Trends

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Trends

Postby Jokatech19 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:44 pm

Every time I notice something, I have to wait 5-10 years before everyone goes from calling me stupid and insulting me, to saying I was right. It's hard getting used to that without killing people. However, I think that systems like the PSP Go are an example of delayed reaction. When it came out, many insecure and inane idiots bashed it, due to the love of hording physical games in rooms filled to the ceiling. While the collector in me still enjoys doing that, I also see the perks to this generation. We live in the generation of apps, and downloadable software. Yet, most consoles released, still; for monetary purposes, depend on physical games. With home consoles I expect that to a degree. The Vita, however, and other current gen handhelds, don't really do the times justice.

As old as the PSP Go is, I have one, with between 60-70 games on it along with my 2 other memory sticks, which I slide into the case that holds my system. Everything folds up, and the crisp screen with very good definition, fits right into my pocket, even when I'm wearing a suit. Yet, with all of this innovation, it was hated. Why? Because it made too much sense at the time. Now, we are in a tablet age, where everyone with a tablet, phone, or any portable device, automatically lives under the prerequisite that all media must be accessible when we want. Yet, people have Wii U, and Vita's, and as much as they complain, they persist in supporting them. With one of these consoles, you can carry only a couple of games from your library at a time with you, and run the risk of software damage just like the generation before last. It's retrogression. Yet, it won't be until 5 years from now, that they scramble to make Go versions of the current gen handhelds, realizing their worth.

Jokatech19 has received a thanks from: Ri_oh
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: AC: Revelations

Re: Trends

Postby Crimson Ryan » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:13 pm

I had one but had to get rid of it shortly after.

You're right it was ahead of it's time but that's not the only reason it sunk. The price compared to the current PSP was ludicrous, and the software, the small selection actually available digitally at the time, was also too expensive. I don't think Sony even knew what to do with it at the time. After they stopped producing it they even noted it as an experiment.

Though I'm sure if they hadn't of done it, the Vita could of been very different..

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: Jokatech19
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:25 pm

Jokatech19 wrote: Every time I notice something, I have to wait 5-10 years before everyone goes from calling me stupid and insulting me, to saying I was right. It's hard getting used to that without killing people. However, I think that systems like the PSP Go are an example of delayed reaction. When it came out, many insecure and inane idiots bashed it, due to the love of hording physical games in rooms filled to the ceiling. While the collector in me still enjoys doing that, I also see the perks to this generation. We live in the generation of apps, and downloadable software. Yet, most consoles released, still; for monetary purposes, depend on physical games. With home consoles I expect that to a degree. The Vita, however, and other current gen handhelds, don't really do the times justice.

As old as the PSP Go is, I have one, with between 60-70 games on it along with my 2 other memory sticks, which I slide into the case that holds my system. Everything folds up, and the crisp screen with very good definition, fits right into my pocket, even when I'm wearing a suit. Yet, with all of this innovation, it was hated. Why? Because it made too much sense at the time. Now, we are in a tablet age, where everyone with a tablet, phone, or any portable device, automatically lives under the prerequisite that all media must be accessible when we want. Yet, people have Wii U, and Vita's, and as much as they complain, they persist in supporting them. With one of these consoles, you can carry only a couple of games from your library at a time with you, and run the risk of software damage just like the generation before last. It's retrogression. Yet, it won't be until 5 years from now, that they scramble to make Go versions of the current gen handhelds, realizing their worth.

digital is an excuse for companies to kill off the competition. I'm sorry to say this but no I'm not looking forward to when my only choice in buying a game is from sony or microsoft where a digital version costs 20£ more than the physical copy on release

I also don't want to have to rely on overpriced propriety memory cards to have to store my games.

south carmain has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Jokatech19 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:30 pm

What sucks is that I'm giving thought to condensing my handhelds, or major gaming systems, into 1 powerful handhelds system, in the future. I'm doing this, due to simplifying, managing time, and other things that seem to come up. I've always been into portables, but lately, they are more of a convenience to me. I barely get to sit down and rock my systems these days, and I doubt that is going to dramatically change. I just finished Lost Odyssey for the 2nd time, but had to stay up late nights to get hours in. And the thing I love is that after decades of wishing, we finally have an era where handhelds can easily rival consoles in scope and power. The PSP was literally the materialization of a lot of our dreams growing up playing Game Boy.

