Fuku-san helping out in the basement?

(Chapter 1 | General Series Discussion)

Fuku-san helping out in the basement?

Postby BlueMue » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:11 pm

Okay, this is another "unsolved mystery" of Shenmue. I just can't figure out how to get this obscure scene where Fuku-san is coming down into the basement and gives Ryo some tips.

I'm currently going for a complete notebook and the quest to find the Phoenix mirror is really irritating around that time. There are two entries that are supposed to appear when you take 2 hours each while searching the Dojo. They didn't appear when I tried and since even the notebook guide is unsure how to get these I kinda gave up on them and moved into the basement where more of that waiting is supposed to give notebook entries. Since there's actually a screenshot of Fuku-san in the basement in Prima's official guide I had to try this one out no matter what, since I've never seen that!

Well, I had no luck and I have no idea how to make Fuku-san come down there. I tried looking at everything besides the things that give notebook entries and a lot of waiting until Ryo went to bed. I reloaded and tried again, this time just standing around the basement until 4 a.m. That's doing nothing for 19 hours!

How do you get all those entries and especially the scene with Fuku-san? Are there any prerequisites before starting to search for the mirror? Seems there have to be some or the game would simply give the scenes when you take too long while trying to figure things out.

BlueMue has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Re: Fuku-san helping out in the basement?

Postby nskachu » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:06 pm

İn my first run I needed hours (real time) to figure out where the mirror was... and no fukuhara appeared to help out. Well, it seems you have to do something else to trigger the event. Maybe you should show Fuku san the foto of Sunming and Iwao
nskachu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with feelings

Postby Giorgio » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:14 pm

I was really surprised when that scene with Fukuhara-san happened (even though I triggered it while exploring the Shenmue I Beta 0.400...) but I have figured out how to get it:
  • First, you have to don't find (and thus get) the flashlight on the Hazuki Residence or to don't buy one from a store.
  • Second, when you go down the Basement, move Ryo-san to enter it further; Ryo-san will say something like "I need a flashlight to go in."; when that happens don't do anything, just stay there and wait; after a while, Fukuhara-san will shout at you from above and a conversation will begin about where is a flashlight; Fukuhara-san will tell you where exactly is on the Hazuki Residence.

And that's it! I think... it was out of memory, anyway...
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza series

Postby BlueMue » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:30 pm

Sorry, Giorgio. That's not the scene I meant. I know that one, discovered it on my last playthrough actually.
It's also a scene that's very easily missed by many and I stumbled upon it by accident, trying to enter the dark corridor without the flashlight two or three times in a row.

Fuku-san really seems to come done there into the room itself when you're actively searching for clues there.
Just take a look at a quick pic I took from Prima's guide:

BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:14 pm

I think you just have to be down there long enough without finding the clues right?
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby Yama » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:16 pm

ShOzO MiZuKi wrote: I think you just have to be down there long enough without finding the clues right?

I know I'm late to the party and slightly off topic, but damn it's weird to see your username without a -1x-1 pixel avatar. :P

Yama has received a thanks from: Supa
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby ShOzO MiZuKi » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:21 pm

Yama wrote:
ShOzO MiZuKi wrote: I think you just have to be down there long enough without finding the clues right?

I know I'm late to the party and slightly off topic, but damn it's weird to see your username without a -1x-1 pixel avatar. :P

:lol: Shall I change it back? I thought the avatar was due for an overhaul after 10 years. Maybe in 2023 I'll change it to a picture from the 2014 Shenmue HD release.
ShOzO MiZuKi
Homeless and hungry
Machine Gun Fist

PSN: Old_Battle_Axe
XBL: TheLastR3negade
Currently playing: Yakuza 3

Postby Radar » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:02 am

I have no idea, but I hope these links can help..
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40017&start=0
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38319&start=0
viewtopic.php?p=286642#p286642
UPDATE: I Just got these 2 scenes with Fuku-san in basement :D , What I did is:
Installed Light bulb in basement, turned on the switch, ran around basement in about 2 in-game hours, then Fuku-san appeared and noticed scratches at floor. Next, I moved the shelf and again like idiot ran around basement in about 2 in-game hours, after that Fuku-san appeared again and noticed that the color of the wall is different...

Radar has received 5 thanks from: BlueMue, Giorgio, Henry Spencer, iyapol, nskachu
Radar
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Postby BlueMue » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:11 am

Oh yeah, it finally worked! Thanks a lot, Radar!
Fuku-san is really funny when he comes down the second time. He's totally creeped out about the place, it really scares him. Man I just LOVE Shenmue to no end... even after maybe already up to 30 playthroughs and hundreds of discoveries, there is STILL something new to discover. The game just never stops to give! [-o<

You really just have to run around the basement for 2 hours straight without stopping long or locking on to anything. Basically just run, walk or move the camera around the whole time. Standing around or looking at things won't do it. That's the point!

I'm pretty sure the two notebook entries in the Dojo are triggered the same way. I think I'm going to try this out soon and record all that rare footage of Fuku-san. Also might send the writer of the guide on GameFAQs the info about these entries. Both so future Shenmue players will always know how to get these.

Two picture for you to enjoy until then:

BlueMue has received 3 thanks from: Giorgio, iyapol, Radar
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Giorgio » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:44 am

WHOA! Never knew about that! That is something really new to me and utterly amazing as a discovery! Bravo. I will sure try this out next time (along with the "Old lady in Sakuragaoka giving hint to translate the letter" which I haven't done yet).
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Postby Henry Spencer » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:37 am

Holy shit, I didn't know about that one either. :shock:
Nice find, guys! Even after all these years, still new scenes to me.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby drunkensailor » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:08 pm

Giorgio wrote: I was really surprised when that scene with Fukuhara-san happened (even though I triggered it while exploring the Shenmue I Beta 0.400...) but I have figured out how to get it:
  • First, you have to don't find (and thus get) the flashlight on the Hazuki Residence or to don't buy one from a store.
  • Second, when you go down the Basement, move Ryo-san to enter it further; Ryo-san will say something like "I need a flashlight to go in."; when that happens don't do anything, just stay there and wait; after a while, Fukuhara-san will shout at you from above and a conversation will begin about where is a flashlight; Fukuhara-san will tell you where exactly is on the Hazuki Residence.

And that's it! I think... it was out of memory, anyway...

wow! I'm so glad to read things like these. I don't even think they are in faqs. I never had that scene
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: gjb1985

Postby drunkensailor » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:11 pm

Radar wrote: I have no idea, but I hope these links can help..
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40017&start=0
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38319&start=0
viewtopic.php?p=286642#p286642
UPDATE: I Just got these 2 scenes with Fuku-san in basement :D , What I did is:
Installed Light bulb in basement, turned on the switch, ran around basement in about 2 in-game hours, then Fuku-san appeared and noticed scratches at floor. Next, I moved the shelf and again like idiot ran around basement in about 2 in-game hours, after that Fuku-san appeared again and noticed that the color of the wall is different...

wow again!! never knew this or saw this. also not in any faq I think. I will remember this for next time
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby drunkensailor » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:05 pm

are there btw any other scenes, small or not, that are somewhat hard to find and are not in the secrets faq in gamefaqs? these 2 scenes in this topic for instance aren't in that faq. the faq is from 2001 I think
drunkensailor
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Giorgio » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:41 pm

drunkensailor wrote: are there btw any other scenes, small or not, that are somewhat hard to find and are not in the secrets faq in gamefaqs? these 2 scenes in this topic for instance aren't in that faq. the faq is from 2001 I think

Check this, too: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45486
Giorgio
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Next

Return to Shenmue