Hard Genesis Games!

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Hard Genesis Games!

Postby Thief » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:09 pm

Can anybody recommend me some hard Genesis games? For a while I was without most of my consoles but I just got them back. I recently ordered Alien Soldier because it looks freakin' amazing and hard. Anybody got some great Genesis games out there that are really hard (but in a good way) that I may not know about -- which is likely. I'd prefer platformers and would rather not have any RPG's... but I'm a very open person.

Plus, feel free to just gush about the genesis in this topic if you want cause it is pretty sweeeeeet.

phpBB [video]

Thief has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Re: Hard Genesis Games!

Postby Cave Johnson » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:13 pm

Target Earth, awesome game that I was never able to beat without the cheat.

Cave Johnson has received a thanks from: OL
Cave Johnson
Master of the Three Blades
Master of the Three Blades

Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: SHMUPS

Postby Sonikku » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:23 pm

Chakan.

Sonikku
News Poster
News Poster

Postby OL » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:35 pm

Cave Johnson wrote: Target Earth, awesome game that I was never able to beat without the cheat.

You sexy bastard.
Yeah, Target Earth is a beast. Excellent though. Prequel/predecessor to Cybernator on the SNES (if that means anything to you Thief), but waaay more difficult.

Rocket Knight Adventures starts out pretty moderate in difficulty, but ramps up a short way in. It's one of those where you really shouldn't be fooled by its cartoony aesthetic; this ain't no walk in the park.

One of my absolutefavorite games on the system (and I say this having little-to-no nostalgic attachment to it, since I only latched on to it a short few years ago) is Ranger X. Such an incredibly high-quality game in all ways.
I personally don't find it all that difficult, but I've also beaten it on the hardest difficulty setting three or four times now, so it might just be that I know all the ins and outs. But in most coverage I've read about it, people seem to find it especially challenging. I imagine the difficulty for them stems from that fact that the controls are very avant-garde, so there's a bit of a learning curve. There are separate buttons for shooting either left or right, so it's a bit of an odd ball as 16-bit shooters go. But once you're used to it, I don't actually think it's all that hard. But that might just be me.
Even if it ain't hard, you should still play it for the amazing graphics, unique gameplay, and inventive-as-hell levels (there's an entirely vertical level where you scale a building, and even a pretty focused "stealth" mission).
Been wanting to make my own video on it, but it's hard to find any usable information about it since it's so obscure.

phpBB [video]

OL has received 2 thanks from: Cave Johnson, Henry Spencer
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Peter » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:25 pm

Any game on hard/expert mode. Fact!!

Peter has received a thanks from: OL
Peter
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue III

PSN: TheGasmeter
Currently playing: Shenmue 2x

Postby Axm » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:29 pm

Umm Comix Zone.. ffs
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby Raithos » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:28 pm

Mazin Saga Mutant Fighter. One of my favorite Genesis titles, you defend earth from giant beasts. First you'll play a couple parts of the level human sized, before using your suit to transform into a Godzilla sized killing machine for some of the hardest boss battles.

Another one lives up to its title, Contra: Hard Corps. It's easily the most difficult Contra game to date.

Raithos has received a thanks from: Henry Spencer
Raithos
The Octopath Traveler
"After Burner...Great!"

Favorite title: What's Shenmue

Postby Crimson Ryan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:17 am

Gun star Heroes.
Crimson Ryan
Mac Tonight
Shenmue III

Postby Henry Spencer » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:56 am

Dynamite Headdy.

Rocket Knight Adventures and its sequel, Sparkster. Comix Zone is the hardest beat 'em up on the system next to Streets of Rage 3.

That Mazin Saga game that Raithos mentioned looks sweet.

And yes, Alien Soldier is a really awesome Treasure game, one of their best, I think.
Henry Spencer
Let's go Catherine!
Shenmue III

PSN: harryangel666
XBL: Magiking
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Yakuza Kiwami/Zelda: BOTW

Postby OL » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:36 pm

Oh, can't forget Rolling Thunder 2. Excellent sidescrolling shooter. A little slower than, say, Contra or Gunstar Heroes, but it's certainly difficult as hell. Great aesthetics though. James Bond-esque super spy kinda stuff. Fantastic music. Big fan of it myself.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby Thief » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:05 am

Tons of great games guys! Thankkksssss.

I went ahead and ordered Ranger-X and Rocket Knight Adventures because those were the most fun that I tried out on emulator (free demos for any game :D)

Thief has received a thanks from: OL
Thief
LAMEWAD
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Vyse Hazuky » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:22 am

There's an interesting european company (danes) that did very hard games indeed.
HG101 had a pretty good article on them a few years ago: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/zyrinx/zyrinx.htm

Apart from the difficulty the games also had interesting technical feats to them. Red Zone, which was a cult game from my childhood, having seen it in the SEGA mags, but only getting to play it much later, especially, since it had a lot of 3D effects, FMV and two portions of gameplay, since you piloted a heli but also had on-foot missions.

They went on to make the Hitman games as IO Interactive. They used to be hard, as well.

Vyse Hazuky has received 2 thanks from: OL, Ri_oh
Vyse Hazuky
blood folk jungle metal
"Keep Friends"

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:57 am

The hardest game for me on Genesis/Mega Drive was Kirby's Dream Land 3. It's another one of those "don't be fooled by the cartoony graphics" games, because it's monstrously difficult. It took me hours to even get the cartridge in the slot, and once I did, I couldn't even get past the loading screen. Proper hardcore gaming.

Let's Get Sweaty has received a thanks from: OL
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Postby Ri_oh » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:52 pm

Vyse Hazuky wrote:There's an interesting european company (danes) that did very hard games indeed.
HG101 had a pretty good article on them a few years ago: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/zyrinx/zyrinx.htm

Apart from the difficulty the games also had interesting technical feats to them. Red Zone, which was a cult game from my childhood, having seen it in the SEGA mags, but only getting to play it much later, especially, since it had a lot of 3D effects, FMV and two portions of gameplay, since you piloted a heli but also had on-foot missions.

They went on to make the Hitman games as IO Interactive. They used to be hard, as well.

Love that game. Beat it on easy as a kid. Have never been able to do it again though.

Kid Chameleon is pretty tough. Lots of branching paths. Really fun to find all the secret levels. Even on easy I'd say it's a good challenge.
Ri_oh
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

PSN: ri_oh
XBL: ri_oh86
Steam: ri_oh

Postby shengoro86 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:56 am

Dennis the Menace.

So bad its hard to even play it.

phpBB [video]