Videogamer.com Article: Why Shenmue III Should Never Happen

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Postby Ziming » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:07 am

Shenmue is the greatest unfinished saga in gaming. And it should stay that way, argues Steve Burns.

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox/shenmue_ ... appen.html
Ziming
Banned
Banned

Re: Videogamer.com Article: Why Shenmue III Should Never Hap

Postby Bambi » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:03 am

While I am still keen on a release I do agree with some of what he is saying, namely that it would come as a disappointment to fans who have placed the series on a pedestal with unrealistic expectations.

In terms of the actual story I think it's possible many fans would be disappointing in the direction it's headed, it's obvious already that "magic" is going to be included.
Bambi
The Master of Unlocking
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby Axm » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:06 am

His argument is basically that nostalgia will beat our expectations down? Sorry guy, im still playing these games to this day and finding them way more satisfying then anything out there. Besides the fact that I started playing it as a teenager, the games couldnt be more relevant for me to this day.
Perhaps this guy thinks Star Wars should have ended with Empire Strikes Back and Kill Bill should have ended with vol. 1.

Sure theirs a possibility for disappointment, but tell me nobody isnt curious and wanting to see the ending to Yu Suzuki's story. We've all loved it up until Shenmue 2, introducing magic elements is the progression we all need to realize is fact in the story. I trust Yu Suzuki to direct it right.

Axm has received 4 thanks from: Giorgio, Let's Get Sweaty, MartyMcFly, Ziming
Axm
#SaveShenmueHD
News Poster

Postby MiTT3NZ » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:48 am

Well, I was disappointed by DNF. It should've been the best thing to happen to the industry since someone at Rocksteady said "let's make a Batman game". I still enjoyed it though. So, yeah, not applicable.
MiTT3NZ
Class A Cunt
Shenmue III

XBL: Mittens2317
Steam: Mittens2317
Currently playing: Football Manager 2012

Postby Yama » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:20 pm

I understand the concern, though feel it's quite the opposite. Obviously the game was groundbreaking for it's time, technically more so than anything, however it still was held back by the hardware. I feel the actual vision could be presented in a much clearer fashion this time around, especially if it were to start back at chapter one.
Yama
Shenmue Dojo Owner
Shenmue Dojo Owner

PSN: YamaMX

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:11 pm

If it does ever happen a part of me will be annoyed that Yu gave some story points away and a large part would worry that the CGI scene from that Shenmue Online video turns up.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby mue 26 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:25 pm

Argh, another one of these articles. This opinion seems en vogue right now with the cool cynical kids on the block. I'd take Dirty Dancing Havana Nights over the original any day of the week. There was also a pretty long gap between Metal Gear 2 and Metal Gear Solid, so the trend can and does get bucked. Also, Shenmue is way more of a "what if" thing than Star Wars, and that counts for a lot. Be it everything we expected or a major disappointment, I think most of us just want to know.

As for the whole "magic" thing. Shenmue was always all about the magic. How can people not see that. But it was just so tastefully and skillfully blended in there. I see no reason why Yu Suzuki wouldn't continue doing it that way. There might be the odd supernatural occurrence or floating sword, but I doubt Yu was ever going to go full Indigo Prophecy on us.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Who Really Cares? » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:34 pm

Knew it would have magic but a magic fight with a giant Phoenix and Dragon between Lan Di and Shenhua? I'll pass on that.
Who Really Cares?
Shenmue III
Shenmue III

XBL: Baihu1983
Currently playing: TitanFall

Postby BlueMue » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:18 pm

He has a point. The fact that a lot of time has passed is indeed true. But it's not like a movie sequel or any kind of sequel at all. Shenmue II ended on a massive cliffhanger. One that wasn't there because the story wasn't written any further then but because the game had to end. The story of Shenmue III is pretty much written and planed out since 15 years.

