Question for the Shentrad team.

(Modding and other series related projects)

Question for the Shentrad team.

Postby Superrayman3 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:31 pm

Is the Binary Translator ever going to be released to the public? The reason I ask this is because I've been following the Shentrad website for the past 2 years and one of the tools that I've been interested in seeing is the Binary Translator, and i would like to know if that tool is ever going to be released to the public and if it isn't I would like to know why. If someone who knows about this could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.
Superrayman3
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Shenmue 0.400

Re: Question for the Shentrad team.

Postby SiZiOUS » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:24 am

Hi there,

I'm sorry for the big delay, I just saw your forum post just now...

The Binary Translator tool isn't ready yet.
Currently it just generates an XML script that will be used by the patcher engine to modify the binary.

The patcher engine is the piece of code that use this XML script in order to modify strings of a Dreamcast (and Xbox...) binary. It will be part of the Binary Translator tool.

About the patcher engine completion, I was working on it but I swichted on another tool that I must complete before: Special Scenes Subtitles Editor (used to translate some special scenes in Shenmue, for example the 'Nozomi and the Motorcycle' one).

So, the status of the patcher engine is:
  • For the Dreamcast version, I think it's 90% finished.
  • For the Xbox version, I already made a PoC (proof of concept) binary hacking, but I don't taken the time to start the dev for this patcher engine.
This status is for the coding progression, in fact this module will require a LOT OF tests, because modifying console binaries can be very difficult to perform (the game can crash at any time if wrongly modified...).

SiZiOUS has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
SiZiOUS
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Return to Community Projects