GD-ROM Emulation.

(Modding and other series related projects)

GD-ROM Emulation.

Postby ShenmueTree » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:17 pm

I'm not quite sure where to post this since it's not my project and I have absolutely nothing to do with it. I am excited however because it looks likes it's finally happening. A user over at Assemblergames cybdyn has seemed to get some games up and running via IDE or SD ( think), which has been in development for quite a while now and I'm glad to hear after so long there's progress.

Another user, Ozone is also working on such a project.

GD-ROM emulation will allow full GDI rips (1:1 rips of Dreamcast games) to run on the Dreamcast.

Here is the thread discussion http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/sh ... oup/page23
Here are some videos http://www.youtube.com/user/9madsheep/videos

This could mean many, many great things. No needing to buy 99 minute discs or any discs at all, no more lasers wearing out, no more size limits, heavily modified games. Imagine Shenmue 1 undub, maybe even prototype games and such.

Theoretically you can even turn your Dreamcast until a sort of arcade machine that plays DC games and such.

Really cool and really exciting.

ShenmueTree has received 3 thanks from: Giorgio, MiTT3NZ, Ziming
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Re: GD-ROM Emulation.

Postby Giorgio » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:25 pm

One among other things that would be possible, is: Shenmue 2 with high-quality full English dub (of course for Dreamcast).
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby Ziming » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:21 am

Giorgio wrote: One among other things that would be possible, is: Shenmue 2 with high-quality full English dub (of course for Dreamcast).

The same goes for the Shenmue 1undub made by sm1th, we won't be confined to using 99 min cd-r's.
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby sm1th » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:51 am

Giorgio wrote: One among other things that would be possible, is: Shenmue 2 with high-quality full English dub (of course for Dreamcast).

There will be remakes of the shen2 english releases in the near future for 80min and 99min cd-rs.

Ziming wrote:The same goes for the Shenmue 1undub made by sm1th, we won't be confined to using 99 min cd-r's.

I have just been posting it that 99min undub thread b/c it has the most activity related to the project.
Nothing is removed from shen undub, nothing downsampled etc., and its for standard 80 min cd-r's and NOT 99min cd-r's!
Alot has changed since I started the project.
As we speak I am testing CD3!

:)
sm1th
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Postby ShenmueTree » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:58 am

sm1th wrote:

There will be remakes of the shen2 english releases in the near future for 80min and 99min cd-rs.

Ziming wrote:The same goes for the Shenmue 1undub made by sm1th, we won't be confined to using 99 min cd-r's.

I have just been posting it that 99min undub thread b/c it has the most activity related to the project.
Nothing is removed from shen undub, nothing downsampled etc., and its for standard 80 min cd-r's and NOT 99min cd-r's!
Alot has changed since I started the project.
As we speak I am testing CD3!

:)

The thing about using CD over GDI is the size limit as well as the wear that it does with the laser. With this mod there is no need to use any actual discs at all, meaning you can put you DC to the test. Also think of the improvements this can have to developing homebrew, bigger file sizes allow higher textures.

I'm thinking, MAYBE you can even do slightly higher texture mods to retail dreamcast games. It can only go up to a certain resolution, it's true but I still think there are some games that can use some improvement. (Though it might cause the DC to slowdown)
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby shengoro86 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:23 am

I really hope someone gets the optical disc emulator working.

It will make modding Dreamcast Shenmue much much easier.
shengoro86
Admin - Shenmue500K
Shenmue 500K Staff

PSN: Shengoro86
XBL: Rock Is Sponge
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: Shenmue III (PC)

Postby ShenmueTree » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:04 pm

I'm pretty sure Cybdyn has got it working. Last time I checked the site he had GDI's booting from the GD-ROM emulator. CDIs weren't running for some reason though, but he had made the board, and the sdcard for it and it ran games.

Videos of it working here https://www.youtube.com/user/9madsheep/videos (For the SD design prototype)

here is a render of the prototype for IDE Image
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby BlueMue » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:31 pm

An Everdrive like device that directly connects to the GD-ROM interface, that possibly replaces the noisy and dying drives? Awesome!!! When this project is finished I will definately get one of these and put it in a spare Dreamcast with a broken drive!
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby ShenmueTree » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:09 pm

It'll absolutely replace the noise drive and need for the drive at all, actually. It'll just snap right into the DC. Imagine all the Dreamcasts that can be instantly revived by putting in this device, no more fiddling with CR-Rs,CD-ROMs, lasers, burners, etc. Download the GDI, load up the custom OS firmware (which will probably be integrated into the device.) and viola.

Personally, I'm exited for what can be accomplished with in-game music and sound quality. No more downsampled or distorted shit, and there's room for Game Music HDifacation too. xD.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Return to Community Projects