Japanese Music

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Japanese Music

Postby OL » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:01 pm

elfshadowreaper wrote:
OL wrote: Oh shit. Another band I thought had lost their spark over time is Girugamesh, but I just listened to their newest:

phpBB [video]

...and holy FUCK, that's awesome.
I was a huge fan for a long time a few years back, and I still enjoyed their newer stuff now and then (they never got bad, just not as good as before), but this one sends it over the top. I'm a big fan again. New album out sometime soon. May actually import that.

I'm a bit late on this but I LOVE this song. I'm not all that into hard hard rock anymore but if it's got a good melody like this song and doesn't have screaming in it I can't resist. Thanks for the suggestion. Is Girugamesh's other music similar?

The only J-band I'm really a "fan" of outside of anime music is L'arc-en-ciel.

Most of Girugamesh's stuff has a really good melody to it; the guy's voice is just built that way. I think it's hard for him not to do anything melodic.
All the same, they are still a metal band, so there is the occasional bit of screaming and whatnot. But because of the nature of his voice, I've always felt that it's probably a bit more "bearable" for an audience that doesn't like screaming; there's just a certain quality to it that isn't quite as much of an assault to the ears as a lot of other metal-style screaming.
Here's a couple songs that I think show off the usual style of their music. There is a bit of screaming present, but it shouldn't be much of a problem, because it's all flowed together with great melodies and whatnot.
Both are several years old, but the groove isn't too much different from their newest stuff (aside from the newer stuff being more technically-complex and a bit heavier). If you like this, I think you'd really like their music in general.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Rakim » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:22 pm

mue 26 wrote: More from da gawd

phpBB [video]

How do you rate Chara, Rakim? Also what about this Major Force old school Japanese hip hop group I've heard about. And do you know this twigy guy lol?

phpBB [video]

I don't really know much about any of those aside from a song or two. But twigy's wikipedia says he's a muslim so that's funny/interesting.

Seeing how you're listening to a lot of m-flo lately have you gotten into Teriyaki Boyz yet? If you haven't Verbal is in that group too and they have songs with Kanye, Pharrell, Daft Punk, Premo and a ton of western artists. I think you'll dig it.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby mue 26 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:58 pm

I've not really listened to any of their stuff outside of the bits they did for the Samurai Champloo soundtrack, but I should check their stuff. That Nigo dude is in the group too right? He's a gawd too obviously.

phpBB [video]
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Rakim » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:36 pm

What songs did they do for Samurai Champloo? I don't think I've heard that.

I think he's just the "DJ". He doesn't really do anything except supply them with shirts to advertise his clothing line as far as I know, though :lol:. Is it even cool wear BAPE anymore? I used to super want those shoes but the prices were too crazy for me.

phpBB [video]

Rakim has received a thanks from: mue 26
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mue 26 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:50 pm

Don't know really, But I have met some people who are really obsessed with old school BAPE stuff from the mid 90s. I think NIGO even released an instrumental hip-hop album at some point, but I've never had the enthusiasm to seek it out. I'm sure I first heard of the teriyaki boyz through Champloo, but I can't seem to find anything about that now. hmmm. Maybe I was mistaken. I'll check them out anyways.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Rakim » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:14 pm

I got the BABYMETAL album recently. Its fucking awesome. The mixture of intense hardcoreness, pop hooks and kawaii idols is exactly my taste. Only momoclo goes harder. I hope they can keep it up for an album or two more.

phpBB [video]
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Neo Matrix » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:58 pm

Slight tangent here, but do any of you choose these songs to sing when/if you go to karaoke? Most of the Japanese music I end up listening to now is because I'm trying to get them ready to (attempt to) sing.
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Zeokage
XBL: Zeokage
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Naruto: UNS Generations

Postby mue 26 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:41 am

Which ones do you do?
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Neo Matrix » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:27 am

I do a bit of a spread, artists include Gospellers, Chemistry, Tohoshinki, Ai Otsuka, Ayumi Hamasaki and some anime themes among others. Or are you asking about specifics?
Neo Matrix
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Zeokage
XBL: Zeokage
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Naruto: UNS Generations

Postby mue 26 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:19 pm

Cool man. What is doing Karaoke like, I've never done it?
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Rakim » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:49 pm

This is how I imagine mue at karaoke:
phpBB [video]

not that I picture you to be that dweeby but you get the point.

Rakim has received a thanks from: mue 26
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mue 26 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:43 pm

lol. Oh god, karaoke is such a next ting . Why do Japanese people recreationally sing and not recreationally dance! It should be the other way around!

Do you do Karaoke Rakim?
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Rakim » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:21 pm

I've never been, but that's only because there's only "karaoke night" type stuff at the local bars. No Japanese style karaoke places here. I'd be tearing it up if we had proper establishments.
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mue 26 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:02 am

Really, there isn't even one in your city? I think there are at least a few Japanese style ones over here, where you can get private rooms and all that. Never been to them though, obviously, and don't think I really want to. The only time I think I'd consider it is if there was a smoking hot beanie I was trying to impress who happened to love karaoke. Something (everything) about Karaoke just seems so cheesy and cringe inducing to me. i'd rather do some proper old school Japanese communal poetry type thing.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Pogogacy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:15 pm

Japan has a wonderful history of insane noisy psychedelic rock going back to Les Rallizes Denudes in the 1960s. My favorite band in this tradition (although there are many great ones) has got to be Boredoms. Fucking awesome stuff.

phpBB [video]

Pogogacy has received 2 thanks from: Nahovil, streetwaves
Pogogacy
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic