I'm remaking Yokosuka in fancy next-gen 3D.Yes,that's right!

(Modding and other series related projects)

I'm remaking Yokosuka in fancy next-gen 3D.Yes,that's right!

Postby Lando » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:28 pm

Hello fellow Shenmue-fans.
A lot has happened since I joined the Dojo in 2005, but as far as Shenmue goes, we're still waiting : (. Back in '05, I was just another youth with an unsure future, but my favorite games of all time were, like most f you, the Shenmues (still is, to this day).
Now, almost 10 years later, I'm a professional 3D-artist, working in the video game industry. Fate, right? Anyways, since Yu and the Boys (and Nagoshi, and the Yakuza-guys) can't seem to do neither a remake of Shenmue I&II, nor shenmue III I've decided to take it upon myself to recreate the whole of Shenmue I in 3D, so everything's done for them the day they decide t actually do a remake! Handy right? : D

I posted this thread almost 2½ years ago, some of you might remember that, it was my intention back then to start this project, but work, life, and everything else came between. Now however, I've got a solid job, many interesting sideprojects running, and a lot of time to kill during the weekends! So, thus, the saga begins ;)

Hope y'all like this!
Every model is 100% custom made from scratch, no Shenmue-assets used at all, every texture is custom made, every painting and kanji based on screenshot/photos of my TV, which I've then painted on for maximum accuracy! It's not much.. yet, but it's something!

Everything's default rendered in the fancy Unreal engine atm, which I'm not yet really familiar with.. but I will be! : D

(I think it all looks kinda crap atm , the light is off and so on,but bear with me, I'll learn as I go and I'll see this through : ) )

The Dojo, for Shenmue Dojo! : D Lacking a roof atm.. working on that!
Gonna light the candles later too!
All the scrolls and stuff are based on the game's! Still missing the sword-box, working on it!
The door, with a red-brown inside, and dark brown outside, just like in the game : D
Really happy with how that hose and bucket turned out : D
The garden lantern! I added some kanjis, anyone recognise them? : ) I try to stay as true to the original look as possible, while adding "logical" details that current gen tech can handle but the DC could not : )
Some bushes and stuff, all very WIP! Note that the fence is now modelled, and not a polygon plane lik in the game ;P
As John Hammond said in jurasic park.. Spared no expense!

I'm working on this a bit every weekend, and sometimes during the wekdays. I'm fulltime employed at Paradox Interactive, and I spend a lot of my freetime developing games for iOS and such, so time is kinda slim but, as you can see, I'm getting somewhere! : D I'll update this thread every now and then when I get the time : D

And I'll see this project through! Probably before Shenmue 3 is released, anyway! xD

Also, thanks to Ziming who posted a lot of Shenmue screens last time I asked for them, without them, I'd have a really hard time creating all this in 3D (I do look in-game a LOT but, some things you just cannot get a good view of xD)

Also, last but not least, I'm ALWAYS in need of good reference material. If anyone got texture packs (i don't use the, but I look at them : )), hi-res screen, screens of weird angles (like, a skyview om Hazuki residence and such) it would be REALLY helpful to get my hand on these : )

Lando
Asia Travel Representative

Re: I'm remaking Yokosuka in fancy next-gen 3D.Yes,that's ri

Postby gabril » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:35 pm

I've no words!!!! GREAT WORK GUY!! :D
keep up it's strabiliant!!!! :D the garden lantern is too beautiful :D
gabril
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Europa Universalis4

Postby Hazuki_san » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:08 pm

It's looking great man good work, what do you plan to do with it?

