Beyond Two Souls

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Beyond Two Souls

Postby Yama » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:50 am

Yama has received 3 thanks from: Axm, Kenny, Raithos
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Re: Beyond Two Souls

Postby Kenny » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:20 am

I thought the demo was pretty alright. It played like Heavy Rain, as I expected it would, but they kind of messed up the QTE parts. I guess to make it more seamless and cinematic, they got rid of the visual cues during the action. But unfortunately, by doing that, it ends up distracting me. I end up paying more attention to whether or not I'm supposed to hit RIGHT or DOWN than the scene at hand. Pretty bad on that note.

People gave HR shit for being largely one note, but I gave it a pass cause it at least gave me the illusion I was changing the story based on the choices I made. Maybe it's just the demo, but based on what I played I don't really have that here. I'm prompted to do stuff only to advance the story but it's a per-determined path. I don't get the feeling that anything I do is altering the journey in some way. The only way this could work is if I'm given more choices on what to do in the world I'm in, more activities or things to explore. But I hardly get anything like that.

Finally, the premise. I dunno, I'm still kinda pissed they didn't go with the KARA tech demo. It's been done to death, but I love Pinocchio-like stories dealing with androids and I bet that one would've been pretty cool. It could've gone so many different ways. Here...okay, a Psychic girl with an invisible psychic friend were trained to be a weapon and are now on the run. Still not sold. Even with the psychic edge, it still comes off as generic. Probably because they rely on the whole "I'M ON THE RUN FROM THE GOVERNMENT" angle too much, I've seen that shit done a billion million times.

The final product has a chance to prove me wrong. Maybe the story would be pretty interesting. But another thing...Ellen Page as a badass on the run? I dunno, I liked her in Juno and Inception but I'm just not buying it here. Especially when she says "I'll kill everyone" in that nasally tone of hers, that's hardly intimidating. Even with the psychic powers in consideration.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:50 pm

^And that is my biggest concern for the game. Ellen Page can not do intimidating or bad-ass. It'll lead to some unintentionally silly/hilarious scenes like usual with Cage, though (we all remember "JAYSOOON" and kung fu fighting, demonic granny in the wheelchair, right?) I think this game might even bring back the batshit insanity of Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy, if the trailers are anything to go by. I'm sort of hoping it doesn't, but if it does, it'll be an enjoyable trainwreck to watch.

It'll probably be a rental for me though, like Heavy Rain was.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Axm » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:50 pm

Just finished with the demo and its everything I expected. A very polished story drivin game, just like Heavy Rain, that focuses on interacting with QTE's. Although this time we have the entity Aiden to control and it makes for an interesting time messing with objects and people. The entity is kinda like the game Flower but you can kill people.

I really like the story and what its about so far. Thats why anyone who plays this game should play it. Dont look at it like you would a traditional game, just like people mistakingly thought they should with Heavy Rain.
Although from what ive seen in trailers we have some combat gameplay that makes it more game-like, but we'll see how that goes.

Overall I liked the acting and Ellen Page might not be the perfect actress for the role but I have zero problem with her performance so far. The game wants to be movie like and I appriciate it for trying to be unique in a sea of conformitive action genres that peigion hole video games into a "teenager/nerd/otaku" medium.

So take it for what it is and if you dont like what it is then.. Honestly I question why any of you would like Shenmue either. Not that they are in the same genre but obviously they share cinimatic drivin gameplay and QTE's.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Bluecast » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:55 pm

Not here to bash cage or anything. Just here to give a big complement believe it or not.

PS3 IMO is really showing how you finish off a last year for a console before the new one. This is something Nintendo has not done since SNES. MS has no clue. Sony started off this gen with a stumble a fall and went full retard. it finished this gen very strong. Beyond may not be my type of game but the year started of with Ni no Kuni and just had a long string of top exclusives. So That's all just a well respected hats off to Sony...and to think it started this gen looking to fall in 3rd and may end up second place.

Bluecast has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Yama
Bluecast
Jean Valjean
Banned

PSN: Ryudoadam
XBL: Dogi99
Nintendo FC: Segata
Steam: Ryudo2k9
Currently playing: Some weeb game as always.

