Blog: What if Shenmue was exclusive to XBox One

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Blog: What if Shenmue was exclusive to XBox One

Postby ShenmueTree » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:31 pm

I'm sorry, I just can't take Phil Spencer seriously. He has the same response for every game suggested. It always goes along the lines of 'It's not up to us." or "We don't have the pull for X" It's nonsense.

I wouldn't mind Shenmue on Xbox One but I just don't trust the company, especially after the stunt they tried to pull earlier this year. Also that blog was bordering on condescending, with a bunch of silly points. Why have mini games on iphone, when you can actually have them on, I dunno, the mainscreen. It's worked perfect for the first two games and honestly since the game takes place in the 80s it would remove immersion to me. Just my opinion.

That said, the most consoles Shenmue gets on the better. It's that I just don't have faith in Microsoft for it to happen.
ShenmueTree
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:35 pm

I'd rather it be on PS4, personally. Realistically because that would be the only console I'd intend to buy in the future. Buying a console I don't really want for one game would certainly make it harder for me to enjoy the game.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Yama » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:27 pm

I'd like for the series to go wherever it has the best chance of coming to fruition. Empty comments from the competition only help create urgency on the other side. Legitimate or not, some pressure can't hurt.

AdamKoralik wrote:Microsoft tried, and failed, twice now with that same strategy. They made plenty of Japanese oriented exclusives for the XBox and XBox 360 we never saw in the west, and yet the numbers are what they are.

However, I will grant this. After Microsoft's horrendous summer with the XBox One announcement and DRM and all that, they're in a position of desperation to appease gamers. Perhaps this would be part of that.

Yeah, that's definitely the point. Like I too mentioned earlier, it didn't pan out, but it's either try again or give up at this point when it comes to Japan for the Xbox brand. I'm not suggesting it would or should happen on any end, though I'm not counting it out either. Just to note, generations can and will change drastically over their life span, this one is just getting started after all. What sounds terrible now could be ideal in a few years... or even more terrible. :lol:

Axm wrote:Given DR's previous sucess as an exculsive last go on 360 during launch and KI being a more western game anyways, yes those decisions to lock down/start up the IP for themselves makes perfect sense. But after the clear failure of Shenmue 2x last time around why would MS choose to double down on something with such a low chance of sucsess historically?

Yeah, that's definitely true and quite obvious. It does show the ability to properly ressurect a series though, which despite everything is still a positive. As for Shenmue itself, it is a sore spot though time heals all wounds. We're multiple generations past that after all, just about everything has changed within the company. At the end of the day I'm simply being open and optimistic because I'd like to play the game in any shape or form, console notwithstanding.

Yama has received a thanks from: ShenSun
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Raithos » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:53 pm

I would honestly be just as upset as I would be happy. On one hand I get to play Shenmue III, on the other I have to buy an Xbox One. Buying a console for one game blows, especially when the manufacturer of the console is part of the reason you didn't get Shenmue II on US DC's in the first place. I had no choice but to buy an Xbox to play Shenmue II in English. The system had no other exclusives (besides SEGA games that were intended for DC anyway) that interested me. Most of the exclusives they had vs PS2 I had on PC (KoToR, Jade Empire, Halo 1+2 just to name a few). So to me the system was a bust. Then I had to buy a 360 just to play Tales of Vesperia. With hardly any other titles EVER getting played on it besides Ikaruga, Rez HD and a few other SEGA games. All of which I already own the originals. Xbox exclusives just don't do it for me. A multi-platform release on PS4/XBOX ONE would be perfectly fine to me, but it will never get made without someone backing it. So I would probably have a stroke if I found out Microsoft bought the rights to Shenmue again instead of SONY.

TL:DR... ](*,)
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Yama » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:44 pm

The words upset and Shenmue III don't go together. I'd buy a space station if I had to in order to play that game.

Yama has received 2 thanks from: Axm, Raithos
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby The_Intruder » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:51 pm

I'm only planning to get a PS4 this new generation so I prefer Shenmue III on it. I don't think I'm getting anymore Nintendo consoles unless Zelda Wii U impress me a lot and I don't want Xbox one. The only reason why I bought Xbox and the 360 was because Shenmue 2X, Ninja Gaiden and DOA but now Team Ninja releases those games on playstation consoles.
The_Intruder
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Jann-Lee1999
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Zelda:Breath of the wild

Postby lavrentis » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:20 pm

Would it be just me who'd be a little annoyed if MS and Sony(as unlikely as it is) went on a bidding war? Come on guys you've had 10+ years to seal it!?

Only kidding, just give me the god damn game. Please.
lavrentis
Shenmue - THE best game
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:27 am

It would make a great episode of Cash in the Attic.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Raithos » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:12 am

Yama wrote: The words upset and Shenmue III don't go together. I'd buy a space station if I had to in order to play that game.