The Vita came along at the perfect time, to utilize the new age tech with, digital game storage, apps and touch screen, and still cater to the old school purist- thus bridging the gap. But I feel it just doesn't deliver to me yet. I don't know a lot about the system, but I do see that they require you to buy physical game cards at the store to stick inside the console. I really think this is the appropriate time for systems to be completely digital, at least as an option. It feels weird to consider selling my GO to buy a Vita and go back to carrying destructible game discs around, 2 at a time.

@ South Carmain- I totally understand the price issues you mention. In fact, I used to be against the PSP Go at the very beginning. I had a huge library at the time and had to think of getting it all over again. I also remember how expensive those cards were. But, after I invested in taking my time with it, I found that in the long run, it was best. I have 60+ games stored on my PC and memory cards that won't crack or scratch, or take up any needless room. It took me a while to get past that stuff though. I remember my friend coming home to visit from the army and showing me his GO with AC: Bloodlines. I laughed at him at first.
Last edited by Jokatech19 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby south carmain » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:33 pm

Jokatech19 wrote: The Vita came along at the perfect time, to utilize the new age tech with, digital game storage, apps and touch screen, and still cater to the old school purist- thus bridging the gap. But I feel it just doesn't deliver to me yet. I don't know a lot about the system, but I do see that they require you to buy physical game cards at the store to stick inside the console. I really think this is the appropriate time for systems to be completely digital, at least as an option. It feels weird to consider selling my GO to buy a Vita and go back to carrying destructible game discs around, 2 at a time.

going completely digital with the vita is an option, if you want you can purchase all your games off PSN and have them stored. only problem is that it's more expensive than purchasing them physically most of the time and the propriety memory cards are way too overpriced. though I guess I do have to give props to sony for PS+ that gives you 2 free vita games a month, that combined with physical copies is as good as it gets imo

south carmain has received a thanks from: Jokatech19
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Raithos » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:55 pm

Crimson Ryan wrote:
Though I'm sure if they hadn't of done it, the Vita could of been very different..

I'm so glad they did, I dread the day when all games are digital only. I mean it was a great idea, if the PSP didn't exist, but poor preparation on SONY's part. Buy a bigger memory stick and you have the same thing minus the slider, plus have the option of cheaper physical media. I still think its looks slick though, and was def ahead of its time. If it could make phone calls tho.... :-"
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Thief » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:19 pm

I'm not convinced that digital media will inevitably become the standard.
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:54 am

I really like digital games that are priced appropriately like Crimnson Shroud on 3DS or Hotline Miami on Vita. What I'm not a fan of is like south carmain says: games that cost almost £20 more than the physical version. If all games were priced like they are on Steam/GOG then I think more people would be open to the "digital future".

I just prefer owning certain things physically anyway, especially so that I don't have to re-download and then install a game everytime I want to just pick up and play a game again after some time has passed.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby Jokatech19 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:06 am

The fear of re-downloads is what delayed me in getting into digital media. However, over time I found that it isn't an issue. Once purchased, you own the game and can back them up on an external hard-drive to get later if you should need the room. The problem is that with this new and current generation, updates- or tracking devices, allow companies to potentially enslave you to memberships and at any moment make a game suddenly unplayable. That's what I loved about the GO. Updates were actually updates back then, and if you own a game, you won't suddenly need a so-called updated to continue playing it.
Jokatech19
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Yama » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:04 pm

The PSP GO was an amazing portable, the forced online collection and prices were not. The moment it was hacked it became the most useful pocket console there was. Mix in the docking station that connects to the TV and a Bluetooth PS3 controller and it's just that much sweeter. Mine has never been pushed aside and never will.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX
Favorite title: Shenmue

Return to General Gaming