Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Re: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Postby Kenny » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:58 am

I preordered this bitch.

Getting it Sep. 1st and playing the absolute shit out of it. Yeah, pretty shitty Konami is getting my money but it'll be for the last time until they make nice with Kojima again (nearly impossible).
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby redline » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:26 am

/\ im looking at pre ordering it but their is no good deals at the moment, so i'll probably have to get it in the morning of launch.
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:42 pm

OL wrote:
Riku Rose wrote: I'm quite amazed that series is still held in such high regard since people are so up and down on it.

A bit like Final Fantasy in that regard, I guess.

With Final Fantasy every game in the series is it's own thing. I was amazed everyone got excited for MGSV since the reception 2 months after MGSIV was quite cold, most really hated the story which is what most seem to play the series for.

I'm excited for the game I'm just amazed that people are still so excited since the gaming community is so keen to write a series off.

Anyway just ordered my copy, now to just finish the last few missions of Rising and Ground Zeros (Really thought that'd throw that in even as a free download).
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Kenny » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:38 am

Well, MGS2 received alot of flack on the story being too much on the weird side with it's meta narrative and commentary on...genes and stuff.

The result was MGS3. Something more streamlined and ultimately more enjoyable, I think. Even if the story is lackluster again, the gameplay looks AMAZING so I can't wait either way.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby south carmain » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:44 am

This pretty much sums up how I remember MGS4's story.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kNrIn8H32c
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby redline » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:11 am

south carmain wrote: This pretty much sums up how I remember MGS4's story.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kNrIn8H32c

/\ lol

mabe its because im a big metal gear fan but i thought mgs4 was epic.

ive got ground zeroes & my only problem with the new metal gear is that i would much rather a "on the rails", movie type of game play experience other than an open world game. i guess were have to see what mgs5 will be like.
redline
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:28 am

Riku Rose wrote:
OL wrote:
Riku Rose wrote: I'm quite amazed that series is still held in such high regard since people are so up and down on it.

A bit like Final Fantasy in that regard, I guess.

With Final Fantasy every game in the series is it's own thing. I was amazed everyone got excited for MGSV since the reception 2 months after MGSIV was quite cold, most really hated the story which is what most seem to play the series for.

I'm excited for the game I'm just amazed that people are still so excited since the gaming community is so keen to write a series off.

Anyway just ordered my copy, now to just finish the last few missions of Rising and Ground Zeros (Really thought that'd throw that in even as a free download).

It's because Ground Zeroes had such great gameplay and MGSV is Kojima's final Metal Gear, for real, this time. None of this "hurr durr, this my final Metal Gear, I mean it this time" and everyone going "yeah, whatever, ha, that Kojima is such a joker". This is it. Everybody's allowed one bad/disappointing/lacklustre game in their career, nobody's perfect. The writing was on the wall for MGS4, since Kojima made it very well known that he was forced into making MGS4 when he really didn't want to. Even if the plot for MGS5 is dog shit again, at least the gameplay will be awesome this time. Open world stealth action games sure don't come around that often.

Plus I just enjoy the horror like atmosphere I'm getting from the trailers. I'm just hoping he doesn't cop out and shows Big Boss for the evil bastard that he is. Liquid and Solidus did take after daddy, after all.

EDIT: My Simplygames order just shipped today...FUCK! Looks like I will be getting it sooner than I thought. Hoh boy.

Henry Spencer has received a thanks from: OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:48 pm

Henry Spencer wrote:I'm just hoping he doesn't cop out and shows Big Boss for the evil bastard that he is. Liquid and Solidus did take after daddy, after all.

Total subject shift here, but I've never really taken him to be "evil" myself. One of the best things about games like MGS3, Peace Walker, and now Phantom Pain, is that they show a steady and genuine progression from him as an order-taking lapdog into who he would eventually become. And personally, I feel like it makes it clear that everything about him is grey, grey, grey. He has reasons for everything he does. And because of how he's been treated by the world, and because of all the shitty things that he's been witness to, he develops his own philosophies that sit somewhere outside of conventional thought.
Liquid and Solidus on the other hand... yeah, they're bad, bad guys. I think you're pretty on-the-money about them taking after daddy, but it's less about them inheriting anything from him, so much as them misinterpreting how he lived. They do bad things for bad reasons, while Big Boss, even back in the original MG games, did bad things for what he believed to be a greater good.
It's a whole philosophical discussion I guess. He's a ruthless badass, for sure (and I do agree, I hope his potential for morally-ambiguous situations isn't neutered in the new game), but I certainly wouldn't call him an evil bastard.

