Yu Suzuki revisits Shenmue at GDC 2014 (Postmortem)

(Latest news & updates on the series)

Moderator: News Poster/Veteran Contributor

Re: Yu Suzuki revisits Shenmue at GDC 2014 (Postmortem)

Postby killthesagabeforeitkillsu » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:38 pm

Let go cerny...

killthesagabeforeitkillsu has received 3 thanks from: Axm, Let's Get Sweaty, we420
killthesagabeforeitkillsu
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Ziming » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:45 pm

Ziming has received 4 thanks from: Let's Get Sweaty, we420, Yama, Yokosuka Martian
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Axm » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:52 pm

Ziming wrote:We have to get someone representing Shenmue Dojo into this postmortem event. Seriously.

Too bad I will have already moved to Japan by the first week of March (GDC is march 17th) otherwise I would have seriously taken the train up and try to get in as a Shenmue Dojo representative or atleast with help from friends in the industry. I have my own equipment that would have made for a good quality video interview given the opportunity. :(
Hopefully with me being in Japan for the future though I could perhaps arrange something more exclusive.
Last edited by Axm on Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:01 pm

Adore those GIFs. :lol:

I can't top them, I can only proceed with plugging this.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Giorgio
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Riku Rose » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:24 pm

MiTT3NZ wrote:
Riku Rose wrote: They won't announce Shenmue III after 6 months of development. I doubt that in a week and a half Sony have talked to both Sony and Yu and been able to make an agreement to bring Shenmue to Playstation.

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/tetsuya-no ... been-prema

They'd been working fully on KHIII for over a year before they even showed it. They've been working on the game on and off for years.

I just doubt that in just under two weeks they've sorted out all the legal work, sorted out a team and arranged this show to announce something. There may be an announcement or something shown as between now and then they could come to agreements but I doubt this was planned for the show.

I'd be willing to bet this will be like the previous GDC show he did but with a full focus on Shenmue rather then all the games he's made.
Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Ziming » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:03 pm

The GM of GDC events Meggan Scavio tweeted she had known of this Shenmue postmortem with Yu Suzuki months in advance.

https://twitter.com/megganpez/status/405356049110011904

Ziming has received a thanks from: Giorgio
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Sakuragaoka » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:19 pm

Great news.
Sakuragaoka
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:21 pm

Ziming wrote: The GM of GDC events Meggan Scavio tweeted she had known of this Shenmue postmortem with Yu Suzuki months in advance.

https://twitter.com/megganpez/status/405356049110011904

If thats the case then you cant correlate it with the ps4 "we want more games" campaign. That was a recent thing
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby mue 26 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:25 pm

I'm not expecting an announcement or anything, nor do I think the Cerny thing is incredibly relevant to talks with Sony (considering they are already well known friends), but regardless, I came a little bit in my pants when I saw this. Just this for what it is is quite exciting, hope we get some interesting details. At first I also thought this was Zimings secret project, I was like "rah, Ziming sure can pull some strings" :lol:

This does inevitably add on to all the Shenmue+Sony hype right now though. Which is a good thing.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby blacktorn » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:59 pm

Logging into this site again in the first time in many years...even though this will more than likely be just a retrospective i can't help but feel there will be some kind of Shenmue related announcement.

With Yu having an interview with David Cage,being apparently some what close to mark Cerny,shenmue being at the top of the list of the most wanted retro releases on PS and being printed in the official playstation magazine and now this GDC deal solely based on Shenmue with mark,how could anyone blame any die hard shenmue fan to have some hope.

There hasn't been this many things come together and give us hope like this since what a decade?

I always had a feeling something would happen around the 15th anniversary of shenmue and i would take a shot at saying something shenmue related will be released to mark that occasion in fall '14.

I do think that there must be some people in the industry who were fans of shenmue and would generally like to see shenmue be concluded.

The best case scenario i think would be if they just released a single game as shenmue and condense as much of the story in one game with the amount of time and money that would be available and let us have the conclusion already,i can't see them releasing shenmue in multiple installments like yu originally visioned.So just get it out there in one go.

blacktorn has received 2 thanks from: Giorgio, Yama
blacktorn
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Peter » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:17 pm

I'm tempted to start organising this trip. Seriously. Not as if I have any commitments. Plus maybe a bit of Irish at it will give a bit of luck towards a Shenmue announcement.

Peter has received a thanks from: mue 26
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby mue 26 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:29 pm

Do it Peter. Good looking Shenmue fans have to rep. Yes I'm saying your a reasonably handsome male, but don't get carried away yeah, your Irish accent is still only a 6/10 as far as Irish accents go.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Peter » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:51 pm

Haahaa thanks Mue. After 2 nights in Singapore I met a girl from Bulgaria which helped boost my confidence since I couldn't pull in Australia for any amount of money. But yea I will try and get to this, if anyone wants to point me in the right direction for resources and information. Like flights and accommodation are not too bad, but I have never been to a gaming event before (until PAX 2014) so I am not 100% on how they work. Will the general in public be allowed to this specific event, or is it luck of registration, or game industry employees only??
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby MiTT3NZ » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:04 pm

Talk to Segata, Alimn or shengoro. I'm goin, but won't be able to get entry to the event, it might be the same for you, so if you want I'll get the drinks in n we can just loiter outside the room.

MiTT3NZ has received a thanks from: Axm
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby AdamKoralik » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:23 pm

Video coming soon. And this is in San Francisco huh?

AdamKoralik has received a thanks from: lavrentis
AdamKoralik

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates