Diagnosed With Testicular Cancer :(

(Discuss literally anything here including introductions)

Re: Diagnosed With Testicular Cancer :(

Postby Mitsuzuki » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:53 pm

Great news, for sure ShenSun. Must feel like a huge relief.

Mitsuzuki has received a thanks from: ShenSun
Mitsuzuki
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Currently playing: Deep in the Destiny hole

Postby Jeff » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:40 pm

I was diagnosed with cancer as well about a month ago. Mine was skin cancer. Thankfully it didn't spread and need chemo, but I have a knarly scar on my right arm. Always thought it was a normal birthmark until it changed texture, had it checked out just to be on the safe side. A week later I'm being asked to come to the hospital quickly to remove the area around it that was removed previously for the biopsy, including the fat. My arm has a dip in it but I hope that fills in. It took about 2 weeks of stitches and two more weeks of downtime. Obviously losing a testicle is worse, and I was not prepared to share this here due to the lack of maturity of some here. But I noticed your post and if this can make you not feel alone, it was worth it.

Jeff has received 6 thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*, Axm, GrimMeNaCe, Kenny, ShenSun, Sonikku
Jeff
"Keep Friends"
"Keep Friends"

PSN: jgk1020
XBL: jgkny
Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Halo Master Chief Col

Postby ShenSun » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:23 pm

Thanks Jeff. I really appreciated you sharing your story. Cancer sucks balls. Ironic coming from me, I know.

:)

It is what it is I guess. But just to let you and everyone else know, the Dr's are confident that they caught my cancer in the earliest stage possible. No spread to the cord that connects to the testicle, lymph system, abs, chest etc. They say its about 75% that i'm already cured. Their not allowing me to take chemo as they strongly believe I dont need it. They say that there is no reason to poison my body as it could have potential long term risks. In other words, use the drugs only when you need them. For the next few years, I'll be monitored closely, just in case i am in that 25% and relapse. Check ups every month. I would like to celebrate fully, but Im gonna wait until I get my blood results back to see if everything has gone back to normal. (prior tumor).

If anyone is wondering, I haven't noticed any difference with the one testicle. Scary thing is, my groin was working perfectly well before I found out. I later learned from my pathology report, that the affected testicle was practically destroyed by the cancer, so that's probably why I haven't noticed any major change.

It's scary to think that I only went to the hospital for a slight pain, and it turn't out to be cancer. As I've said before, I encourage everyone to get a general examination once in a while, just to safe. I'm only 27. This disease can hit anyone at anytime unfortunately.

I know there are some immature guys on this forum, but if both of our stories can encourage the majority to get checked when they notice something wrong, or when they experience certain irregular symptoms, then that's a win in my book. Haters be damned.

Thanks again Jeff for informing me. It really does mean a lot. And thanks to everyone else. I know I posted this thread a while ago, but the messages still do mean the world to me. :)

I should have my blood results back hopefully before the 19th. If its all good news, then what better way to celebrate then to watch Yu Suzuki's GDC presentation. :)

Thanks again

ShenSun has received 4 thanks from: GrimMeNaCe, Jeff, mue 26, 5150
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby KiBa » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:47 pm

I am so sorry both of you were afflicted by this pernicious disease.

KiBa has received 2 thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*, ShenSun
KiBa
selfaware
"Keep Friends"

Postby UnHoly Bible » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:51 am

All this reading is a pain in my balls.
UnHoly Bible
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby mue 26 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:03 pm

You're so funny man. Not.

mue 26 has received a thanks from: ShenSun
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby FlagshipFighter » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:53 pm

Sorry to hear this, I sincerely hope for the best, take care, stay strong my friend...

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

FlagshipFighter has received a thanks from: ShenSun
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby 5150 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:32 am

Man, I'm so sorry to hear that. Hope you're staying strong!

5150 has received a thanks from: ShenSun
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Postby GrimMeNaCe » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:24 am

ShenSun wrote: Had my operation. I'm still recovering, but i'm a lot more mobile then I was a few days ago.

The next step is for them to investigate the affected testicle and determine what type of cancer it is.

They said they would call me next week to come back into the hospital in order to have my blood checked. Apparently, once you have the diseased testicle removed, you blood levels should go back to normal after 7 days.

Next, they will give me a CT scan of my body to determine if the cancer has spread.