OL has received a thanks from: Monkei
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby elfshadowreaper » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:44 pm

I've never played MGS but I'm really eager to play Phantom Pain. I'm guessing it'll be stupid of me to try it without playing the other main games in the series, right? I may have to order the PS2 versions of them just to catch up. Do they hold up well?

EDIT
I think the only one I won't be able to play from the Solid series is 4. Would I miss much?
elfshadowreaper
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:49 pm

That may be because you haven't played Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (or you have?), but his speech at the end of the game in that game is nothing short of bonkers. What started out as a band of mercenaries gets changed into a terrorist organisation that holds the world to ransom due to Big Boss losing his own damn mind. MGS3 was obviously, originally, supposed to show how Big Boss got messed up emotionally and mentally by the events of that game. And it was enough of a reason for me to see why Big Boss got pissed off and did the things that he did. In MGS1, it is established by Liquid that at some point his life, he did meet his father and was treated like dirt by him, which led to Liquid's hate of him. There's also the fact that in Zanzibar Land, which is where Big Boss really lost his marbles, he used child soldiers and at that stage enjoyed killing for sport. That's something that Solidus took after (what with Solidus using Raiden as a child soldier and all). And I think most Metal Gear "villain/antagonist" characters are in the grey area, aside from some characters like Volgin. Even somebody like Psycho Mantis, who I would also classify as "evil" had a really tragic back story and small sense of redemption only on his death bed, realising he wasted his life by being as evil as he was.

I think Big Boss manipulating his own son (Solid Snake) and then trying to kill him twice is pretty high up on the "worst dad ever" list, but that's just me. :P
He did some noble things along the way like rescue Naomi and Gray Fox, rescue Sniper Wolf, be a good friend to Ocelot etc. But I've always seen things from Solid Snake's perspective and it's really complicated.

I'd actually say that Solidus is the one son the most like Big Boss, since they both have the right intentions, marred by the way in which they do things. They're both sympathetic characters, but did some really shitty things. That's what makes them interesting to me. That's why I enjoy the Metal Gear story, because it's so convoluted and nobody is straight up evil.

Henry Spencer has received 2 thanks from: Monkei, OL
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

-

Postby danny » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:52 pm

-
Last edited by danny on Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
danny
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:29 pm

As far as custom/fan made covers goes, this is just simply awesome, captures those 80s video tapes perfectly:

Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

-

Postby danny » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:37 pm

-
Last edited by danny on Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danny

Postby OL » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:10 pm

Funny, for some reason I hadn't even thought about the fact that MGSV might actually have its own Metal Gear until I watched that last trailer. :lol:
Right there in the title, and I didn't even consider it.

Have to say though, it does kind of put a bad taste in my mouth when stuff like this is made, based in the past, and somehow all the technology is more advanced than the chronologically-later games. I mean, fuck, the thing in that trailer is practically a Gundam. That sword/whip weapon is so over-the-top it's really, seriously not even funny. The Shagohod and the MG's from Peace Walker were basically just big tanks, so that was acceptable (despite the silly notion of childlike AI in Peace Walker and all), but this thing is straight up anime mecha.
If it were in anything else, I'd think it was cool, but in a 70s-based MGS? Good god. It's easily more advance than either Rex or Ray.

Anyway, finally just ordered Ground Zeroes. Yeah, I'm a little behind.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:32 pm

Launch trailers always tend to have massive spoilers in them, so I avoided it. And I want to see the Metal Gear for myself when I play the game, it's actually one part of the game I've intentionally been saving myself from spoiling, this time around. I'd spoiler that text, Orange.

And it's set in 1984, not the 70s.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PreviousNext

Return to General Gaming