that can get mainstream appeal. It should be fun to play for crying out loud else it will really get hit hard by other games that release at the same period. Then we will look stupid
Ryoeh
Banned
Banned

Postby Zoltor » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:47 pm

Ryoeh wrote: About the leaves part, no I didin't struggle, I did it second try. My point it that the game is not going to be fun. I understand how Shenmue is supposed to be like but I'd rather it be more like a video game that can get mainstream appeal. It should be fun to play for crying out loud else it will really get hit hard by other games that release at the same period. Then we will look stupid

Yea you sort of missed the point of the series, and what makes it so fun, as well as engrossing. If you want a game that treats its world like a playground, instead of a real, breathing world, the Shenmue games aren't for you or anyone with that mindset.

I can assure you, when me, and many people play/replay the games, we are never dreading sections like the forklift job, and book carrying, infact they are rather fun in their own rights.

All the things Ryo has to go through also translates to the player, which is a huge factor in why the Shenmue games leave such a lasting impression.

Zoltor has received a thanks from: RenDur89
Zoltor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby BlueMue » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:01 pm

I've been listening through Shenmue music quite a bit today and when I came across the cassette tapes of Outrun and Afterburner they raised a question. Were there really tapes with game music back in 1986?

I did some research and the surprising answer is yes. There were very few of these at the time but I found one perfect match for Shenmue!

http://vgmdb.net/album/3821

This came out on December 21, 1986. Given that this is only 18 days after the start of the game, it's absolutely plausible that the Tomato Mart has this as a prize. I think they missed a chance here to put the actual historically correct tape there. Imagine you went to the store on that very day and they have this brand new cassette tape from Sega on display. But it probably wasn't meant to happen because of licensing bullshit.

There is another one for After Burner, wich matches Shenmue aswell, but that didn't come out until October 1987.
http://vgmdb.net/album/3826

BlueMue has received 2 thanks from: Mr357, Rakim
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:06 am

Yokosuka has received 3 thanks from: KiBa, Mr357, Sappharad
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Mr357 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:00 pm

Notable alumni: Ryo Hazuki

Are you responsible for this?
Mr357
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Sappharad » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:42 pm

Mr357 wrote:

According to Wikipedia's history for the page, the change was made by an anonymous user with IP address 100.2.129.45 (ISP is Verizon) on June 22nd 2013.

This is amusing, but it's actually a valid edit for Wikipedia since it's fair to cite fictional uses of things when they're notable. It should probably cite a reference and Shenmue should be a hyperlink to the Shenmue article though.

Sappharad has received 2 thanks from: Mr357, Yokosuka
Sappharad
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Peter » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:42 am

Just a post to ask, if anyone has any free time and would like to help, I am working on a Shenmue project at the moment and am looking for someone to help, in particular with writing.

If you feel you can type up Shenmue material then by all means, message me.
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby ShenGCH » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:19 pm

Murry Curry from Lucky Hit Series noticing a not-often-cited example of attention to detail in Shenmue:

phpBB [video]

Did anyone else pick up on this before?
ShenGCH
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby KiBa » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:33 am

Sappharad wrote:
Mr357 wrote:

According to Wikipedia's history for the page, the change was made by an anonymous user with IP address 100.2.129.45 (ISP is Verizon) on June 22nd 2013.

This is amusing, but it's actually a valid edit for Wikipedia since it's fair to cite fictional uses of things when they're notable. It should probably cite a reference and Shenmue should be a hyperlink to the Shenmue article though.

I'll take credit for this.
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby Yokosuka » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:17 am

Giant Bomb is doing an endurance run :
http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/enduran ... 300-11534/

Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ys » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:41 pm

I saw this a few hours ago and was a bit surprised that Giantbomb did this. I thought of creating a thread in the Shenmue forum but checked in case someone else mentioned it.

What did you think of it? It seemed to be fair since they had a guy there who liked the game, one who never played it and one who found it boring. It was interesting that the "non-fans" said that they were impressed a few times. Considering when the game was released etc. One thing though, it would be better if they knew how to zoom in on objects :p
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Radar » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:57 am

Yokosuka wrote: Giant Bomb is doing an endurance run :
http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/enduran ... 300-11534/

Not bad.There's some completely unnecessary stretched jokes I think, but they are actually paying attention to story.
much better than this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kddnHdm-H0
Radar
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Yokosuka » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:36 am

I watched the first half and found it funny. I like the way they're taking naturally Shenmue as it is.

Meanwhile, Digital Foundry has confirmed in their last retro video (Ridge Racer 5) that the Shenmue 2 analysis will come soon.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue