New Yu Suzuki Interview from MAGS Conferance

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

New Yu Suzuki Interview from MAGS Conferance

Postby Ziming » Wed May 15, 2013 9:02 pm

New Yu Suzuki Interview with English Translated Captions. Press the "CC" option in the video to view English subtitles.

6:34 - Yu Suzuki is asked about Shenmue 3.

Question: If he was still in discussion with Sega about Shenmue III.

Yu Suzuki: No, I do not talk about Shenmue III with Sega now.

(Hesitates) I can not talk too much.

phpBB [video]

Ziming has received 4 thanks from: Axm, Giorgio, Schiff, ShenSun
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Re: New Yu Suzuki Interview from MAGS Conferance

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Wed May 15, 2013 11:06 pm

Interesting, but all these "I can't talk too much" "maybe" cryptic stuff is getting stale. A decade of decision making? Oy vey.

Yokosuka Martian has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Bluecast » Wed May 15, 2013 11:20 pm

I don't know what it's like to be in his position. He loves the series as it's his baby but also saddened it's dead and must hurt a little every time someone asks about Shenmue. I wonder if at some point with Shenmue he will be will be like he is now with Sword of Vermillion. He won't even talk about it and says an interviewee to not ask about it. Shame. While it is frustrating as fans hearing him say the same vague answers. Must be harder on his end. I kinda feel bad for him.
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Wed May 15, 2013 11:23 pm

What was the story behind sword of vermilion?
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby Axm » Wed May 15, 2013 11:33 pm

Thanks as always Zim.
Seems like we'll be on this marry-go-round for another decade at this pace.

As blasphemous as this sounds.. im begining to think the only way to get Shenmue 3 at this point is by leaving Suzuki out of the picture. Have him be an advisor at the most at this point. I dont know, im just not convinced he's in the loop about anything the way he talks about it. And I dont think Sega trusts Suzuki and his dev team to handle such a huge franchise with the risk of developing a bomb.
I have a feeling Sega is just trying to let Shenmue die off as much as possible so they can cash in on a complete remake in ~2020. By then nobody will be asking for 3. We'll only want complete remakes of 1&2 followed eventually by 3.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby ShenSun » Thu May 16, 2013 4:05 am

Wow, if noone is willing to help Suzuki publish his small animal fighting game, what chance does Shenmue have?

Sega really ruined this guy.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby elfshadowreaper » Thu May 16, 2013 9:26 am

His hesitation at the end gives me hope but just a little. The whole "I do not talk about Shenmue III with Sega now" pretty much sums it up I guess. Sega's dead to me.
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Wanderin' » Thu May 16, 2013 1:55 pm

To be a Shenmue fan, that was *incredibly* soul crushing - especially more so than all the other soul-crushing crap that we often see and hear about as Shenmue fans precisely because the comment and the *way* in which the comment was offered was taken directly from Suzuki's mouth himself.

You don't have to tell me how ineffective fan movements are, but it very nearly almost makes you truly believe that if we really do want to see a legitimate (and franchise concluding) Shenmue 3 in our lifetimes (and while we're still *relatively* young and while Suzuki is still capable enough to be involved in development of such a game) that the onus very truly and really does fall upon our hands as Suzuki's and the IP's fans.

How will we as fans ever collectively obtain the necessary and appropiate ability to forcibly change the fate of Shenmue - and for the better? That is the question, unfortunately.
Wanderin'
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby The_Intruder » Thu May 16, 2013 4:20 pm

I think the only way we are going to see Shenmue III is if anyone of us wins the lottery and hire Yu Suzuki and buy the rights of Shenmue. I'm really sad that Shenmue III may never happen.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Henry Spencer » Thu May 16, 2013 7:03 pm

Such backpeddling on Suzuki's part. He really shouldn't have opened his mouth in confidence when he was obviously assuming far too much. Seems to me like he has burnt all bridges with SEGA now.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Rakim » Thu May 16, 2013 8:06 pm

The English translation of that line seems a little shitty to me. The 「今セガと話してないですよ」 bit. They wrote "...do not..." when I feel that the proper English representation of that sentence should be "I am not talking with Sega right now."

The former making it seem like they're a boyfriend and girlfriend who broke up, while the latter has more of a connotation just that nothings going on for them to talk about IMO. Just a critique of the nuance.

Also when he's fumbling to find the right words it sounds like he's initially going to say that he's not talking with them yet.

It sounds to me like he still has hope or at least wants to, but just can't find a way to get it done.

Rakim has received 3 thanks from: Axm, Giorgio, nskachu
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri May 17, 2013 4:54 am

How are closed captions on YouTube generated? Is it machine translation, or supplied by the uploader?

Given all the other instances of Yu being misquoted at MAGS, I think it's worth exploring Rakim's point and getting a consensus on the correct translation of Suzuki's comments instead of relying on what's been supplied on YouTube.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Giorgio
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby japalp » Fri May 17, 2013 9:51 am

So is this the infamous Kenji interview we have been waiting months for?
japalp
Dojo Actuary
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Currently playing: Breath of the Wild

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Fri May 17, 2013 11:31 am

Kenji's interview was entirely Shenmue focused, so this one must be unrelated.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: truant

Postby Axm » Fri May 17, 2013 12:26 pm

Rakim wrote:The English translation of that line seems a little shitty to me. The 「今セガと話してないですよ」 bit. They wrote "...do not..." when I feel that the proper English representation of that sentence should be "I am not talking with Sega right now."

The former making it seem like they're a boyfriend and girlfriend who broke up, while the latter has more of a connotation just that nothings going on for them to talk about IMO. Just a critique of the nuance.

Also when he's fumbling to find the right words it sounds like he's initially going to say that he's not talking with them yet.

It sounds to me like he still has hope or at least wants to, but just can't find a way to get it done.

I agree, he's really just pointing out the fact that theirs no conversation taking place more like "theirs no conversation taking place" rather than a more harsh "we dont talk or do not talk" as if theirs a sour relationship as you described. Good catch Rakim. I would have never picked up on that without paying attention. It is a small thing but that implies so much on the relationship between Suzuki and Sega.

In the end though I think things are still the way I said in my previous post though. Sega just doesnt seem to want to engage in Shenmue anymore. As if they want it to die out completely so they can build it up with remakes..hopefully.

Axm has received a thanks from: Rakim
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Next

Return to Shenmue III