From there, I guess further treatment begins.

On the bright side, the chest xray that they performed a week ago was completely clear. Im guessing this will have to be reconfirmed with the ct scan, but it does make me a little bit more hopeful.

Tough times ahead.

Thanks for everyone's kind messages. It really does mean a lot.

ShenSun

ShenSun wrote: Thanks Jeff. I really appreciated you sharing your story. Cancer sucks balls. Ironic coming from me, I know.

It is what it is I guess. But just to let you and everyone else know, the Dr's are confident that they caught my cancer in the earliest stage possible. No spread to the cord that connects to the testicle, lymph system, abs, chest etc. They say its about 75% that i'm already cured. Their not allowing me to take chemo as they strongly believe I dont need it. They say that there is no reason to poison my body as it could have potential long term risks. In other words, use the drugs only when you need them. For the next few years, I'll be monitored closely, just in case i am in that 25% and relapse. Check ups every month. I would like to celebrate fully, but Im gonna wait until I get my blood results back to see if everything has gone back to normal. (prior tumor).

If anyone is wondering, I haven't noticed any difference with the one testicle. Scary thing is, my groin was working perfectly well before I found out. I later learned from my pathology report, that the affected testicle was practically destroyed by the cancer, so that's probably why I haven't noticed any major change.

It's scary to think that I only went to the hospital for a slight pain, and it turn't out to be cancer. As I've said before, I encourage everyone to get a general examination once in a while, just to safe. I'm only 27. This disease can hit anyone at anytime unfortunately.

I know there are some immature guys on this forum, but if both of our stories can encourage the majority to get checked when they notice something wrong, or when they experience certain irregular symptoms, then that's a win in my book. Haters be damned.

Thanks again Jeff for informing me. It really does mean a lot. And thanks to everyone else. I know I posted this thread a while ago, but the messages still do mean the world to me. :)

I should have my blood results back hopefully before the 19th. If its all good news, then what better way to celebrate then to watch Yu Suzuki's GDC presentation. :)

Thanks again

Glad things worked out and I`m glad your surgery went well! I hope things get even better for you in the future. Keep your head up, stay strong and don`t let nothing stop you from living! God bless you brother.

GrimMeNaCe has received a thanks from: ShenSun
GrimMeNaCe
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby ShenSun » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:23 pm

Blood levels completely back to normal. Let's hope it stays that way, and let's hope that im not in that 25% that relapse.

Thanks again for everyone's support. It definitely helped me out big time during this unfortunate period. More testing will be done over the following months. They'll probably keep an eye on me for the next few years. At least now, I can move on with my life.

The next step is to slowly regain my strength. I haven't done any serious weights for well over a month. Doctor's orders are that I gotta take it easy so that I don't over stress my body or the wound. I'll take it one step at a time.

Thanks again dojo.

Last edited by ShenSun on Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ShenSun has received 4 thanks from: *Kenshin Himura*, Axm, FlagshipFighter, Rakim
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Rakim » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:45 pm

That's great. You deserve a gif.

Rakim has received a thanks from: ShenSun
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby ShenSun » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:18 pm

I thought id update this post with some general information about my condition. I hope to god that none of you have to ever go through this. However, if I can make you aware of some of the symptoms, circumstances, and issues that I faced, it could potentially help you, or someone you know down the road.

I've noticed that almost all of us on this forum are of a similar age group. 20-30. Myself, im 27.

A few weeks prior to my diagnosis, I noticed a lump on one of my testicles. I became suspicious of it as i recently saw a tv program discussing cancer. I visited my General practitioner (Family Doctor) for a check up. He informed me that it was nothing to worry about, and that it was a cyst that is extremely common in young men. Ive never had any health problems for 27 years, so i instantly thought to myself, "This guy is a doctor, and knows what he is talking about. Who am I to question his judgment". After feeling relieved, I went home and simply dismissed it. ( I later heard numerous cases of Doctors dismissing lumps, and not referring patients for further examinations due to expense)

A few weeks later, I got extremely lucky and felt pain in the testicle, which radiated to the lower back. This pain happened twice. Rather then acting all manly and dismissing it, I went straight back to the doctor's. They thought it was a torsion (twisting of the testicles), and referred me to hospital. At hospital, they performed a number of tests. I asked them to scan me, but was met with resistance. Apparently, using equipment like an ultrasound is also expensive, etc. An hour later they scanned me and found the tumor.

i wont bore you all with the rest of the details, as you can find them in this thread. However, here's some advice i have to all of you.