Expectations are a thing though. They are high when it comes to Shenmue III. Mine for example are way up in the coulds, with Shenmue III being just as cutting edge graphically and technically as Shenmue was in 1999. But I'm not afraid that it won't deliver that. It's pretty stupid to not want a game because it won't be as good as expected. Just for the reason that expectations are to high most of the time. If you really want the game you'll be happy if you get it and it delivers the story and that special Shenmue feeling.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby mue 26 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:55 pm

Mother 3. That was another brilliant late sequel that delivered what fans wanted. Up there with Dirty Dancing Havana Nights.
mue 26
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka Martian » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:17 pm

I want Ryo to do a kamehameha
Yokosuka Martian
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: MarcinTheMartian
XBL: YokosukaMartian
Currently playing: ..Uhh Shenmue

Postby poblequadrat » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:17 am

The thing is Shenmue is a game from a time that doesn't exist anymore. For all its originality, it's the most Sega game ever - you know that beautiful art style old 3D Sega games have? Kind of abstract and not terribly realistic, but also very detailed and high-tech? Like the early Virtua Fighters (say, VF2), or even before 3D, you know that feeling when you're playing Hang-On and the race starts, then for a moment there's no sound and the horizon is clear and you're alone, then you speed up and dramatic music starts playing? Sadly it looks like there's no place for this sort of thing anymore.

I'd like Shenmue III to be made, but only if it has this kind of atmosphere. Which I doubt, since that Sega is no more. I mean, look at the difference between your Spring Yard Zones and Launch Base Zones and the dreadful Sonic levels of today which are all speed and no atmosphere whatsoever.

Probably the death of the Dreamcast also plays a role, here, because these days you'd be pitching Shenmue to Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto fans, and good old Shenmue like it used to be just wouldn't sell. I know I wouldn't buy a PS4 or an XBox even for Shenmue, because that's all I'd play, just like I'm not buying a WiiU even though I'm the biggest Pikmin fan (there's another beautiful, atmospheric 3D game...)
poblequadrat
Fuku-san
Fuku-san

Postby Rakim » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:27 pm

poblequadrat wrote: The thing is Shenmue is a game from a time that doesn't exist anymore.

That's deep bro.

Rakim has received a thanks from: MiTT3NZ
Rakim
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby myshtuff » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:43 pm

poblequadrat wrote: The thing is Shenmue is a game from a time that doesn't exist anymore. For all its originality, it's the most Sega game ever - you know that beautiful art style old 3D Sega games have? Kind of abstract and not terribly realistic, but also very detailed and high-tech? Like the early Virtua Fighters (say, VF2), or even before 3D, you know that feeling when you're playing Hang-On and the race starts, then for a moment there's no sound and the horizon is clear and you're alone, then you speed up and dramatic music starts playing? Sadly it looks like there's no place for this sort of thing anymore.

I completely know what you mean and agree. If it didn't have this "feel" to it anymore, I would be kind of disappointed. For example, if it was a free roaming game similar to Skyrim, Assassis creed, or Castlevania Lords of shadow I don't think I would like it. I liked that deep down, up close 3rd person view where I could inspect everything and anything.

Then again, at this point I would play it any form.
myshtuff
Dojo Dirtbag
"After Burner...Great!"

PSN: Myshtuff
Steam: spivakar
Currently playing: Yakuza 6

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:46 pm

poblequadrat wrote: The thing is Shenmue is a game from a time that doesn't exist anymore. For all its originality, it's the most Sega game ever - you know that beautiful art style old 3D Sega games have? Kind of abstract and not terribly realistic, but also very detailed and high-tech? Like the early Virtua Fighters (say, VF2), or even before 3D, you know that feeling when you're playing Hang-On and the race starts, then for a moment there's no sound and the horizon is clear and you're alone, then you speed up and dramatic music starts playing? Sadly it looks like there's no place for this sort of thing anymore.

Both of your examples of the good old days are Yu Suzuki games, and he's not been involved in the decline of creativity in Sonic or any other franchise. So there's nothing to suggest he wouldn't hold development of Shenmue III to the same high standards.
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

Next

Return to Shenmue III