Kotonoha no Niwa [The Garden of Words] by Makoto Shinkai

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Kotonoha no Niwa [The Garden of Words] by Makoto Shinkai

Postby AM2 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:09 pm

It's the latest work from Makoto Shinkai(5cm Per Second, Voices of a Distant Star, The Place Promised in Our Early Days), an animator/director known for his extreme attention to detail and beautifully rendered, realistically lit backgrounds. He has a talent for making the mundane look beautiful. But don't just take my word for it, look at these images from the film:
Shinkai wrote on his website that this is the first time he is making a "love" story. He added that there were words long before there were characters to write them in this world. The Japanese language during the era when it had no written form is known as "Yamato kotoba." The language during this time had its own pronunciations, before the importation of kanji characters from China.

At the time, "love" was written as "lonely sadness" (koi). Moreover, according to Shinkai, the modern concept of "love" (ai) was imported from the West. While his new Kotonoha no Niwa film is set in the modern era, it will be about "koi" in the original "lonely sadness" meaning — of longing for someone in solitude, as opposed to the modern meaning.

And just as a story, it's probably Shinkai's best film. I appreciated that, rather than being a typical love story, it's much more about the psychological condition of the characters, how they think others view them, and how others actually do view them. And Shinkai is at his best as a visual filmmaker here; it's pleasing to see him move beyond just his typical visual metaphors and make skillful use of editing and montage as well.

Trailer:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udDIkl6z8X0

AM2 has received a thanks from: OL
AM2
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Life

Re: Kotonoha no Niwa [The Garden of Words] by Makoto Shinkai

Postby OL » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:38 am

Absolutely beautiful. I've only seen 5 Centimeters Per Second from him, but that was enough to tell me just how talented Shinkai is. I loved that film/OVA so much.
The man's a legitimate artist.
I'll snatch this up immediately if it ever gets released domestically.

OL has received a thanks from: AM2
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby AM2 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:10 am

Indeed, absolutely beautiful is the only way we could describe this :D , 5 Centimeters Per Second was also a masterpiece in it's own way but because of it's ending left a lot of people dissapointed. I loved and hated that ending at the same time... :)
The Garden of Words blu-ray is up for release on the 21st of this month :D [cdjapan]http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=TBR-23169D
AM2
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Life

Postby ShenmueTree » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:09 pm

BTW, The Garden of Words bluray has official English subtitles. It's a beautiful (in terms of artwork) and short movie.
I don't know what to make of it though. 15 year old and 27 year old, I don't know if it was supposed to be romantic or not but it felt like yes. Weirded me out a little.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby OL » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:04 pm

Oh wow, English subs on the Japanese release?
I'm tempted as hell by it. Just wish I had a bit more in the way of disposable funds at the moment. I'd be all over it.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Return to Off Topic