I didn't mean I wouldn't buy it, because I would buy a copy for everyone I know that has an Xbox One, but it would be very frustrating. For me Shenmue doesn't belong on Xbox. It just doesn't fit anything the system has ever been about. One of the best series to ever come out of Japan on a console whose company has pretty much stated they only care about American/European markets, and have shown it several times in the past. It goes with what I said about Tales of Vesperia, one of the best JRPG's of last gen and the only way to get it in the US is on 360. All because Microsoft bought exclusive rights to a game from a series that has predominantly been on SONY consoles. It pretty much tanked here, it was $20 barely weeks after it released. They didn't buy those rights in Japan, they only screwed US gamers. It didn't do great there either until it released on PS3. Plus Shenmue sold better here in the US than overseas if I remember correctly right? SEGA would be screwing themselves, the series, and the fans by letting that happen. It wouldn't be a system seller in Japan like a lot of people think it would be, unless that system had SONY written on it. I could be wrong, that's just the way I see it.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:44 am

Sega wouldn't be screwing themselves, they'd be spending Microsoft's money. The only reason to make the game exclusive is in exchange for funding, be it from Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, whoever.

And they wouldn't be screwing the fans, because without this funding the fans don't have the option to play the game at all.

Screwing the series? Shenmue III would surely be the last in the series. Its major selling point is concluding the story. Nobody would dare end this one on another cliffhanger, or there'd be riots, haha. So it's not like poor sales would be endangering Shenmue IV. It would make spin-offs less likely, but we can all live without those for the sake of getting III finally made, can't we?

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: Yama
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Raithos » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:53 am

When I said screwing themselves, fans and the series I meant that with Japan specifically in mind. Me not wanting it on Xbox is just a personal preference based on previous Microsoft systems, games, and how bad other titles have tanked because of the system they were released on. But releasing SIII on a console brand not popular in their own country would be like a big FU and would surely hurt them in the long run. Yes, the initial money would come from funding, but they won't make anything if it doesn't sell. The game simply would not do well there on Xbox. I'm not saying it would sell like hotcakes here on one system over the other, because I think sales for SIII in the US would be about the same regardless of the platform it released on. Japan is different, just look at how the US consoles did over there the past two generations. One game isn't going to change that overnight, know what I mean? So releasing it on Xbox would ultimately screw the final entry in the series for a lot of people. I honestly wish it could be released on all platforms, but I don't think that is ever going to be a possibility.
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:17 am

Raithos wrote:But releasing SIII on a console brand not popular in their own country would be like a big FU and would surely hurt them in the long run.

Should Microsoft not be expected to try and woo Japanese gamers to their brand with games they want to play? It's not an FU to anybody if Microsoft paying for Xbox exclusivity is the only way the game would get made. Same as with Nintendo and Bayonetta 2.

Yes, the initial money would come from funding, but they won't make anything if it doesn't sell.

Why not? If it's been paid for, then they've nothing to lose. They'd be idiots to tell Microsoft or anybody else, "Thanks for the offer to hire our team and IP, but are you sure you want us to do this? You stand to lose money here."

So releasing it on Xbox would ultimately screw the final entry in the series for a lot of people.

Only in so much as they'd have to buy a new console to play it, which is a big step up from the current prospect of never playing the game no matter how many consoles you're willing to buy.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Raithos » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:57 am

Let's not forget we aren't debating facts here, just opinions on what we think. You're missing/ignoring a big part of what I said, as evident in your replies. The past is the best teacher. Japan is a very different market than the rest of the world. Microsoft has tried to woo Japanese gamers with both previous consoles, neither worked. I also think SEGA would be dumb not to accept money from anyone willing to give it to them. PSO2 has still not made it to the US/EU, which proves the Japanese market is SEGA's top priority. Xbox is the worst choice out of the three for it to be any kind of success there. But I will buy it no matter what it's released on, even if it was a low grade version on the Ouya.

Raithos has received a thanks from: Axm
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:57 pm

I'm not missing or ignoring anything, I just don't believe those points are relevant to the situation. You're comparing Xbox exclusivity against other (equally) hypothetical scenarios like Playstation exclusivity or a multiformat release. I'm comparing Xbox exclusivity against the actual current scenario of no release at all. And given that direct choice, I see no legitimate reason not to proceed with an Xbox deal if Microsoft were interested.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Who Really Cares? » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:20 pm

Raithos wrote: I would honestly be just as upset as I would be happy. On one hand I get to play Shenmue III, on the other I have to buy an Xbox One. Buying a console for one game blows, especially when the manufacturer of the console is part of the reason you didn't get Shenmue II on US DC's in the first place. I had no choice but to buy an Xbox to play Shenmue II in English. The system had no other exclusives (besides SEGA games that were intended for DC anyway) that interested me. Most of the exclusives they had vs PS2 I had on PC (KoToR, Jade Empire, Halo 1+2 just to name a few). So to me the system was a bust. Then I had to buy a 360 just to play Tales of Vesperia. With hardly any other titles EVER getting played on it besides Ikaruga, Rez HD and a few other SEGA games. All of which I already own the originals. Xbox exclusives just don't do it for me. A multi-platform release on PS4/XBOX ONE would be perfectly fine to me, but it will never get made without someone backing it. So I would probably have a stroke if I found out Microsoft bought the rights to Shenmue again instead of SONY.

TL:DR... ](*,)

You realize that even without the deal Shenmue II on the Dreamcast would have been in Japanese rather than English. You could have also imported the pal version if you wanted to play it that much.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III