Postby Raithos » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:57 pm

Thanks for posting this Yama, just got a code. Had to make a temporary Facebook but it was worth it lol
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Axm » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:11 pm

Ryudo wrote: Not here to bash cage or anything. Just here to give a big complement believe it or not.

PS3 IMO is really showing how you finish off a last year for a console before the new one. This is something Nintendo has not done since SNES. MS has no clue. Sony started off this gen with a stumble a fall and went full retard. it finished this gen very strong. Beyond may not be my type of game but the year started of with Ni no Kuni and just had a long string of top exclusives. So That's all just a well respected hats off to Sony...and to think it started this gen looking to fall in 3rd and may end up second place.

Axm has received a thanks from: Bluecast
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Kenny » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:40 pm

Henry Spencer wrote: ^And that is my biggest concern for the game. Ellen Page can not do intimidating or bad-ass. It'll lead to some unintentionally silly/hilarious scenes like usual with Cage, though (we all remember "JAYSOOON" and kung fu fighting, demonic granny in the wheelchair, right?) I think this game might even bring back the batshit insanity of Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy, if the trailers are anything to go by. I'm sort of hoping it doesn't, but if it does, it'll be an enjoyable trainwreck to watch.

It'll probably be a rental for me though, like Heavy Rain was.

I hope not either. HR was the second best attempt Cage has done, I thought the story was pretty rock solid for the most part.

I was also noticing alot of moments of missed opportunity to make things more visually and cinematically amazing. Maybe it's cause I have a different perspective on how things should be done, but for instance the scene where Page says "I'll kill everyone"...you could have Aiden shake up nearby objects and mess with the lights around her, accumulating with a psychic barrier around her.

Then when she starts to say her lines she could've said them in a lower, more aggressive voice. After she says her lines, everything around starts breaking or pushed around. Make the SWAT leader freaked out by this shit. Little touches like that would've made that scene more intense.

As it is now, it's ho-hum. Hopefully in context these scenes will work just fine.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Yama » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:36 pm

Here is a video I did showing off the demo and explaining the gameplay and various control schemes. Part two of two is also available on my channel.

phpBB [video]

Yama has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Bluecast
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby The_Intruder » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:00 pm

Thanks a lot guys for this I didn't know about the early access to Beyond two souls demo. I'm downloading it right now. I really liked Indigo prophecy and Heavy Rain.

ADDED: I enjoy the demo but the fighting controls are hard to get used to it. I kept getting caught by the cops but you never die in this game. Can't wait for the game to come out.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby Yama » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:38 pm

The_Intruder wrote: Thanks a lot guys for this I didn't know about the early access to Beyond two souls demo. I'm downloading it right now. I really liked Indigo prophecy and Heavy Rain.

ADDED: I enjoy the demo but the fighting controls are hard to get used to it. I kept getting caught by the cops but you never die in this game. Can't wait for the game to come out.

I explain them a bit in my video if you care to view. They're actually quite simple and the game seemingly revolves around a two dimensional "battle system."

Yama has received a thanks from: The_Intruder
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Postby The_Intruder » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:14 pm

I'll check the video out.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Raithos » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:37 pm

I know some people here frown on buying from Gamestop for whatever reason, but I just canceled my Amazon pre-order and moved it to Gamestop. For the same price as the regular edition, you get the special edition with a steel book and soundtrack. Just FYI

Raithos has received a thanks from: Yama
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby The_Intruder » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:49 pm

I preorder mine from Amazon. This is the best game I played since the Last of Us. I really can't wait for the game to come out. What I like so much about Beyond two souls is that you get to see different sequence depending if you fail in a fight. I played the demo 4 times but I couldn't climb the mountain I failed the QTE so I didn't get to see that scene after that.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yama » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:52 pm

Raithos wrote:I know some people here frown on buying from Gamestop for whatever reason, but I just canceled my Amazon pre-order and moved it to Gamestop. For the same price as the regular edition, you get the special edition with a steel book and soundtrack. Just FYI

Yeah, it's a no brainer sadly. Great deal.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

Next

Return to General Gaming