P.S. Check your message box please.
Hazuki_san

Steam: Motokeiru
Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby ShenSun » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:49 pm

my goodness, that looks amazing. will this be a free roaming rpg?
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Bluecast » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:09 pm

I really really hope you finish. We have not had a finished fan project since Zero and that was while out of love was awful. This looks nice and a a more updated look even if just a work in progress. Gives us a nice idea what a new game could be like. Thanks for sharing. :)
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby mrslig100 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:15 pm

mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby Lando » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:40 am

Ryudo wrote: I really really hope you finish. We have not had a finished fan project since Zero and that was while out of love was awful. This looks nice and a a more updated look even if just a work in progress. Gives us a nice idea what a new game could be like. Thanks for sharing. :)

No probs! I'm a die hard Shenmue fan, own all known versins of the game, I play both games at least once a year, and so on, so I really intend to see this through. It'll take time though! There'äs the issue of creating all the 3D-contetn, which takes time, and also the issue of learning the engine and how light etc works. But I'm getting there : D
But waiting is nothing new for you guys, right? : P

uchihamadarav wrote: my goodness, that looks amazing. will this be a free roaming rpg?

Thanks! Glad to hear it, although I only see the bad parts when I look at it myself xD I'm no programmer so unfortunately I can't make a game out of it, howevere, I was thinking about maybe at least trying to release a build of it, so one could walk around in first person and check everything out : )

Hazuki_san wrote: It's looking great man good work, what do you plan to do with it?

I plan to see it through, just out of pure fan-insanity. As mentioned above I might also try and release some kind of build where one could walk around in the area in 3D. I also intend to use it as a portfolio piece for future work oppertunities... and, of course, if Yu calls, all the content is his to use ;)

gabril wrote: I've no words!!!! GREAT WORK GUY!! :D
keep up it's strabiliant!!!! :D the garden lantern is too beautiful :D

Thanks! Kinda happy with that one myself, although the texture is a bit dull looking atm! : )

mrslig100 wrote: Image

Haha, yeah! I hope Sega might eventually make a remake and if they do, they can gladly use all my content if they'd like to xD

Nice to hear you guys appreciate this, I'll post some more updates.. maybe like.. weekly.. as the work progresses. next up is, the roof and the garden in general (like, the stone you walk on, and the trees and such) : )
Lando

Postby BlueMue » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:02 am

Looks really impressive so far. I hope you can finish your incredible work. I'm looking forward to see more!
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mrslig100 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:34 am

Abe store + Your Lando magic

MAKE IT HAPPEN111111!

Sorry, I wanted to use a larger font but I couldn't find one :(
mrslig100
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Steam: mrslig100
Currently playing: shenmue 3 fandom

Postby south carmain » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:44 am

looks awesome, can't wait to see how you make dobuita
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Lando » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:31 am

SpinDash wrote: Looks really impressive so far. I hope you can finish your incredible work. I'm looking forward to see more!

THanks! I intend to finish it alright, but I'll take some time! (like, honestly, years probably)

mrslig100 wrote: Abe store + Your Lando magic
MAKE IT HAPPEN111111!

Sorry, I wanted to use a larger font but I couldn't find one :(

Really look nforward to the Abe Store too, all those nice details on the candies and whatnot! But it'll have to wait for it's turn ;) First up is Hazuki REsident exterior, then interipor, then Yamanose... but who knows, I might do some Abe store props inbetween the heavier stuff just to kill time : D

south carmain wrote: looks awesome, can't wait to see how you make dobuita

It'll be a while until I geat there but, I do look forward to that myself : D
Lando

Postby nskachu » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:11 pm

"You met quota, son. Keep up the good work."
That’s what you would hear for your work at the harbour. Your doing amazing work!
nskachu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with feelings

Postby shengoro86 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:30 pm

This looks absolutely fantastic.

Keep up the awesome work!
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby Fenix » Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:58 am

Just amazing!
Fenix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Currently playing: 3D Studio Max

Postby Lando » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:13 pm

Fenix wrote: Just amazing!

Thanks! Appreciated : D

nskachu wrote: "You met quota, son. Keep up the good work."
That’s what you would hear for your work at the harbour. Your doing amazing work!

Thanks! Do I get a raise too? : D

shengoro86 wrote: This looks absolutely fantastic.
Keep up the awesome work!

Thanks! I will, updates will come every now-and-then, probably somehting new this week, depending if I have the time to sit down with it : ]

Lando has received a thanks from: nskachu
Lando

Next

Return to Community Projects