1) Check your testicles on a regular basis (once every 2 weeks seems reasonable). Girls, check your breast every 2 weeks as well. Get to know your private areas, and body in general for that matter, so that if something does seem out of the ordinary, you can act on it immediately.

2) A good portion of family doctors and GP'S dismiss lumps as "nothing to worry about". Ever since i was diagnosed, several others that are close to me have reported similar symptoms. Their doctor's also informed them that it is just a harmless cyst. Here's the thing however, there is no difference between a cyst and tumor lump. The only sure way to find out is to get it Scanned.

3) The lump can be painless or feel like a dull ache. Most men ignore this as having a problem down below can be embarrassing. Doctors are used to seeing genitals on a regular basis. Get over it, and get checked.

4) Other symptoms involved the scrotum becoming enlarged by fluid.

5) Back pain, abdomen pain, and coughing up blood can be signs of the cancer spreading.

Here's a video which sums up everything I've said.

phpBB [video]

5) Finally, after researching like a madman, Ive noticed that modern day medicine dismiss the idea that certain foods and drinks, can combat cancer, and restrict its growth. This was further reinforced to me by the Doctors at the cancer clinic. However. there is a ton of research on certain foods which have been proven to effect cancer cells, and micro tumors. Some cancer research groups are finally starting to come around to these findings, and are investigating them further. Below is a list of "cancer fighting foods. Foods that are good for your cells and immune system", and "foods that damage cells and enhance cancer".

Foods that help your cells and battle cancer.
1)Tumeric
2) Japanese green tea
3) Dark chocolate >70% cocao
4) Cabbage, sprouts, garlic, ginger, tomatoes, broccoli, kale, oranges etc.
5) Omega 3 fats, such as Salmon. avoid Omega 6 fats like the plague.
6) blue berrys, strawberrys etc.
7) There are tons more. Research on google for more food.

These foods contain certain chemicals that strengthen you immune system and cells. While this is by no means a cure, or a definite way to fight cancer, it could potentially help us by who knows how much percent (5%, 25%, 50%). ?

Obviously, if you already have cancer, then please go with modern day medicine. (Chemotherapy, Radiation, surgery, etc). Changing your diet, can only benefit you anyway, so there's no harm in giving it a go whilst receiving treatment, or as a prevention method.

Bad foods
1) processed food (frozen process food that you put in the oven) i.e pizza, ready made meals etc etc
2) food and drink with a high amount of sugar.
3) red meat
4) Omega 6 fats.
5) Milk chocolate, sweets etc
6) Fast food, fried food etc.

For those interested in learning more, I urge you to check out the following books.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0718156846/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1405319151/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Apparently cancer is going to double in the next 10 to 20 years. 1 in 3 individuals will get some form of cancer according to the statistics. The biggest risk factor is our diet according to researchers.

Any of you that have made it through this long post, thanks for reading.

As I've said throughout this thread, Get Yourself Checked every so often to avoid potential health issues.

Thanks again for the continued support.

ShenSun has received a thanks from: Axm
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby south carmain » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:43 am

Wait, Cysts are on the skin and look like white spots while testicular cancer is a lump on the testicle itself behind the skin. how exactly could the doctor confuse the 2? he seems like a pretty shitty doctor if you ask me.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Kenny » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:21 am

Cysts can be internal too. Not sure if they can be on testicles, but they're not always protruding from the skin.

And yeah I have a general distrust of doctors because of shit like that. They come across the same cases so often that they can dismiss something that seems so routine unless it's really obvious. So it's unfortunate you had to wait until it hurt to find out what it was really all about.

I had a couple of medical issues in the past and ended up going through a few doctors before I was satisfied. All of them were highly rated but there were a couple that didn't examine my issue closely enough.
Kenny
is Gwenpool™
Shenmue III

PSN: JamesTeeZappa
XBL: KennyNOL
Nintendo FC: FUCK THE WII-U
Steam: kenny_nol
Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: Contest of Champions iOS

Postby ShenSun » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:25 am

If there's one thing ive learnt from this experience, its not to trust a doctor's opinion. Always get a second or third assessment.

Also cysts can be internal and appear as lumps.
ShenSun
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic