YouTube Content ID Claims

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

YouTube Content ID Claims

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:42 pm

Orange may want to see this (back your stuff up):

We recently enabled Content ID scanning on channels identified as affiliates of MCNs [the networks/Multi Channel Networks]. This has resulted in new copyright claims for some users, based on policies set by the relevant content owners. As ever, channel owners can easily dispute Content ID claims if they believe those claims are invalid.

Bottom line: "managed" channels are safe and are exempt from any content ID claims as well as the upcoming monetization review changes detailed in the above link. "Affiliate" channels will continue to get content ID claims and will also be affected by the incoming monetization review system.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=733129

http://www.tubefilter.com/2013/12/11/yo ... id-claims/

So basically, there might be very little game music, game reviews, first impressions or Let's Plays/Walkthroughs of games or other entertainment in general in the future. YouTube has lately become a bit of a minefield for ID claims, so...
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Re: YouTube Content ID Claims

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:48 pm

The time is now for a spiritual successor to rise.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:58 pm

YouTube lived long enough to see itself become the villain.

Crimson Ryan has received 3 thanks from: MiTT3NZ, OL, Who Really Cares?
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:33 pm

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby Riku Rose » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:41 pm

Geez Ryudo accused Peter of trying to kill him for just moving his videos to another sub forum, I'd hate to see how he reacts to Youtube actually taking one down.

Riku Rose
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:44 pm

Who Really Cares? wrote:http://www.computerandvideogames.com/442245/industry-fights-back-as-youtube-begins-mass-cull-of-game-videos/

It's just so ironic that it's even effecting those that the system was put in place for, in the first place. It's happening to everybody, like I say.

And the fact that YouTube videos can actually help sales for entertainment products (I've been sold on games, music or movies from a quick look, seeing what gameplay or scenes look like). All that YouTube is providing for with this system, is nobody.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby MiTT3NZ » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:48 pm

Yeah, there's a lot of developers/publishers that won't be happy about this. They know that communities are the driving force behind modern day fanbases. I mean, shit, what about channels that are actually given early copies of games to review? Are IGN, Gamespot, etc. gonna be affected? Google's really fuckin up YouTube right now. Further to Riku's post, can you imagine how AG would react if Google took over the Dojo?
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Axm » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:52 pm

Makes me sad if this effects PS4's direct YouTube sharing integration Sony is working on.
To Vimeo!
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby OL » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:20 pm

Well that's all pretty shitty.
I haven't gotten any notices thus far. Only time I had anything flagged was when I put a test video up for Stand Alone Complex which used music from the show (and the music was what got it flagged).
I'd like to think that the fact that I personally capture and heavily edit everything I work with would count for something, and qualify my videos as original enough to be left alone. But that may be hoping for a bit much.
Guess we'll see.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:29 pm

Axm wrote: Makes me sad if this effects PS4's direct YouTube sharing integration Sony is working on.
To Vimeo!

Maybe this has something to do with it?
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:30 pm

Riku Rose wrote: Geez Ryudo accused Peter of trying to kill him for just moving his videos to another sub forum, I'd hate to see how he reacts to Youtube actually taking one down.

That topic was pure gold.

Who Really Cares? has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Postby Crimson Ryan » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:44 pm

I remember that drama. Wasn't that the last straw for him losing his mod powers? Noticed today he lost the blue name.

OL wrote:Well that's all pretty shitty.
I haven't gotten any notices thus far. Only time I had anything flagged was when I put a test video up for Stand Alone Complex which used music from the show (and the music was what got it flagged).
I'd like to think that the fact that I personally capture and heavily edit everything I work with would count for something, and qualify my videos as original enough to be left alone. But that may be hoping for a bit much.
Guess we'll see.

Vimeo is quite good as an alternative.

Crimson Ryan has received a thanks from: OL
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Ziming » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:45 pm

I have 2-3 content id claims from a French rapper named Casus Belli. He's uses the "Memories of Distant Day" track from the Shenmue OST.

phpBB [video]

Ziming has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Postby Kenny » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:56 pm

Riku Rose wrote: Geez Ryudo accused Peter of trying to kill him for just moving his videos to another sub forum, I'd hate to see how he reacts to Youtube actually taking one down.

:lol:

And this whole thing is about Intellectual Property Theft. The suits are not liking that full Let's Plays, Full Soundtracks, and all that crap are being showcased because it violates their copyright. But I also believe they think that by doing this, people are not going to pay for the product and they lose out on funds (like they prefer people to blindly buy their product instead of watching a good chunk of it for free and making their decision not to waste their money on it if they don't like it).

When I heard the likes of Nintendo and Music companies were seizing the advertising revenue from those type of videos, I didn't really care. It's their content and they don't really add any commentary except for the stupid Pewdie Pie-like "jokes". But what bothers me if that they really wanna target people who do retrospectives, parodies, and documentaries. Those have more work put into them and actually have a goal of informing and entertaining the public with original content (like OL's SPG series and AVGN). I think those should be left alone.

I have a couple of really popular videos on my own channel (one has over 2 million views) but I don't monetize them. I didn't make them, it's not my content. I just put it up for other people to see it. One of them is being monetized by another company, but that's cause it's a song from one of their albums and i'm totally fine with that. Again, it's not my content. What really pisses me off is people who blatantly put up content that isn't theirs and attempt to monetize off of it.

Kenny has received a thanks from: OL
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby Who Really Cares? » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:57 pm

Crimson Ryan wrote: I remember that drama. Wasn't that the last straw for him losing his mod powers? Noticed today he lost the blue name.

OL wrote:Well that's all pretty shitty.
Guess we'll see.

Vimeo is quite good as an alternative.

He had already lost them if I remember right?
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

Next

Return to General Gaming