FF VS FF The one series no one can ever agree on

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Postby Bluecast » Sat May 11, 2013 10:36 pm

Final Fantasy Vs Final Fantasy.

Wha?

The internet loves this series,hates this series,hates to love the series and loves to hate the series.
Mainly they gripe that after Enix took over or after a certain number in the series (often 7 and 10) they no longer like the series.
So how do you feel on the series? We know XIII and Vaan drive many debates. The question is. Do you still enjoy the series. Do you still love it as when you first played the series? Has the series lost it's muster for you? Hate it? Depends?

This is really the main series but if you feel a side series with the FF name you wish to talk about that's cool as well.

=========================================================================================

I think for me it just flat out depends. I love the older games except III(don't hate it just kinda meh to me) and VII does not do much for me. Not big on X either.
VI,IX,XII are the ones I enjoy most. I am just a general RPG fan and other than Ys series. Brand name does not always sell me. I just love a great RPG for the most part. Final Fantasy XIII series does not appeal to me at all. I don't coutn Vs as that looks awesome and it's own beast if we ever get it. I mean the released games.I am not going to debate grr it sucks because what\s his name left or what's his name does the series now. Nah.

Anyone divided on the series? Which people would stop complaining? Still love it? Let's hear it.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Re: FF VS FF The one series no one can ever agree on

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sat May 11, 2013 10:54 pm

Square-Enix in its current state has no idea how to make a game, much less a good one. So I don't things are looking good for this series. It'd be great if they could rediscover what makes the series great but it faces problems that gaming in general faces right now.
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Yama » Sat May 11, 2013 11:21 pm

It's current state is to RPG's what current Biohazard is to Survival Horror. A shadow of its former self.

Yama has received a thanks from: ys
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Axm » Sat May 11, 2013 11:32 pm

The problem they face is that in Japan its such a mainstream series and square-enix's traditional cash cow next to DQ. So as any huge company would, they want to keep it as mainstream as possible and even expand the fan base. Doing that means not alienating any age group or gender. Which is why I think FFXIII was so linear and story driven. And while XIII-2 was a great improvement it stayed along those lines. And while you can make an arguement that XIV wasnt mainstream for being an MMO, it was ment as a cash cow aswell. So in the end I think the problem is SQE is just too big of a company for its own good anymore.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Sat May 11, 2013 11:40 pm

But how do you guys personally feel while playing it? Do you still feel OH A NEW FF! Or have you moved on? Anyone still buy every game or written it off. Or just play a wait and see each time
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Radar » Sat May 11, 2013 11:43 pm

I played only FFX, FFXII, and now playing FF I (PS origins)
Radar
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby Thief » Sat May 11, 2013 11:45 pm

For some reason I thought this was going to be Final Fight vs Fatal Fury.

Thief has received a thanks from: Axm
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Bluecast » Sat May 11, 2013 11:53 pm

Radar wrote: I played only FFX, FFXII, and now playing FF I (PS origins)

FFXII is one of the best in the series. Only "bad" character is Vaan. I still maintain it can technically be the very best the in the series in 3D. I believe VI is the best I played in all the series. Only not played V.

FFX shares many of the same problems XIII has. I will agree I enjoy the soundtrack to X more but XII was not terrible. It may not have had the catchy tunes,used great dramatic epic scores that fit the game very well.

Balt is the best character in the series. Flat out. I feel XII was to PS2 what VI is to SNES.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

Postby Segata Sanshiro Jr. » Sat May 11, 2013 11:57 pm

Ryudo wrote: But how do you guys personally feel while playing it? Do you still feel OH A NEW FF! Or have you moved on? Anyone still buy every game or written it off. Or just play a wait and see each time

I stopped being excited during FFX. I just didn't enjoy playing it, I beat it in one weekend and the only reason I did was because all my friends were talking about it. Every game before that I was really in to. 12 came out, i played up till you get Basch and lost my patience for a few years(the first time I ever did that with the series). Then I sat down and played it and ignored some of less interesting aspects of the story and fell in love with it. Played the Zodiac version a bunch of times but it'll always feel like a game thats half good, half terrible. So then 13 came out. I like most people was hyped, played it, was kind of disappointed. After beating it, I tried a bunch of times to play it again, and I just hate it. Hoped 13-2 would make things better, but instead it managed to make the formula worse by completely missing the things that were broken.

so, I feel like the old games are great, but i feel like the new games are shit.

Radar wrote:I played only FFX, FFXII, and now playing FF I (PS origins)

I personally like 12 alot.

Segata Sanshiro Jr. has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Segata Sanshiro Jr.
Mannytaro
Shenmue III

PSN: Wildfire21
XBL: Wildfire Green
Currently playing: Rent A Hero

Postby Thief » Sun May 12, 2013 12:09 am

Honestly I love Final Fantasy. With the exception of Final Fantasy III (which I think blows monkey chunks), I think 13 is the only "bad" one, and even then I can't really comment too much on it other than that it bored me so much that I didn't even bother to finish it. I think the soundtrack is really nice though :)

I have faith for the future of the series, I mean, 12 was fantastic. Maybe they just took a little misstep :P
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Sonikku » Sun May 12, 2013 12:26 am

I was squares bitch in the PSone days. I had every FF for it save 3, which is the only I have yet to play or own. Maybe I'll track it down on the DS at somepoint. After I completed ten however, I just kinda lost my enthusiasm for the series. I still bought X2, 12 and 13. But I'm not more than a few hours into them before I lose interest. I'm currently almost finished with beating FF1 on the PSP. It's pretty bad when an oldschool game as archaic as this holds my interest better.
Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby silent killer » Sun May 12, 2013 12:57 am

I've only ever played the FFIV rerelease on the DS. And I only played it for about fifteen minutes. So I'll go with that.
silent killer
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

XBL: arcane devices
Currently playing: Cross Code

Postby Bambi » Sun May 12, 2013 7:29 pm

Yama wrote:A shadow of its former self.

Like Kenneth from the STARS Bravo Team?

Bambi has received 2 thanks from: OL, Yama
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Postby ys » Sun May 12, 2013 8:23 pm

For some reason I never really got into the series. I played VII and XII but they never blew me away. I don't know why.
ys
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

Postby south carmain » Sun May 12, 2013 8:57 pm

I enjoyed FF13-2 but it felt shallow, as if I wasn't playing an FF game but rather something made by a studio unknown in the west.

my favourite remains FF8 though, I just love the world it's set in and despite what people say I really enjoy the story especially that it's military themed. the soundtrack is top tier also.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Next

Return to General Gaming